[Question/Feature Request] Custom Thumbnails. Tried lots of things. Still not working
I have been looking into how to make custom thumbnails for non-scraped videos in my file explorer on Kodi for Windows. I have some personal videos that don't have any associated meta data and just want to put some more appealing thumbnails than the ones that appear automatically. Apparently Kodi is suppose to automatically scan the local folder for any jpeg or png images of the same name and use that as a thumbnail but it has not done it for me.
  • I have used other video players such as MX Player on Android and having a similarly named photo works flawlessly. I have also tried "-thumbnail.jpeg" and ".thumbnail.jpeg" after the file photo file name and have still had no luck. Likewise I also understand you can do the same thing for "-fanart.jpeg", "-poster.jpeg" and so on. 

• I have also heard that you may need to scan the video to the library but I know that you cannot do that if it is a personally video as opposed to a movie or a TV show (or is there? Is there a way to force add personal videos to your Movie or TV Library)? 

• I right clicked on the folder and clicked "scan for new content" and still nothing. I go to the video settings and turn off "extract thumbnails from video files" and still to no avail will the video show up with the proper thumbnail.
@Velkro16

If the remote sites do not hold information for your movie/tv show, then you need to use NFO Files and local Artwork to scan your content into the library.

NFO files are quite simple, and there are templates on this wiki page that you copy and fill in. Just pick which you need from the top right menu on the page. Also check the screenshots so you know how/where they are saved... https://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files

Local artwork can be read by Kodi at the time of scanning the movie/tv show. See... https://kodi.wiki/view/Artwork
Ensure your artwork is the right aspect ratio otherwise it will look deformed. Check sizes here... https://kodi.wiki/view/Artwork_types

(2020-11-06, 01:18)Velkro16 Wrote: I have also tried "-thumbnail.jpeg" and ".thumbnail.jpeg" after the file photo file name and have still had no luck.
Wrong names. I don't know where you are trying to use these (movies/tv show/episodes) so check the links above

(2020-11-06, 01:18)Velkro16 Wrote: Likewise I also understand you can do the same thing for "-fanart.jpeg", "-poster.jpeg" and so on. 
Yes.

(2020-11-06, 01:18)Velkro16 Wrote: I have also heard that you may need to scan the video to the library but I know that you cannot do that if it is a personally video as opposed to a movie or a TV show (or is there? Is there a way to force add personal videos to your Movie or TV Library)? 
Yes NFO Files

(2020-11-06, 01:18)Velkro16 Wrote:
  • I right clicked on the folder and clicked "scan for new content" and still nothing. I go to the video settings and turn off "extract thumbnails from video files" and still to no avail will the video show up with the proper thumbnail.
Nothing will happen without the nfo file.

Let us know if you get stuck.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Question/Feature Request] Custom Thumbnails. Tried lots of things. Still not working0