Time to move away from HTPC??
Hello,

I'm a newbie to this forum although I remember XBMC from the original XBOX as the best media player I had, followed by the WD TV Live, none of which can play 3D ISO's with Atmos, sadly.

I have been building HTPC's for a few years now and the family really enjoy watching 3D movies with Atmos soundtrack on our LG OLED from a NAS using PowerDVD or DVDFAb Player. Few months ago I noticed an issue, which I can only describe as macroblocking, which made watching 3D movies impossible. After a lot of troubleshooting, I tried another HDMI port on the TV and it was fine. Few weeks ago, the macroblocking on the TV started again, no matter what HDMI port I tried I could not get rid of it. I tested the issue using 2 different PC's and got the same result.  I thought the 3D on my TV was broken and had an engineer booked in to look at it.

As one last attempt to see if the TV was OK before the engineer arrived, I bought a dedicated bluray player and used one of my discs. Thankfully, my TV is working fine and turns out it must be the PC. I don't know how to fix it without maybe wiping the HTPC and seeing if this may resolve it as it might be a Windows 10 related issue, so I am looking for some help or advice.

I am using an Intel i3-8100 CPU and integrated Intel UHD 630 graphics card, 8GB RAM, SSD and Windows 10 64 bit  as my main HTPC.

Is it worth trying to install Kodi MVC build to see if I can get 3D movies with Atmos to work or buy a device like the Vero 4K+?

Sorry for the long post and background, I hope it was useful context.

Thanks,
Shailesh
You could try Raspberry Pi 3b - as that can play 3D out of the box - and if you use passthrough on HDMI, you 'should' get Atmos working.
Server: Ubuntu Server 22TB HDD running SAMBA
Kodi: 4 Raspberry Pi 3 running Libreelec -  on the main PC - running Linux Mint
My Setup thread |
(2021-04-10, 01:14)shailesh1 Wrote: Hello,

I'm a newbie to this forum although I remember XBMC from the original XBOX as the best media player I had, followed by the WD TV Live, none of which can play 3D ISO's with Atmos, sadly.

I have been building HTPC's for a few years now and the family really enjoy watching 3D movies with Atmos soundtrack on our LG OLED from a NAS using PowerDVD or DVDFAb Player. Few months ago I noticed an issue, which I can only describe as macroblocking, which made watching 3D movies impossible. After a lot of troubleshooting, I tried another HDMI port on the TV and it was fine. Few weeks ago, the macroblocking on the TV started again, no matter what HDMI port I tried I could not get rid of it. I tested the issue using 2 different PC's and got the same result.  I thought the 3D on my TV was broken and had an engineer booked in to look at it.

As one last attempt to see if the TV was OK before the engineer arrived, I bought a dedicated bluray player and used one of my discs. Thankfully, my TV is working fine and turns out it must be the PC. I don't know how to fix it without maybe wiping the HTPC and seeing if this may resolve it as it might be a Windows 10 related issue, so I am looking for some help or advice.

I am using an Intel i3-8100 CPU and integrated Intel UHD 630 graphics card, 8GB RAM, SSD and Windows 10 64 bit  as my main HTPC.

Is it worth trying to install Kodi MVC build to see if I can get 3D movies with Atmos to work or buy a device like the Vero 4K+?

Sorry for the long post and background, I hope it was useful context.

Thanks,
Shailesh
Why wouldn't you try it, nothing to loose, right? Maybe your better in place in the 3D MVC topic: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=266316
Kodi 19.1 Android/Google(TV) [ Shield TV Pro [64b] / Mi Box S [32b] / Mi Projector / Fire 4k TV stick / CC with Google TV ]
Kodi 19 [3D MVC build] Shuttle DH270 [Kaby Lake i3-7300/HD630 graphics - W10-1903]
Thanks, just tried it last night and Kodi was doing the same thing with the movies. I even rebuilt my PC to a brand new Windows 10 build and tried Kodi again, no luck, same thing. Makes me think something Windows or Intel have done with their drivers that has broken 3D for me.
Try LibreELEC if it's only Kodi you need on the HTPC. You can install it onto a 2nd USB stick for testruns if necessary.
(2021-04-11, 11:08)Klojum Wrote: Try LibreELEC if it's only Kodi you need on the HTPC. You can install it onto a 2nd USB stick for testruns if necessary.

Thank you for this, I will have a look at it. Was thinking of dual booting with Ubuntu as well, but not sure if 18.9 MVC will work on there.
(2021-04-10, 01:52)tjay260476 Wrote: You could try Raspberry Pi 3b - as that can play 3D out of the box - and if you use passthrough on HDMI, you 'should' get Atmos working.

I don't think the Pi 3B supports HD Audio (including Atmos) as passthrough - as the HDMI Audio path on the Pi 3B+ and below has a bandwidth limitation that stops HD Audio passthrough being feasible. (HD Audio - but not Atmos extensions - can be losslessly decoded for 4.0 192kHz and 7.1/5.1 96/48KHz audio tracks I think). The Pi 3B+ does support 3D MVC decode and frame packed output - both of which are required for high-quality 3D replay.

The Pi 4B supports HD Audio passthrough in some new builds, but there is no 3D support on the Pi 4B yet (and it's probably a bit lower down the priority list at the moment)
Vero 4K+ is a solid all-rounder option, with 3D MVC & HD audio support.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
I ordered the Vero 4K+ on Sunday, hoping it arrives soon so I can start watching my movies in 3D again  Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Time to move away from HTPC??0