Kodi on Raspberry Pi - Should I get a TV HAT or USB tuner like Hauppage
First post here, please be kind.  I'm going to be installing Kodi (perhaps Libreelec) on a new Raspberry Pi 4B.  I have an antenna for over the air HD, and I want to get a TV tuner.  The Pi 4 has a TV tuner HAT, but that adds heat and overhead to the PI.  I'm planning on outputting KODI to the TV locally via HDMI, so not networked, not a second machine.

Should I get the TV HAT or buy a USB dual tuner like the Hauppage ones?  Pretend cost is not an object please, just looking for the best results and don't want to overload my KODI.

Thanks
I did the traditional client/server design for my system. I'm running nextPvr on my backend server (Windows 10) with the RPi's connected by WiFi. In my case I have multiple TVs each with the own RPi. This setup also allows me to watch TV on my phone & tablets. Watching TV also includes watching recordings that can be initiated from any device.

I also have an addon I wrote called Live TV Playlist that let's me schedule my favorite shows for viewing. The addon automatically changes the channel to my favorite TV shows 5 seconds before they start which has eliminated the need for me to remember. I just sit back and enjoy watching TV.
I don't understand how that is an answer to my question.

Is it better to have a hat, or a separate tuner like Hauppage, pros and cons?

Appreciate all viewpoints.
The Pi hat is a single tuner. Some dual tuners (hauppauge) can only use one tuner with libreelec. Maybe that has changed now. So two USB single tuners (Xbox tv tuner is cheap on eBay) will allow you to watch tv and record at the same time.

My advice would be to use LibreElec with TVHeadend.
My windows nextPVR has a Hauppauge quad tuner installed. That configuration allows me to watch and record multiple channels. Which a single tuner HAT on a Pi would not be capable of doing.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi on Raspberry Pi - Should I get a TV HAT or USB tuner like Hauppage0