Does scraping change the MP4 file?
Interesting.  After scraping my TV files and exporting the NFO files, I backed up.  My backup only backs up changed items or new items.  Surprised that on the backup target, the file sync deleted all my MP4 files and then wrote back the same MP4 files.  That would indicate the files changed.  My theory is that scraping changes the metadata on the file.  It doesn't just write a library file somewhere.  Is that correct?
(2021-02-19, 19:01)wdpcpa Wrote: scraping changes the metadata on the file.
You scrape, and the scraper brings in the meta-data. Should you re-scrape manually, then new data would be imported should there be any changes. Likewise for scraping with a different scraper if you get a requester that suggests cleaning up the old data. Kodi always checks in the movie folder for meta-data and in manual mode would offer to pull in the local information or exit to the web for new stuff.
(2021-02-19, 19:01)wdpcpa Wrote: the file sync deleted all my MP4 files and then wrote back the same MP4 files
Gawdfrees; that's sounds risky.
(2021-02-19, 19:01)wdpcpa Wrote: It doesn't just write a library file
It does write a library file depending on the media. e.g. in the userdata/database/MyVideos119.db would be a matrix video library. The artwork is kept in the thumbnail folder and is what makes Kodi and a local cache quick enough to be a palatable gui for large collections. The export function just writes all of this stuff into the movie folder (it's not really needed and seen as a back-up). Should you lose your set-up (scramble o/s etc.) a re-scrape will 'first' check the local sources and if it finds the meta-data available in the folder, that gets used first; making re-scrapes fast.

Of course if one should edit the meta-data in the local movie folder, a rescan using the local information will import those edits into Kodi's library. If all this seems confusing, it's because I haven't had my coffee yet, feel free to throw more questions.

Just use the Kodi 'export' to separate files function, it will write all the meta-data & art to the movies or TV show's folder.
(2021-02-19, 20:01)PatK Wrote:
(2021-02-19, 19:01)wdpcpa Wrote: scraping changes the metadata on the file.
You scrape, and the scraper brings in the meta-data. Should you re-scrape manually, then new data would be imported should there be any changes. Likewise for scraping with a different scraper if you get a requester that suggests cleaning up the old data. Kodi always checks in the movie folder for meta-data and in manual mode would offer to pull in the local information or exit to the web for new stuff.
(2021-02-19, 19:01)wdpcpa Wrote: the file sync deleted all my MP4 files and then wrote back the same MP4 files
Gawdfrees; that's sounds risky.
(2021-02-19, 19:01)wdpcpa Wrote: It doesn't just write a library file

Yep - sounds risky.  I use the program "Free File Sync" to backup my library.  The first thing Free File Sync does is compare the source folder to the backup target folder.  If they are exactly the same then there is nothing to sync.  But let's say I change the name of a MP4 file.  Say I change the name from "Justified Episode 1" to "Another Day in Harlan".  Then it will delete "Justified Episode 1" then write back the file "Another Day In Harlan".  What if instead I edit "Justified Episode 1" and changed the metadata title with a video editor.  File name is still the same but the metadata changed.  I think Free File Sync will do the same as renaming the file.  I think,  So my theory is that is what happen.  The file itself got changed when scraped.  It didn't JUST  add library info to a new Kodi library file.  Is that correct?

It really doesn't hurt anything to delete and add back MKV and MP4 files.  It just makes the backup take a long time.  In this case, 24 hours.  I had expected Free File Sync to just write the NFO files to the target.
(2021-02-19, 20:45)wdpcpa Wrote: The file itself got changed when scraped.  It didn't JUST  add library info to a new Kodi library file.  Is that correct?
No, not correct. There is no code in Kodi to edit video or music files. Kodi cannot write metadata into video or music files.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2021-02-19, 20:45)wdpcpa Wrote: The file itself got changed when scraped.  It didn't JUST  add library info to a new Kodi library file.  Is that correct?
I'm a little fuzzy to-day and find it hard to follow along your thought thread as I'm not sure of the functionality of Free File Sync.

Let me re-iterate, that no video files is ever changed in Kodi 'unless the delete flag is up'. You can fool Kodi by copying a 'dummy.mkv' file or renaming an .avi extension to .mkv and Kodi will play it or in the case of Media stubs (wiki) create a library listing. Think of the library file as an internal database of which the content is added & subtracted as it compares it's listings against the real meta-data in the o/s source folders. This process is in the order of minutes, using the desired scraper of choice with the setting tag instructions you have allocated and is the preferred method of 'back-up'.

I have seen programs like 'Free File Sync' and for what it's worth, eventually they will let you down if you're relying on that as a kind of back-up.
(2021-02-19, 21:14)Karellen Wrote:
No, not correct. There is no code in Kodi to edit video or music files. Kodi cannot write metadata into video or music files.

Thanks.  Good to know.  I have to find another theory.
(2021-02-19, 21:18)PatK Wrote:
(2021-02-19, 20:45)wdpcpa Wrote:  
I have seen programs like 'Free File Sync' and for what it's worth, eventually they will let you down if you're relying on that as a kind of back-up.
I have used it for years.  That may be the case.  Thanks for your kind attention to my question.
Also I'm pretty sure there is no way for Kodi to change file meta data, like ctime, mtime or (maybe) atime.  I'm assuming your files are in NTFS.  You might check what NTFS metadata your sync program uses.

scott s.
(2021-02-19, 22:36)scott967 Wrote: Also I'm pretty sure there is no way for Kodi to change file meta data, like ctime, mtime or (maybe) atime.  I'm assuming your files are in NTFS.  You might check what NTFS metadata your sync program uses.

scott s.

Thanks Scott.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Does scraping change the MP4 file?0