What is Kodi's Projected path to the future?
I'm prefacing this with this statement:

[mod edit] "Warning: controversial content." the click bate title has been modified to reflect post. [PatK]

I am not trying to troll this forum, take away from the work currently being performed and in the past, or steer anyone to another product.

Having said that, and being in the HTPC THING for over 20 years, I have to share concerns. When all of this started, things were very different. We had MP3s we wanted to get through with a remote. Then we had DVDs. And so on and so forth. That’s what these interfaces were for (to get to those items and play them). While folks (including me) still use that stuff at a decreasing level each day, the way we consume has become almost strictly through streaming.

This is where the dilemma is. Now what? My cheapo smart tv can now offer and interface to YouTube (we all use it), subscribe, unsubscribe, watch live tv, Netflix, prime, etc etc etc..

The last thread holding me onto this is the HOPES for support of this streaming and the fact that part of me still likes Windows gaming and emulating.

But now what? I’m finding myself alt-tabbing between a web browser to Kodi but only for the NAS-stored movies and to launch games and then quickly back.

Am I on an island here with these thoughts? Are others just using other Platforms so don’t have these dilemmas?
You want an internet browser in Kodi for your online browsing/streaming, as you already stated in other threads/posts. We're not there yet.

And personally I feel that switching between OS applications via a single "Alt-TAB" still works much faster & smoother than changing to an internal web browser inside Kodi will be.

I don't see many big changes happening in Kodi unless a rigorous overhaul of code and the skin engine is implemented. There is no such plan.
Quote:You want an internet browser in Kodi for your online browsing/streaming, as you already stated in other threads/posts. We're not there yet.
I'm not sure that's a fair representation of my desire. I believe my desire would be the same as anyone using streaming services and websites...something that allows me to do that with a remote and without needing to think too hard about it. 
Quote:And personally I feel that switching between OS applications via a single "Alt-TAB" still works much faster & smoother than changing to an internal web browser inside Kodi will be.

While I agree that it is faster (that's why I use it), it's not something I can ask my wife to do (or a guest). 
Quote:I don't see many big changes happening in Kodi unless a rigorous overhaul of code and the skin engine is implemented. There is no such plan.
That's what I'm afraid of and why I'm not as optimistic as I'd like to be about a future for hobbyist HTPCing.
(2021-03-08, 19:29)debennett2 Wrote: My cheapo smart tv can now offer and interface to YouTube (we all use it), subscribe, unsubscribe, watch live tv, Netflix, prime, etc etc etc..
Kodi can do all of those things, maybe the GUI is not as user-friendly so perhaps that could be worked on in the future, allowing addon creators more scope to optimise the UI. I don't know, but I'd say Kodi has a few more years left in it yet.
(2021-03-08, 21:36)FXB78 Wrote:
(2021-03-08, 19:29)debennett2 Wrote: My cheapo smart tv can now offer and interface to YouTube (we all use it), subscribe, unsubscribe, watch live tv, Netflix, prime, etc etc etc..
Kodi can do all of those things, maybe the GUI is not as user-friendly so perhaps that could be worked on in the future, allowing addon creators more scope to optimise the UI. I don't know, but I'd say Kodi has a few more years left in it yet.
I use Kodi for a number of subscripton services, and it all works great.
We are seeing a movement from subscribed cable source packages to subscribed internet packages, this was predictable (2-way-TV). Doesn't look like a big cost advantage in this move, but selection of packages, varieties and control have increased. If theatres still have a place in world with televisions, then Kodi will still has a place with home theatre aficionados (not withstanding covid-19 and it's decimating effect on B&M movie theatres). I guess in your post, you are announcing your personal change of interest, to subscribed internet offerings and suggest that Kodi features should morph along with your interests or risk falling into disuse.

If you are prepared to throw out your accumulated movies, music, ota tuners, control over content without oversight, then these large corporations are waiting to please.     

I still see Kodi as my go-to for my personal media collection, the interface and library are head and shoulders above most of the alternatives, for the most part it's independent of high speed internet, offers PQ and optimizations un-matched, the price is right, support is alive, and I could go on infinitium you know.
I have to say, I agree with PatK.

Not everyone has an overriding interest in "streaming-only" services. I do subscribe to a couple, but they aren't my main interest, nor are they even what some here would call massively popular. I have no interest in Netflix, Spotify or iTunes. I have an Amazon Prime account, and an Amazon Fire TV (1st Gen) box to go with it, I hardly ever use it. About the only streaming service I have even the remotest interest in, is YouTube, and that's pretty much it. I didn't install Kodi for access to streaming services. I installed it to be a gateway to playback of my own, locally stored, media collection. The addition of OTA-TV support was a welcome addition (It wasn't natively supported when I first started using Kodi/XBMC).

Much as I posted many years ago, on another thread regarding a similar topic, Kodi will never be "all things, to all people". To try and cater to all tastes would mean it would end up never getting new releases, not to mention be mired in bugfix hell. The kind of functionality you seek, I would suggest, is not the aim or responsibility, nor should it be, of the Kodi team. Rather, it's their aim to provide a base platform that works, on which others can then expand. The literal plethora of legal, 3rd-party addons available in the official repo (including streaming apps, funnily enough) are a testament to that. Don't forget, it's not like your being forced to use it, much less pay for it.

At the risk of sounding really arrogant/snarky (not my intention), I could point out, that there's nothing preventing you from submitting an addon, or addons, that satisfy the kind of functionality you desire. That would obviously require you to learn how to code, and be willing to spend the time doing so, which I appreciate, not everyone can do. But the opportunity is there.

I for one am glad we have what we do in Kodi, and am hopeful that it continues to be relevant and supported for a long time yet, in whatever manner the team decide to do so. Kodi is after all, the yardstick that any / all other media centre software should be measured against, IMHO. I for one would rather not see it abandon it's roots.

Smile

Dan / Gib.
(2021-03-09, 17:04)Atreyu Wrote:
(2021-03-08, 21:36)FXB78 Wrote:
Can you list some subscription services you use within Kodi please?
Quote:If you are prepared to throw out your accumulated movies, music, ota tuners, control over content without oversight, then these large corporations are waiting to please.   
That statement encompasses where I am. I DO have a ton of accumulated movies and tv shows (over 5000 movies and tens of thousands of tv episodes) on a NAS. I can say, however, sometimes we have a need to use curated and suggestive services. My contention is that, if possible, why not manage to somehow do both?> If not possible/probable just make that clear so that folks like myself start looking for solutions to the problem in new ways (rather than Kodi)...whether that means new interfaces or just being accustom to several.
(2021-03-09, 21:47)debennett2 Wrote:
(2021-03-09, 17:04)Atreyu Wrote:
(2021-03-08, 21:36)FXB78 Wrote: Kodi can do all of those things, maybe the GUI is not as user-friendly so perhaps that could be worked on in the future, allowing addon creators more scope to optimise the UI. I don't know, but I'd say Kodi has a few more years left in it yet.
Can you list some subscription services you use within Kodi please?

It varies, but I currently use Netflix, Disney+ and Discovery+
(2021-03-09, 21:51)debennett2 Wrote: start looking for solutions to the problem in new ways
Given the open source format; Let me make it clear "anything is possible given enough effort". You can search around for software that 'others' have produced for their own interests that may match yours, or just DIY, OTH: you could contribute to a community effort like Kodi and decide that many may benefit without a total sacrifice of body and mind, get involved (suggest start with a small add-on or skin you would enjoy). Start thinking outside of the box, add your creativity to what has become one of the best open source projects on the planet.
(2021-03-09, 21:51)debennett2 Wrote:
Quote:If you are prepared to throw out your accumulated movies, music, ota tuners, control over content without oversight, then these large corporations are waiting to please.   
That statement encompasses where I am. I DO have a ton of accumulated movies and tv shows (over 5000 movies and tens of thousands of tv episodes) on a NAS. I can say, however, sometimes we have a need to use curated and suggestive services. My contention is that, if possible, why not manage to somehow do both?> If not possible/probable just make that clear so that folks like myself start looking for solutions to the problem in new ways (rather than Kodi)...whether that means new interfaces or just being accustom to several.

This is the exact reason why I moved to Kodi (then xbmc).
I needed a single solution for my own media (also on a nas), channels my provider wants me to use yet another box for, and subscription services that pop up more and more nowadays. I have one device in each room that can do anything media, whether it's my own or coming from some external provider.

Interface-wise, i guess I like it plain and simple (estuary is just fine), but the really great thing about an open source project like this one is that anyone can make it anyway they would like. And share it with others so that we all can benefit. I think it's great and I hope it's here for a long time to go.

On a closing note: i don't think having this discussion is controversial in any way. Kodi is not for everyone, but I am lying here on my kodi-pillowed couch watching my favorite series through my personalized STB i started out to seek out many years ago.
I’ve been in the HTPC game even before the HTPC became a thing, I built a pc with a TV tuner a DVD drive and had mp3s on my hard drive.

It had no integrated GUI, I had to use haupauge’s software for TV, powerDVD for DVDS and Winamp for my music.

I wanted my pc out of the living room but wanted to at the very least listen to my MP3’s

Showshifter came along and then windows media centre, I looked at XBMC, on and off, and have settled with centralised storage and a few raspberry pis dotted around the flat using Kodi.

I Have smart playlists, subscription services like curiosity stream, Disney, Amazon and Netflix. I also have a PVR and of my blu ray and DVD collection and of course my mp3 collection that started this rabbit hole off!!!

Kodi has been forked into different projects over time, (plex MrMC) and continues to be relevant in the HTPC arena....

This has been over 20 years for me too. It’s been a hell of a ride.... I’m hoping that I’m still using Kodi in 20 years time... in what form, who knows, but that’s the beauty of open source!!!
Server: Ubuntu Server 22TB HDD running SAMBA
Kodi: 4 Raspberry Pi 3 running Libreelec -  on the main PC - running Linux Mint
My Setup thread |
Ha yeah, that was me too.  In an effort to get rid of the ever growing pile of boxes connected to the TV and amp I built an HTPC with a tuner card in it.  Tried to pipe my sat box into it too.  It worked, but you had to switch inputs on the card and you couldn't do that with just the remote so it wasn't very WAF.  It sat as an abandoned project for about 4 years because I couldn't see how Windows (Win XP at the time!) and the card software could fit together better.

Then one day, I stumbled back across xbmc.  I'd had it on my xboxes but only really as a replacement dashboard.  Anyway, it looked as if Linux was the way to go at the time so I swapped OS's, got it installed and have never looked back.

Big central server supplying live tv (dvb-t & dvb-s) to each room, all my locally held stuff and a subscription to Prime, along with BBC iPlayer and various free UK VOD channels. All controllable by remote or phone and in the case of the rPi's, in tiny little unobtrusive boxes.  Would I go back to what I had?  No way.  Kodi is now the only frontend anyone in our house sees, whatever media they want to consume, be that TV, radio, films, tv series, music, Youtube etc etc. 

Maybe it's my age but if there is nothing on live tv that I want to watch, I hardly ever go to the VOD channels that I have access to, it's nearly always something held locally.

If Kodi development stopped today, it would still meet the needs of my family for the forseeable future. It's taken time to get things just how I want them and it's been fun doing it.  Is it perfect?  No.  Does it fit my needs? Absolutely yes.

Of course everyone has different ideas about what they want and how it should work and what is right for us isn't necessarily what anyone else would want.  The beauty of FOSS is that anyone can contribute and help to shape the future. Discussions of where the project is now and possible directions/improvements/wishlists for the future are no bad thing.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
I've been a user since the very beginning running the original XBMP (before it became XBMC) on the original Xbox so I'm very much an old school man with everything rip to files and stored on network storage. I don't see that changing either as quite frankly I do not trust the content and streaming providers from having what I want when I want, as you hear all the time about stuff being removed from Amazon/Netflix etc. So long may Kodi continue for stick in the muds like me who detest the move to streaming so have zero interest in it, besides I barely have enough time as it is to watch or listen to my 90TB media library so who needs streaming Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What is Kodi's Projected path to the future?0