Recommendation for best performance on current video structure
Hi guys,

I organize my videos like that:
Root-directory -> Quality -> YearRange -> Movies in a separate folder with artwork and nfo
(Goal: less than 500 movie-folders per directory-> assumption: smoother browsing/searching etc.)

For example:
|-Videos (root)
|----- HD
|---------2000-2005
|----------------------MyVacationMovie
|------------------------------------------MyVacationMovie-files (mkv, nfo, pngs)
|---------2005-2009
|----- SD
|---------1900-1999

My main questions:
1. When I move like (all the) 3000-4000 Movie-folders into the root folder (instead of subfolders Quality->YearRange->...), would this improve the performance of scanning?
2. Since the movies are stored on a "slow-med" NAS (TS-832X), could the smb-performance be bad when browsing/searching in this BIG root-folder (e.g. via Windows)?

My side question:
3. Is "scan recursively" really needed for the above structure? (I thought it worked also if it is "off", but I turned it "on" to be on the safe side... but I would assume if I switch it to off, the performance will be way better?)

Thanks
eusi

P.S. I am using Kodi (v18 and v19) via Windows (PC) and CoreElec (RPi/Odroid).
Does anyone have experience with that?
@eusi

You originally state you want to keep less than 500 movies per source (which is a wise decision), but then you proceed to state you want to move all 3000-4000 movies into the root folder.

Can you clarify what you are trying to do and why?
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2021-04-30, 01:21)Karellen Wrote: @eusi

You originally state you want to keep less than 500 movies per source (which is a wise decision), but then you proceed to state you want to move all 3000-4000 movies into the root folder.

Can you clarify what you are trying to do and why?
Thanks for you reply!

Oh, that was a misunderstanding. Currently I do not keep 500 movies per source, I do keep up to 500 per "folder"! I still have only "one source" for the entire root folder (see structure above).

Let me re-adjust my main question: What is faster for scanning and accessing (via media library) and file-browsing (e.g. via video-file folder):

1) one source/root-folder with two directories HD and SD, and both contain ~5 year-range folders (e.g. "1900-1999") that contain ~400 movie-folders each (see structure above - benefit: not one large folder)

or

2) one source with one large root-directory of 4000 movie-folders (benefit: no deep/recursive scan needed)

And: Are there better ways to get best performance for scanning/accessing and file-browsing?

Thank you!
Definitely No 1, with a minor adjustment.

It sounds like you have added Videos (root) as your Source, then the scanner needs to scan down quite a few levels to reach your video files. For TV Shows this is a problem and will confuse the scanner/scraper. For movies... I have never had reason to test, and don't recall any reported issues doing it that way.

If I were to set up your structure, my Sources would be 2000-2005, 2005-2009, 1900-1999. The folder that holds the movies.

Every time you enter a source in Files mode, Kodi needs to read every item in the Source, including movie folders, and all the files inside the folder, which can bring Kodi down to a crawl when there are a large number of items in a single source.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2021-04-30, 22:08)Karellen Wrote: If I were to set up your structure, my Sources would be 2000-2005, 2005-2009, 1900-1999. The folder that holds the movies.
Thank you Karellen, I will do this adjustments...

(2021-04-30, 22:08)Karellen Wrote: Every time you enter a source in Files mode, Kodi needs to read every item in the Source, including movie folders, and all the files inside the folder, which can bring Kodi down to a crawl when there are a large number of items in a single source.
...especially because this explanation makes totally sense.

So the result is:
Videos (root-dir on file-sys)
|------------Quality ("SD" or "HD")
|-----------------------------YearRange (e.g. "1900-1999") <-- Kodi sources
|----------------------------------------------------------Movie-folder (with movie.mkv, nfo, pngs inside)

Even I need to create a lot of sources now (instead of only one: root), if this boosts the performance I will be happy :-)
(2021-05-01, 16:56)eusi Wrote: Even I need to create a lot of sources now (instead of only one: root), if this boosts the performance I will be happy :-)
In my main setup for movies and tv shows I have a total of 14 sources and I don't experience any sluggishness at all. The only delay is sometimes waiting for the HDD to wake up, after that all works quite nicely.
My Signature

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Recommendation for best performance on current video structure0