Kodi/EmbyCon/Embuary no video with HEVC encoded files
Hello Forum,

I am recently back into the Kodi world and using Rasberry Pi with LibreELEC and EmbyCon as the client interface to my Emby server.  I loaded up the Embuary Skin yesterday and loved it.  I have, however, come to discover an oddity with this configuration in that when I play a video file with HEVC, I get no video, just a black screen.  If I disable the Embuary skin and go back to the default Kodi skin, everything plays fine as expected. Emby sees no issues and continues to direct play the file.  If I force transcoding for the HEVC files, then I get video (although the transcoded video is not near as good as direct playing as we all know). 

Has anyone else run into this?

LibrElec 9.2.6
Kodi 18.9 Leia
EmbyCon 1.9.106
Embuary 18.8.9
Pi 3B+
(2021-01-22, 15:42)ieblj01 Wrote: when I play a video file with HEVC, I get no video, just a black screen.

Playing a video shouldn't matter which skin is active or where the video file comes from.
Doing HEVC files on a RPI4 is still a work in progress, in the latest test builds (for Kodi 19) now should work fine with 4K30fps files.
(2021-01-22, 21:53)Klojum Wrote:
(2021-01-22, 15:42)ieblj01 Wrote: when I play a video file with HEVC, I get no video, just a black screen.

Playing a video shouldn't matter which skin is active or where the video file comes from.
Doing HEVC files on a RPI4 is still a work in progress, in the latest test builds (for Kodi 19) now should work fine with 4K30fps files.
I agree.   I find it odd as well that the skin I have configured stops the video from playing correctly, but it does.  HEVC files play fine with no trancoding needed as long as I don't have the Embuary skin enabled.
And just for more information, I have Pi 3B+ units at the moment.
(2021-01-22, 22:19)ieblj01 Wrote: And just for more information, I have Pi 3B+ units at the moment.
Hmm.. One minor detail that would have been nice to know in the opening post Wink

Providing a debug log (wiki) would be a good start. Using the default/system Estuary skin from the start is much recommended.
(2021-01-22, 23:13)Klojum Wrote:
(2021-01-22, 22:19)ieblj01 Wrote: And just for more information, I have Pi 3B+ units at the moment.
Hmm.. One minor detail that would have been nice to know in the opening post Wink

Providing a debug log (wiki) would be a good start. Using the default/system Estuary skin from the start is much recommended.

Yeah, sorry about that.  Been one of those days.  I will see about grabbing the logs and reproducing the issue.
OK. I set Estuary to be the skin and then restarted.  Then I went into EmbyCon and started an episode of That 70s Show with is HEVC.  It played fine, so then I stopped it and configured Kodi to use the Embuary skin and then once it had done its think to the UI, i started the same episode of the show and it just a black screen with audio, then after a few seconds, it completely stopped playing.

Log file:  https://paste.kodi.tv/edatomizuq

Thanks!
(2021-01-22, 23:44)ieblj01 Wrote: Log file

Unfortunately, your Kodi setup also contains a certain repository and linked add-ons which are on Kodi's list of banned add-ons. As per our forum rules (wiki) and piracy policy (wiki), no (further) support will be available as long any type of add-on, that facilitates video piracy, is present.

So either you clean up your Kodi setup, or there will be a problem.
The choice is yours.
(2021-01-22, 23:56)Klojum Wrote:
(2021-01-22, 23:44)ieblj01 Wrote: Log file

Unfortunately, your Kodi setup also contains a certain repository and linked add-ons which are on Kodi's list of banned add-ons. As per our forum rules (wiki) and piracy policy (wiki), no (further) support will be available as long any type of add-on, that facilitates video piracy, is present.

So either you clean up your Kodi setup, or there will be a problem.
The choice is yours.
Sorry, lots of old configs in there.  I will clean it up.
Blowing the entire install away in order to make sure no residual configurations are still present.  Once I have it rebuilt and reproduce the issue, I will post new log file.
new log from freshly rebuilt system

https://paste.kodi.tv/ulahanabap
2021-01-22 18:33:55.646 T:1937680832 NOTICE: Disabled debug logging due to GUI setting. Level 0.

I'm gonna harass you one more time... Always enable debugging in Kodi first before trouble-shooting.
Not being a video-guru myself, errors are already in the log, but hopefully others can step in there.
(2021-01-23, 01:43)Klojum Wrote: 2021-01-22 18:33:55.646 T:1937680832 NOTICE: Disabled debug logging due to GUI setting. Level 0.

I'm gonna harass you one more time... Always enable debugging in Kodi first before trouble-shooting.
Not being a video-guru myself, errors are already in the log, but hopefully others can step in there.

Damn it!  I am just tripping over myself today.  Definitely out of practice with Kodi as you can tell.  I will get that corrected and get another file uploaded ASAP.
Hopefully the 3rd times the charm! Smile  I tried to enable specific module verbose logging as well, but it made the file too large, so just non-verbose debugging here:

https://paste.kodi.tv/utifizupek
@ieblj01 

from where do you start the playback? from a widget? if yes, which one? does it make a difference if you start the playback from addons -> embycon?

The EmbyCon integration is a pita, because I use this addon as a API wrapper with my own calls. Changes to the API or EmbyCon can result in such scenarios.
Main: Lancool II Mesh  - Ryzen 9 5900x - MSI x570 Unify - Zotac RTX 3080 AMP HOLO - 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600 CL16 -  EVO 960 M.2 250GB / EVO 940 250GB / MX100 512GB /  Crucial P1 2TB / WD Blue 3D Nand 2TB 
Sound: Saxx AS30 DSP - Beyer Dynamic Custom One Pro 
TV: Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro- Adalight 114x LEDs - Sony 65XG9505 - Kodi / Emby - Yamaha RX-V683 - Heco Victa 700/101/251a + Dynavoice Magic FX-4
Server: i3 Skylake - 8GB - OMV4 - 22TB Storage

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi/EmbyCon/Embuary no video with HEVC encoded files0