Solved Kodi changing refresh rate on exit
I want my GUI at 60Hz. I start from my desktop at 60Hz. Kodi starts at 60Hz. When I play something it switches refresh rate correctly. I stop the video. I exit Kodi. As soon as the process is terminated (Kodi.exe, I mean), the screen switches to 50Hz.

Anything comes to mind as to why this could be happening? If I don't use the refresh rate functionality, it doesn't happen.

I have tried launching in portable mode, same thing. This happens both with Kodi 19 and Kodi 17.6 DSPlayer (which switches through madVR). So I'd be inclined to say it's not strictly Kodi dependent. But if I play back a video with MPC-HC, it switches refresh rate correctly but when I exit the player nothing happens, it goes back to 60Hz and stays that way.

Still, it happens with Kodi and this is the Windows forum, so if any Windows user has any idea... I'd be glad to read it.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
I've always set my NCP desktop at 60Hz and all official builds of Kodi match refresh rates without fail and when video is finished, Kodi returns to 60Hz as it should.  When Kodi exits, the desktop remains at 60Hz as it should.  Same with madVR players where refresh rates are controlled by madVR whether launched solo or as Kodi external player(s).  No problems. 

I'm also using the latest Nvidia driver and all the drivers before that which are common to both our GPU's.  Guessing, I'd conclude your Nvidia RTX 3070 and/or other special components you've installed to enhance playback using Kodi and other players along with their special components are the root source of your unique problem.  Naturally, if you disable refresh rate matching you won't experience the problem because your display doesn't switch from whatever you set native in the first place.  Have you had other problems with that Nvidia RTX 3070?
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
Maybe it depends on some Kodi settings?

For me it works as intended:
I'm using Kodi 19.1 in fullscreen mode.
Settings->Player->Videos: Adjust display refresh rate: Always
Settings->System->Display: Use full screen window checked

Let's assume I have a refresh rate of 60Hz BEFORE starting Kodi.
Kodi starts and the GUI is in 60Hz.
Then I start a video with a framerate different than 60 Hz, Kodi switches to the according refresh rate (in my case defined by advancedsetttings.xml).
When I stop the video, Kodi switches back to the formerly used refresh rate, in this case 60Hz.

When closing Kodi, this refresh rates stays as well, it doesn´t change.

I've checked this behavior with differnt 'BEFORE-rates'.

I am personally using a desktop rate of 50 Hz (PAL country).
So Kodi uses 50Hz in the GUI like my windows desktop.

Kodi always uses the refresh rate before opening Kodi as the 'default' one.

It always worked in this way, now many years for me.

I am using an AMD GPU and only SDR displays (monitor/projector).

Hope this helps Wink
Try Settings->Player->Videos: Adjust display refresh rate: On Start/Stop.
I prefer my GUI to be 60 cycles as well, back in my Amiga days the default res was ~30 cycles in highres... and to get around that badly flicker display you either had to have a 'flicker fixer' scan doubler otherwise you eyes would burn-out on the 640x400 display Smile I am sensitive to 50 cycle 'pal' displays. Noting your message, I downloaded from Samples (wiki) FPS_test_1080p50_L4.2.mkv and played out various videos from 29.970, 25, 24, 30, 50, 23.976, 59.940, 60 and all played what I observe as flawless (using the OSD as the fps monitor) and all returned to proper GUI interface at 60 cycles. I did note that with sync to display 'on' that some content changes to the fps as indicated by mediaInfo. Wondering if you temporarily switch to windowing mode, and back does the display resume to pal? If it's still at a 50 cycles pal display, would running MPC-HC and exiting return to 60 or 50 fps?

Considering you've had this with a few iterations and not strictly Kodi dependent, the chief suspect would be the gfx engine (which one is it?, perhaps some beta driver for the fix?). The work-round would of course be an external player that responds according to your expectations.
Solved it! In Kodi System/Display settings, under resolution, there were two 3840x2160p resolutions. One for 50Hz and one for 60Hz. For some reason, the 50 Hz one got chosen. And that was messing things up.

(2021-07-06, 17:56)PatK Wrote: I prefer my GUI to be 60 cycles as well, back in my Amiga days
You made my day. Kodi dev remembering the Amiga days. Great!
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
Thread marked solved.
(2021-07-07, 01:40)PatK Wrote: Thread marked solved.
Just one question, if I may. I spent a long time trying to check, before finding out the problem, guisettings.xml, thinking that a value could have been saved there. Was I off mark or I simply missed it?

Is it <setting id="videoscreen.resolution">15</setting> ?

But where are the resolutions enumerated? Because I tried to change the number and nothing changed, I noticed a list of resolutions below (in guisettings.xml) but they were not numerated.
(2021-07-07, 11:40)ashlar Wrote: guisettings.xml, thinking that a value could have been saved there
Correct all the Kodi user accessible settings are in that file and written out as we change them manually (and can be manipulated, copied, and value changed), you can also override these settings in the advancedsettings.xml (wiki)

<setting id="videoscreen.resolution">52</setting> Matrix 1920x1080
<setting id="videoscreen.resolution">83</setting> Leia 1920 x 1080
<setting id="videoscreen.resolution">15</setting> Matrix Windowed
<setting id="videoscreen.resolution">44</setting> Matrix 1366x768p

the representation of the number, might want a peek at this, to get deeper into this would be looking into the Skinner manuals. The actual resolutions are pulled from the edid handshaking that the o/s passes, you can force refreshrates for given fps formats via advancedsettings.xml to skip those which don't work.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi changing refresh rate on exit0