Is there any way to get rid of the freaking OSD controls?
I know of no other device/software that auto-hides a menu after you've manually activated it. If you open TV settings menu, does that auto-hide?
(2021-05-08, 21:05)jjd-uk Wrote: I know of no other device/software that auto-hides a menu after you've manually activated it. If you open TV settings menu, does that auto-hide?

Quick Settings auto-hides after 1 minute. Extended Settings does not.

Can you try with VLC, Samsung Player, or whatever player there is. I have not come across a single software on any TV that does this, except Kodi. Maybe in 1990s.
Why put so much effort and energy and create a great program, but mess up the element that end user is to use the most to interact with that program?
If you're using Estuary, you can make a copy of the skin and add the following below the "visible" tags at the top of DialogSeekBar.xml:

Code:
   <visible>Player.ShowInfo | Window.IsActive(fullscreeninfo) | Window.IsActive(videoosd) | Window.IsActive(musicosd) | Player.Forwarding | Player.Rewinding</visible>

This prevents the OSD from being shown while paused and skipping forward/back, but it can still be called up on demand while paused. If you don't want it to show during REW/FF, delete the last two conditions. I've been doing this for years and wish it were part of the supported UI configuration.
(2021-05-11, 08:08)crawfish Wrote: If you're using Estuary, you can make a copy of the skin and add the following below the "visible" tags at the top of DialogSeekBar.xml:

Code:
   <visible>Player.ShowInfo | Window.IsActive(fullscreeninfo) | Window.IsActive(videoosd) | Window.IsActive(musicosd) | Player.Forwarding | Player.Rewinding</visible>

This prevents the OSD from being shown while paused and skipping forward/back, but it can still be called up on demand while paused. If you don't want it to show during REW/FF, delete the last two conditions. I've been doing this for years and wish it were part of the supported UI configuration.

That's for the seekbar not the OSD menu.
(2021-05-11, 08:45)Hitcher Wrote: That's for the seekbar not the OSD menu.

Oh OK. I only see the OSD menu when I call it up manually, and about the only reason I do that is to select a chapter. IIRC, I always dismiss it manually, and in any case, it's never posed a problem for me. The seekbar is the thing that always got my goat.
Exactly it only takes a single button press to dismiss the OSD and there would be no easy way to add a timeout without causing annoyance for someone's use case.
You are still downplaying this.
It is not someone's usage case. Here someone else also has come.

This is causing confusion. OSD should disappear when content is playing. There is no legitimate reason for it to remain there. Every program on God's green earth makes this proper. And you are talking about someone's usage case.
World has moved into simpler things. Many remotes do not have a dedicated PLAY - PAUSE button any more. It is a single button that reverses the action. Same logic with the OK button. You are not looking at the remote when operating TV.
Here is a Samsung Remote. There is a single button. Why have multiple buttons for an action that is to reverse what is going on? It is the same logic with OK button.

(2021-05-10, 21:46)CCrows Wrote: Why put so much effort and energy and create a great program, but mess up the element that end user is to use the most to interact with that program?
(2021-05-11, 09:25)CCrows Wrote: Every program on God's green earth makes this proper.

Continuing your rant is not going to help any of us.
(2021-05-11, 09:25)CCrows Wrote: It is not someone's usage case. Here someone else also has come.

This is causing confusion. OSD should disappear when content is playing. There is no legitimate reason for it to remain there. Every program on God's green earth makes this proper. And you are talking about someone's usage case.

I've given you a solution for your use case.

You are so fixated on how you do things, you aren't giving any consideration of how other users might use Kodi. Let's say I'm watching recorded TV and use OSD to Fast Forward through the ads, then hit Play button to return to normal speed but then I see I slightly over ran, so need to Rewind slightly, I want OSD to remian on until I'm satisfied I've reach the point I want. So that rules out auto-dimissing OSD as soon as Play is hit, as other OSD actions maybe wanted, so then you get into timeout terriority, so what is a reasonable time to wait for further user actions? that then becomes highly subjective where people will complain the timeout is either too short or not long enough, besides any timeout would be longer than doing a single press of Back would take you.
(2021-05-11, 10:51)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2021-05-11, 09:25)CCrows Wrote: It is not someone's usage case. Here someone else also has come.

I've given you a solution for your use case.

You are so fixated on how you do things, you aren't giving any consideration of how other users might use Kodi. Let's say I'm watching recorded TV and use OSD to Fast Forward through the ads, then hit Play button to return to normal speed but then I see I slightly over ran, so need to Rewind slightly, I want OSD to remian on until I'm satisfied I've reach the point I want. So that rules out auto-dimissing OSD as soon as Play is hit, as other OSD actions maybe wanted, so then you get into timeout terriority, so what is a reasonable time to wait for further user actions? that then becomes highly subjective where people will complain the timeout is either too short or not long enough, besides any timeout would be longer than doing a single press of Back would take you.

This is called over-engineering. TV does not require much input. People have moved on to Amazon, Netflix, Hulu. Look around dude. For those edge cases where people use cable and bother with ads, you can could make it an option.

Like I said, there is no other program that does this, and for a very good reason.

And all of your attitude is the same against users. This very issue has been brought up many times before, yet you tell me "your usage case". Remember, I came here after reading bazillions of Team Kodi members' condescending posts. I didn't just start. You think you are god's gift to people, you are not. May I suggest you take your Kodi...

Over & out.
(2021-05-11, 09:46)CCrows Wrote: Here is a Samsung Remote. There is a single button. Why have multiple buttons for an action that is to reverse what is going on? It is the same logic with OK button.

Wow, that remote even has a dedicated Play/Pause button! So you're saying you can't move your thumb over half an inch to press Play/Pause, and instead you want to create timeout issues for every other Kodi user 'On God's Green Earth' simply to suit yourself. You've been given a use case where your approach would fail for other users (and there are many more examples, such as cycling through subtitles), but instead you continue with the bad attitude you came here with without acknowledging that maybe you haven't thought of all eventualities like the people who actually write the software have.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is there any way to get rid of the freaking OSD controls?0