Has any Kodi user use a TV back light?
I am trying to either find out how to create install a TV backlight on an Android TV x86 machine. I ordered a rainbow LED strip light for my TV. But I want to ensure there is someone who has installed it and how they feel about it.
I searched on Google and got some images about TV backlights and they look great. I do not know if the images are real.
Thread moved to Hardware section.
(2021-07-02, 08:27)Uase Wrote: I am trying to either find out how to create install a TV backlight on an Android TV x86 machine. I ordered a rainbow LED strip light for my TV. But I want to ensure there is someone who has installed it and how they feel about it.
I searched on Google and got some images about TV backlights and they look great. I do not know if the images are real.
What are you trying to accomplish??  What are you planning to use the Android TV box and Kodi for, to control the LED lighting?
Usually you just stick the lights to the back of the TV and control them with a remote control or mobile phone app. Not sure why you'd need to install anything on your Android TV Box, just use the mobile app.

I use Govee lights with the Govee mobile app, looks good and works fine.
I have an Adalight box which is controlled by Prismatik.  My TV has been backlit for a good 15 years now (originally just constantly changing colours, but now my lights can do _so_ much more!) and I wouldn't ever go back.  I find it difficult to watch it now without the backlight.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
That strip looks like you'll be stuck either on one single color or a preset set of rotating colors.  With luck, the app that controls it might do something like utilize the mic on your phone/tablet to adjust color based on sound level.

If you want to mimic Philips Ambilight TVs, you have a couple of options ranging from relatively cheap to expensive:

1)  Gledopto sync box:  https://www.amazon.com/Gledopto-Backgrou...90&sr=8-13.  I have it on two TVs, it works well and kept the wife from complaining too much about cost.  If you're using a 4K TV throw out the splitter this comes with and order the recommended EZCOO model that works for another $30 or so.  If it's only a 1080p TV the included splitter works fine.  It's not app controlled, it's pretty much set and forget if you use smart switches to turn on appliances.

2)  Philips Hue Sync Box.  Same thing as above, but controlled by the Hue (or compatible) apps, and costs more.  I believe it does have the benefit of working with other Hue lights to immerse your entire room in the TV color.

3)  Boblight:  https://www.tweaking4all.com/home-theatr...11-ws2812/.  This guide is outdated and I'm sure there's a more up-to-date version.  I only mention it for completeness, it got beyond what I wanted to get involved with at the time.

4)  Hue LED Strip / Gledopto LED Strip and controller:  https://www.amazon.com/GIDERWEL-Controll...90&sr=8-27 or the Hue equivalent.  Both of these can be adhered to the back of your TV around the edge.  At one point there was a set of Kodi add-ons that controlled the light and color.  I think it's fallen off the radar, but it worked well until HEVC came along, and required MediaCodec to be enabled.  So basically it was no light during 4K playback but smooth playback on the Shield, or jumpy 4K playback with ambilight. 

#4 requires a Hue/SmartThigs Hub, #3 and #4 will only work with your Kodi box.  #1 and #2 can be set up to work with any input depending on how you set up the HDMI switching.  I only mention Gledopto as a cheaper alternative to Hue.  I have a 50/50 mix of real Philips Hue and Gledopto, and the only differences I can see are a slight variation in color when the two different manufacturers are right next to each other lit up; and the Gledopto bulbs and strips seem to react a little more serial like vs parallel when turning on multiples.
Govee Immersion more easy
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Has any Kodi user use a TV back light?0