Solved KODI high CPU load on NVIDIA TV SHIELD TV PRO
Since upgrading to Kodi v19 Matrix, video stutters when playing back from Synology NAS, where previously this ran very smoothly.
I don't know how to retrieve the log files on my NVIDIA shield tv pro, but when turning on the on-screen debug, it is at 60% when idle (no playback), when I select a file from the nas to play back, this goes up to 118% of CPU usage ?
No wonder the video stutters, but I have no clue what might be causing this. Anyone else have seen the same issue ? Suggestions welcome !!!
(2021-05-11, 09:40)c.ieven Wrote: Suggestions welcome !!!

A debug log (wiki) via pastebin is always a good start.
(2021-05-11, 09:53)Klojum Wrote:

I managed to get the debug log, but it is huge, 530 MB... from what I can tell, by selecting an episode of a show to playback, kodi tries to open all files in that directory, not just the one selected...
Stutters have been reported by others, 60-118% CPU usage not so much afaik.
Opening multiple videos at the same time would be a very first for the Kodi application though.

So how are you connecting to your Syno NAS ?
(2021-05-11, 11:02)c.ieven Wrote:
(2021-05-11, 09:53)Klojum Wrote:

I managed to get the debug log, but it is huge, 530 MB... from what I can tell, by selecting an episode of a show to playback, kodi tries to open all files in that directory, not just the one selected...

I managed to downsize the file and saved it to https://paste.kodi.tv, but I'm not sure how to link that file to this thread...
(2021-05-11, 11:26)c.ieven Wrote:
(2021-05-11, 11:02)c.ieven Wrote:
(2021-05-11, 09:53)Klojum Wrote: A debug log (wiki) via pastebin is always a good start.

I managed to downsize the file and saved it to https://paste.kodi.tv, but I'm not sure how to link that file to this thread...

https://paste.kodi.tv/xikolevoqe.kodi
(2021-05-11, 11:31)c.ieven Wrote:
(2021-05-11, 11:26)c.ieven Wrote:
(2021-05-11, 11:02)c.ieven Wrote: I managed to get the debug log, but it is huge, 530 MB... from what I can tell, by selecting an episode of a show to playback, kodi tries to open all files in that directory, not just the one selected...

https://paste.kodi.tv/xikolevoqe.kodi

I was trying to playback a Scrubs episode, S04E04... I just got the turning (loading sign) logo but nothing happens....
(2021-05-11, 11:07)Klojum Wrote: Stutters have been reported by others, 60-118% CPU usage not so much afaik.
Opening multiple videos at the same time would be a very first for the Kodi application though.

via NFS
(2021-05-11, 11:35)c.ieven Wrote:
(2021-05-11, 11:07)Klojum Wrote: Stutters have been reported by others, 60-118% CPU usage not so much afaik.

via NFS

Over 10GB network
A few things:

- 10GB, wow... I'm jealous already. The Shield only support 1GB afaik, but miracles do happen.
- Please restart Kodi when enabling debugging. The log now covers two days.
- Are the .avi files the only videos that are causing problems? Perhaps because of software decoding instead of GPU decoding.
- Access to multiple files may happen when obtaining/creating thumbnails for new videos.
- You should be able to edit your posts by now, so the telegramme style posting is no longer necessary.
(2021-05-11, 09:40)c.ieven Wrote: Since upgrading to Kodi v19 Matrix, video stutters when playing back from Synology NAS, where previously this ran very smoothly.
I don't know how to retrieve the log files on my NVIDIA shield tv pro, but when turning on the on-screen debug, it is at 60% when idle (no playback), when I select a file from the nas to play back, this goes up to 118% of CPU usage ?
No wonder the video stutters, but I have no clue what might be causing this. Anyone else have seen the same issue ? Suggestions welcome !!!
same kind of as 19.1 as well as 19 I observed, playing video files from NAS (via SMB), but FireTV play UHD 4K with DD5.1 very fluently.(appstore.speedtest 90Mbps). Files are 3~4 Gb 4K or FHD.

looking forward to your findings.

PS: @moderators
- Anyway to subscribe to a thread and get notifications?
- How to ignore quick edit /Edit and fix only to quick? => online editing, pls. make it easier for communication. thanks!
Kodi 20.4(Nexus) / FireTV 4K
(2021-05-11, 11:46)Klojum Wrote: A few things:

- 10GB, wow... I'm jealous already. The Shield only support 1GB afaik, but miracles do happen.
- Please restart Kodi when enabling debugging. The log now covers two days.
- Are the .avi files the only videos that are causing problems? Perhaps because of software decoding instead of GPU decoding.
- Access to multiple files may happen when obtaining/creating thumbnails for new videos.
- You should be able to edit your posts by now, so the telegramme style posting is no longer necessary.
sorry, indeed 1 GB on shield, backbone is 10GB and nas connected via ethernet binding (4*1GB). The file I tried to play is a .mkv, not an .avi. not sure what you mean by telegramme style...
I meant posting several messages in sequence, as if you are doing a one-man show. Never mind...

An MKV file is merely a container file, it can contain any video format, so AVI content as well. Can you give the output of a MediaInfo listing on such a MKV-problem file?
(2021-05-11, 12:20)Klojum Wrote: I meant posting several messages in sequence, as if you are doing a one-man show. Never mind...

An MKV file is merely a container file, it can contain any video format, so AVI content as well. Can you give the output of a MediaInfo listing on such a MKV-problem file?

https://paste.kodi.tv/zimimolifi
(2021-05-11, 11:48)stein Wrote: - Anyway to subscribe to a thread and get notifications?
- How to ignore quick edit /Edit and fix only to quick? => online editing, pls. make it easier for communication. thanks!

Down at the very bottom of the page (just above the footer, on the left hand side) you should have options for the thread, including subscribing to it.

Not sure what you mean by the other bit, but quick edit is there for making small tweaks, or you have the option for full edit with the whole editor sub-GUI.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
KODI high CPU load on NVIDIA TV SHIELD TV PRO0