Is there any way to get rid of the freaking OSD controls?
(2021-05-11, 09:25)CCrows Wrote: It is not someone's usage case. Here someone else also has come.

This is causing confusion. OSD should disappear when content is playing. There is no legitimate reason for it to remain there. Every program on God's green earth makes this proper. And you are talking about someone's usage case.

so......you are deliberately using OSD for pausing a video while having a dedicated button and that is somehow KODIs faultHuhHuhHuh? OSD is not there as a main way to control a player, it is there to help with some other things so that you don't have to exit video and go into settings to change some basic options. Which I mapped on some other buttons so no need for OSD. Problem is not in KODI but in "nice", "beautiful", "simple" and mainly useless 3 button remotes that do nothing but complicate things even more.
This is priceless!

While @CCrows tone and attitude is not appropriate on a public forum, he has a valid point.  Maybe, if he rephrased it with a pleasing request, it may have looked at it as an objective usage case.

In my fire TV remote, I too sometimes press the center dial section (it is called SELECT), which brings up the OSD and can pause/play etc.  When I do that, the OSD stays ON forever. I know the latest Fire TV remotes have a dedicated play/pause button, but it's easier to press the center dial section (as it's a wide area) without searching for the play/pause button. You pick the remote and the center dial section is easy to click without even looking at the remote. Do you get my point?

Maybe, if the OSD times out just like when you hit the play/pause, that will be great if at all possible.  I see some suggestions by editing the keymaps but OSD provides an useful feature as it shows lot more info.

PS: I love Kodi and can't thank enough for the support and dedication of the dev team in providing an awesome player. With all the Chrome extensions, I can easily control the player from my PC, which is truly a blessing. 

With adb, I can easily migrate the settings between the various devices and truly a blessing!  I have used Plex/VLC, etc. but Kodi is simply the best, IMHO!
It's been a while since I last used my Firestick, but I think pressing the back button once will clear the OSD in such cases.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2021-05-15, 20:31)DarrenHill Wrote: It's been a while since I last used my Firestick, but I think pressing the back button once will clear the OSD in such cases.
Yes, that's what I do to get rid of OSD but wondering why would the OSD stay on the screen forever when you click the OK/SELECT button? Is there a use case for it or is that a bug?

It's not a big deal but just wondering why it stays ON forever.
(2021-05-15, 21:51)RainGater Wrote:
(2021-05-15, 20:31)DarrenHill Wrote: It's been a while since I last used my Firestick, but I think pressing the back button once will clear the OSD in such cases.
Yes, that's what I do to get rid of OSD but wondering why would the OSD stay on the screen forever when you click the OK/SELECT button? Is there a use case for it or is that a bug?

It's not a big deal but just wondering why it stays ON forever.
It's been covered in the thread already, see post #28 amongst others.

It's a settings dialog, same as adjusting the settings on your TV. If it suddenly disappeared after 5 seconds whilst you're trying to change something people would be on here complaining about that, so you can't win either way.

The answer is to use a dedicated button or just back out of it, it's only a single button press after all.
(2021-05-15, 22:23)FXB78 Wrote: It's a settings dialog, same as adjusting the settings on your TV. If it suddenly disappeared after 5 seconds whilst your trying to change something people would be on here complaining about that, so you can't win either way.

The settings menu on my LG and Samsung TV stays ON for couple of minutes max if there is no user input. In Kodi's case, it's stays forever and that's why I was curious to find out the use case. I know there is NO hard limit which will satisfy all the users but staying ON for more than 2 or even 5 minutes without any user input doesn't make any sense to me. But hey, that's me.

Maybe, there is a setting in guisettings.xml which will force the OSD to timeout if idle for a while?  If it's not possible, that's fine as I don't want to drag this any further.
it does not stay forever. Goes away once the video ends.
On the other hand, if pause is, and it looks like it is, THE reason for this, how would making it go away in 5min or 2min or just 30s be better than hitting the back button. Wouldn't you be way more annoyed by watching OSD even for just 30s every time then you are by hitting a button that takes 1 second?
Pause/resume is two clicks on the same button with zero OSD issues. Pause/resume through OSD is three clicks on the same button. So, why? And don't tell me that it is the first button you see. If you approach you car from the back, my guess is that you still do not enter it through the trunk.
(2021-05-16, 00:01)kinggo Wrote: On the other hand, if pause is, and it looks like it is, THE reason for this
I have dedicated transport controls on my remote so never use those buttons. For me, getting to the chapters list is THE reason for OSD, and I modify Estuary so that button comes up selected by default. I wish there were a dedicated command for it, that would take me directly to the chapter list, with the currently playing one selected, because there's a down-arrow to press when I do call up the chapters to get to the actual list. I haven't fixed that issue in the skin, but to make bookmarks selected by default, I change the top of VideoOSD.xml as below (Kodi 19):

Code:
    <defaultcontrol always="true">70044<!-- 70044 is bookmarks; 602 is orig --></defaultcontrol>
(2021-05-16, 00:01)kinggo Wrote: it does not stay forever. Goes away once the video ends.
Wow, what a profound statement. Of course, it doesn't if you have all the videos in a loop and I have 300 movies or so in a folder. lol.

In any case, I am asking the dev team whether there is any solution and not some wise remarks from people like you.  I am wondering whether there is a setting that can be turned on in guisettings to hide after it's been idle for a while. If not, I am perfectly fine with clicking the back button as that's what I am doing now. No problemo!
(2021-05-16, 00:13)RainGater Wrote: Wow, what a profound statement.
and not some wise remarks from people like you.
Don't take everything literally on a forum. Sometimes it's people's different "humor" which backfires, and sometimes it's people that are not on the same brain level. If there is action to be taken, it'll be the moderators' job. Deactivating your short fuse will help.

(2021-05-16, 00:13)RainGater Wrote: I am wondering whether there is a setting that can be turned on in guisettings to hide after it's been idle for a while.
In theory that could be possible, but AFAIK there is no such thing available right now. The guisettings.xml is controlled and rewritten by the Kodi GUI, so adding another option would be more likely placed in the advancedsettings.xml file.
(2021-05-16, 01:13)Klojum Wrote: In theory that could be possible, but AFAIK there is no such thing available right now.

Thank you for the response and I will use the back button to hide it.  In fact, I will use the keymap to pause/play when I hit the SELECT button.  And, OSD comes up when I hit the MENU button on the fire TV remote and all my needs are covered. 

So, I am good.

Btw, I can't thank enough for the dev team's work on providing us with the best F-R-E-E entertainment system, IMHO!
Quick and easy way to have the OSD hide after 5 seconds.

Download Custom_1111_CloseOSD.xml and drop it in Kodi/addons/skin.estuary/xml and restart Kodi.
First of all I'm someone who always considers all users requests very seriously. I have added/changed many things in Estuary due to user requests, however I need to be convinced of the worth before spending my own free time on the effort of coding and then perhaps having to convince others to accept the code. As Team members we need to consider all the ways people might use something and not break valid use cases if at all possible,

When looking at any request these questions go through my mind:

1. Is it a big nuisense to users?
2. Is there merit in the request?
3. Will making the addition/changes potentially affect other use cases?

So on this:

1. Not convinced as all remotes have a Back button.
2. Some, as muscle memory is a thing. Personally I have a remote that has a Menu button which is used to activate the OSD, so I can simply use the Menu button to toggle OSD on/off to build that muscle memory. Howeer I do see that on the more limited Andoid/Apple style remotes where you need to use OK to activate OSD and Back to dismiss, and you can't build up that muscle memory to the same extent if you don't have the possibility of a simple toggle of the same button.
3. Yes any addition could potentially affect other users without serious thought over any implementation.

(2021-05-15, 22:37)RainGater Wrote: The settings menu on my LG and Samsung TV stays ON for couple of minutes max if there is no user input. In Kodi's case, it's stays forever and that's why I was curious to find out the use case. I know there is NO hard limit which will satisfy all the users but staying ON for more than 2 or even 5 minutes without any user input doesn't make any sense to me. But hey, that's me.

So far this is closest I see as a way to do it without adding more settings (as some on the Team don't like just adding settings for everything as they would soon become unweidly), it would need to be a timeout in the order of minutes to not risk impacting other users who use the OSD in other ways. However what I keep coming back in my mind, is are people seriously that lazy they can't do a simple Back button press to immediately dismiss the OSD, and would instead wait 2 minutes or more while the video is playling and the OSD obscuring it until it auto-quits.
(2021-05-16, 12:16)Hitcher Wrote: Quick and easy way to have the OSD hide after 5 seconds.

Download Custom_1111_CloseOSD.xml and drop it in Kodi/addons/skin.estuary/xml and restart Kodi.

Thanks Hitcher.

If anyone decides to use this then the timeout can be adjusted in the xml file. Open the file in a decent text editor e.g. Noteplus++ and on Line 4 there is
xml:
System.IdleTime(5)
Adjust the number in brackets to however many seconds you want for example 2 minutes (120s) would be:

xml:
System.IdleTime(120)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is there any way to get rid of the freaking OSD controls?0