Kodi gets stuck at end of video stream?
I have a new Sony KD-48A9 Android 9.0 television. I've installed Kodi on it and it works quite well using my local file server (over NFS and MariaDB database), except Kodi often gets "stuck" at the end of a video stream. This happens about half of the time if you play a video file to the end, or when you "stop" some net-streamed video. Once Kodi is stuck in a black screen, it no longer reacts to any buttons, and the only option is to use the Android "Force stop" function on Kodi. Thankfully it restarts quickly, and has updated the database correctly.

I've never seen this behavior on similar Kodi setups I've configured on Linux, Android, Raspberry Pi or Minix. Before we go into more thorough debugging of what's happening, has anyone seen this kind of stuff before and immediately knows what the issue is?
(2021-02-19, 19:28)ExTechOp Wrote: I have a new Sony KD-48A9 Android 9.0 television. I've installed Kodi on it and it works quite well using my local file server (over NFS and MariaDB database), except Kodi often gets "stuck" at the end of a video stream. This happens about half of the time if you play a video file to the end, or when you "stop" some net-streamed video. Once Kodi is stuck in a black screen, it no longer reacts to any buttons, and the only option is to use the Android "Force stop" function on Kodi. Thankfully it restarts quickly, and has updated the database correctly.

I've never seen this behavior on similar Kodi setups I've configured on Linux, Android, Raspberry Pi or Minix. Before we go into more thorough debugging of what's happening, has anyone seen this kind of stuff before and immediately knows what the issue is?
As nobody has replied, I assume this means this isn't something that commonly happens to people?
You are not alone in this, I have the same issue. I use a SQL-Server shared database on a PC and play the content from a Xiaomi TV over SMB. It sometimes happens what you describe: it gets stuck at the end of the video with a black screen and KODI stops responding. I have to restart the TV, but fortunately the database has been updated correctly (watch status and last playback). I can't say how often it happens, but I would say 25% -50% of the time. It only happens for video streams -I have no issues playing music. This problem started happening about a month or two ago, but it had never happened before. I have inspected the KODI log, but haven't found any error message. Since I cannot foresee when it will happen or how to reproduce it, I haven't been able to do a test with the debug mode on, so I haven't reported it either. I thought it could be a problem with the network, but it could be related to some add-on. Since I don't use my PC to play content in KODI, I can't tell if this is a TV-only problem. I haven't tested the new Matrix version yet, btw.
(2021-02-25, 12:35)Hebotsuki Wrote: You are not alone in this, I have the same issue. I use a SQL-Server shared database on a PC and play the content from a Xiaomi TV over SMB. It sometimes happens what you describe: it gets stuck at the end of the video with a black screen and KODI stops responding. I have to restart the TV, but fortunately the database has been updated correctly (watch status and last playback). I can't say how often it happens, but I would say 25% -50% of the time. It only happens for video streams -I have no issues playing music. This problem started happening about a month or two ago, but it had never happened before. I have inspected the KODI log, but haven't found any error message. Since I cannot foresee when it will happen or how to reproduce it, I haven't been able to do a test with the debug mode on, so I haven't reported it either. I thought it could be a problem with the network, but it could be related to some add-on. Since I don't use my PC to play content in KODI, I can't tell if this is a TV-only problem. I haven't tested the new Matrix version yet, btw.
As it happens, the Kodi on my Android television auto-updated to version 19.0 (Matrix), and this seems to have cleared this issue. Of course, Matrix has very few add-ons available at this point, so it's a bit hard to determine one of those was the cause of the problem.

As I noted in my original text, I felt it was more of a video (perhaps mode switching) issue than a network issue. You wouldn't happen to use the Aerial screensaver on your Android television, as I did on 18.9 (Leia) version, would you?
(2021-02-25, 13:39)ExTechOp Wrote:
(2021-02-25, 12:35)Hebotsuki Wrote: You are not alone in this, I have the same issue. I use a SQL-Server shared database on a PC and play the content from a Xiaomi TV over SMB. It sometimes happens what you describe: it gets stuck at the end of the video with a black screen and KODI stops responding. I have to restart the TV, but fortunately the database has been updated correctly (watch status and last playback). I can't say how often it happens, but I would say 25% -50% of the time. It only happens for video streams -I have no issues playing music. This problem started happening about a month or two ago, but it had never happened before. I have inspected the KODI log, but haven't found any error message. Since I cannot foresee when it will happen or how to reproduce it, I haven't been able to do a test with the debug mode on, so I haven't reported it either. I thought it could be a problem with the network, but it could be related to some add-on. Since I don't use my PC to play content in KODI, I can't tell if this is a TV-only problem. I haven't tested the new Matrix version yet, btw.
As it happens, the Kodi on my Android television auto-updated to version 19.0 (Matrix), and this seems to have cleared this issue. Of course, Matrix has very few add-ons available at this point, so it's a bit hard to determine one of those was the cause of the problem.

As I noted in my original text, I felt it was more of a video (perhaps mode switching) issue than a network issue. You wouldn't happen to use the Aerial screensaver on your Android television, as I did on 18.9 (Leia) version, would you?
No, I don't use the Arial screensaver that you mention, I didn't even know it existed. Although there's a screensaver on my TV, but couldn't say which one, I think the one that comes with Android. Anyway, I don't think it's related because this issue started happening recently, but who knows. My TV also got updated to Matrix, but I haven't tested it yet–I expect try Matrix this weekend. If the issue is gone, maybe it was caused by some add-on that got deactivated in Matrix.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi gets stuck at end of video stream?0