No passthrough after latest FireOS Update 6.2.7.7
Hi,

maybe I got it wrong, but with the latest pre-release from Kodi.tv (Kodi v19 "Matrix" Beta 2) I still have passthrough working for AC3 and DTS. 
Only when it comes to more then 6 channels or Audiotrack is "HD" it outputs 2.0.

Regards
Christian
(2020-12-15, 09:45)dolmar Wrote: Hi,

maybe I got it wrong, but with the latest pre-release from Kodi.tv (Kodi v19 "Matrix" Beta 2) I still have passthrough working for AC3 and DTS. 
Only when it comes to more then 6 channels or Audiotrack is "HD" it outputs 2.0.

Regards
Christian
do you use firetv stick 4k or what device do you use? and fireos version 6.2.7.7?
(2020-12-14, 04:21)fritsch Wrote: These settings should work:

Choose: Audiotrack (RAW Packer) as your passthrough device
Speakers 2.0 (this is highly important)
Enable Dolby Transcoding
Enable AC3 and E-AC3
_keep everything else_ disabled.

Edit: The above device is only available in v19 version or in (now deprecated as all was merged) fritschfiretv versions.

I checked my FireTV 4K stick now again and the OS version I am running is 6.2.7.6 what it says is the latest version for my device. (recheck for newer version was done 5 minutes ago)

But I do see the same behavior. So when I enable all the passthrough options and set my channels to 7.1 I do get DTS and AC3 up to 5.1 channels. 
DTS HD is outputted as just DTS and e.g. TrueHD 2.0 is send to my AVR. 

I now changed the settings like @fritsch was posting and I now get Dolby Digital+ (what is PCM I guess?) up to 5.1 channels. My AVR never sees more then these 5.1 channels, doesn't matter what I do. 
Also TrueHD Audiotrack is now send to AVR as 5.1 but I am missing DTS now... what is something I can live with Wink
(2020-12-14, 04:21)fritsch Wrote: Seems they plain removed support for IEC format, or better said: Enumerate it, but then break it - no idea if by intention or not.

These settings should work:

Enable Dolby Transcoding
Enable AC3 and E-AC3

Edit: The above device is only available in v19 version or in (now deprecated as all was merged) fritschfiretv versions.
Thumbs Down 
(2020-12-10, 07:33)DipSur Wrote:
(2020-12-03, 20:31)misterboo Wrote: Yesterday my FireTV 4K updated to FireOS 6.2.7.7

I just noticed that audio passthrough is gone in Kodi 18.9. Anyone else have this problem?

This is due to an update of the FireStick from Amazon. I was able to fix this by doing the following, unfortunately you cannot keep your existing build. 
Uninstall Kodi. Then download this version of Kodi apk,  kodi-20201031-3dfcc21e-aftv4k-armeabi-v7a.apk from the site http://ftp.igh.cnrs.fr/pub/xbmc/xbmc/tes...droid/arm/
This is a special build of Kodi 18.9 for FireStick.
After installing, go to System->Audio (in Expert Mode) and change the settings as below:
Audio Passthrough: Enable
Passthrough Output Device: AudioTrack(RAW) .... This is the important bit.
Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver: Enable
Enable Dolby Digital (AC3) Transcoding: Enable
Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC3) capable receiver: Enable
Leave all the rest of Audio settings to DEFAULT

That's it. Now you will get DD+ in yout AV receiver and also ATMOS from Netflix if you have Premium subscription.
(2020-12-15, 12:56)dolmar Wrote:
(2020-12-14, 04:21)fritsch Wrote:  

But I do see the same behavior. So when I enable all the passthrough options and set my channels to 7.1 I do get DTS and AC3 up to 5.1 channels. 

I now changed the settings like @fritsch was posting and I now get Dolby Digital+ (what is PCM I guess?) up to 5.1 channels. My AVR never sees more then these 5.1 channels, doesn't matter what I do. 
Also TrueHD Audiotrack is now send to AVR as 5.1 but I am missing DTS now... what is something I can live with Wink
so your receiver can support HD surround audio tracks and you can live without them? send that receiver my way and my nvidia shield will put those formats to good use.  the settings in kodi audio under pass-through are only there to tell which audio tracks to NOT decode internally but send the data straight to the equipment to let it decode it.  the settings above pass-through will tell kodi how to handle any format NOT being passed which will either be an upsample OR downsample depending on how many channels you tell it you're running.  someone will surely correct me if I'm wrong I hope!  for me, a lot of my movie files are either DTS-HD Master Audio or Atmos or TrueHD.  While I would love to have equipment that decodes everything to its fullest potential it is still nice to have the hardware (shield) that sends the raw data regardless of my soundbar's official support and then let it potentially strip out that extra Atmos or HD data it can't process and instread use the base audio track (DTS/DolbyD) which display in my soundbar app during file playback
(2020-12-18, 13:09)Undivide Wrote:
(2020-12-15, 12:56)dolmar Wrote:
(2020-12-14, 04:21)fritsch Wrote:  

so your receiver can support HD surround audio tracks and you can live without them? send that receiver my way and my nvidia shield will put those formats to good use.  the settings in kodi audio under pass-through are only there to tell which audio tracks to NOT decode internally but send the data straight to the equipment to let it decode it.  the settings above pass-through will tell kodi how to handle any format NOT being passed which will either be an upsample OR downsample depending on how many channels you tell it you're running.  someone will surely correct me if I'm wrong I hope!  for me, a lot of my movie files are either DTS-HD Master Audio or Atmos or TrueHD.  While I would love to have equipment that decodes everything to its fullest potential it is still nice to have the hardware (shield) that sends the raw data regardless of my soundbar's official support and then let it potentially strip out that extra Atmos or HD data it can't process and instread use the base audio track (DTS/DolbyD) which display in my soundbar app during file playback
well this is something one can argue about! ...HD Audio is not HD Audio because a blue or green LED or Atmos Logo on your Receiver or Soundbar is "switched on".
to be honest I dont care if my receiver shows "DTS" or "Multi In". I dont here any difference when PCM is send to my AVR...
(2020-12-14, 04:21)fritsch Wrote: Seems they plain removed support for IEC format, or better said: Enumerate it, but then break it - no idea if by intention or not.

These settings should work:

Enable Dolby Transcoding
Enable AC3 and E-AC3

Note that the FireTV will transcode the transcoded audio to DD+...if you have it set to "best". Maybe if you set it to DD then it won't transcode, not sure.
(2020-12-18, 15:35)dolmar Wrote: to be honest I dont care if my receiver shows "DTS" or "Multi In". I dont here any difference when PCM is send to my AVR...

Well they broke PCM *and* DTS so we have neither.
(2020-12-10, 07:32)DipSur Wrote:
(2020-12-03, 20:31)misterboo Wrote: This is due to an update of the FireStick from Amazon. I was able to fix this by doing the following, unfortunately you cannot keep your existing build. 
Uninstall Kodi. Then download this version of Kodi apk,  kodi-20201031-3dfcc21e-aftv4k-armeabi-v7a.apk from the site http://ftp.igh.cnrs.fr/pub/xbmc/xbmc/tes...droid/arm/
This is a special build of Kodi 18.9 for FireStick.
After installing, go to System->Audio (in Expert Mode) and change the settings as below:
Audio Passthrough: Enable
Passthrough Output Device: AudioTrack(RAW) .... This is the important bit.
Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver: Enable
Enable Dolby Digital (AC3) Transcoding: Enable
Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC3) capable receiver: Enable
Leave all the rest of Audio settings to DEFAULT

That's it. Now you will get DD+ in yout AV receiver and also ATMOS from Netflix if you have Premium subscription.

I followed the steps as above I am now able to get 5.1 AC3 but not 5.1 ACC is there a setting I need to enable this.
If you have set Speakers to 2.0 as recommended and enabled Dolby Transcoding and enabling AC3 and keep everything else disabled (if your box can do DD+, you can enable that as well), every multi-channel input (Be it DTS or DTS-HD or TrueHD or AAC 5.1 or flac 5.1 or whatever 7.0) will be encoded to 5.1 Dolby. So carefuly check your settings. Keep in mind: with those settings you will only ever see Dolby on the Soundbar / AVR.

As amazon has broken IEC output, you need to use a v19 (beta2 or nightly - nightly suggested) and change the Passthrough device to RAW.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2020-12-20, 16:05)fritsch Wrote: First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

Then hope some dickheads don't break everything with an update...

Haven't seen anyone mention it, but a temp fix is to just disable passthrough. I mean if you just want to hear audio and don't want to install different builds just yet. My 4KFS connected to my AVR is set to "Always Dolby Digital" as I have the DD+ bug (chirps/hisses). So after jumping through a bunch of hoops I'd still be left with Dolby only. Guess I'll buckle down and buy the Shield for the AVR.
(2020-12-23, 01:46)burcs Wrote:
(2020-12-20, 16:05)fritsch Wrote: Haven't seen anyone mention it, but a temp fix is to just disable passthrough. I mean if you just want to hear audio and don't want to install different builds just yet. My 4KFS connected to my AVR is set to "Always Dolby Digital" as I have the DD+ bug (chirps/hisses). So after jumping through a bunch of hoops I'd still be left with Dolby only. Guess I'll buckle down and buy the Shield for the AVR.
yeah you could disable passthrough but some legit audio will still passthrough so if you're only playing files with those audio streams its no big deal.  if you want anything higher than DD 5.1 then I highly recommend the shield pro.  its a legit powerful device and I am so impressed with it.  after updating it to the latest version I loaded up kodi beta through Google play store and everything is pushing out great.  waiting on my new nakamichi soundbar to come in next week!
(2020-12-23, 01:46)burcs Wrote:
(2020-12-20, 16:05)fritsch Wrote: First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

Then hope some dickheads don't break everything with an update...

Haven't seen anyone mention it, but a temp fix is to just disable passthrough. I mean if you just want to hear audio and don't want to install different builds just yet. My 4KFS connected to my AVR is set to "Always Dolby Digital" as I have the DD+ bug (chirps/hisses). So after jumping through a bunch of hoops I'd still be left with Dolby only. Guess I'll buckle down and buy the Shield for the AVR.
I am sorry for going slightly off topic here, but those chirps and hisses are plaguing me too! I was trying to get rid of those forever. Is there any source of information you could lead me to regarding this issue?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No passthrough after latest FireOS Update 6.2.7.70