Artist Name listing customization
I currently have things set up so I have track number, title and then artist listed. However, I would prefer to set things up so that the artist name is ONLY displayed if it differs from the Album Artist. That way, ONLY tracks which have collaborations are listed differently (or on a various Artists CD, everyone will be listed).

Is this something that can be achieved through xml customization?
Nobody?
@1a2b3c4d

Could you post a screenshot showing where and what you want changed?

Button 14 or 18 to upload images
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2021-08-04, 03:49)1a2b3c4d Wrote: Is this something that can be achieved through xml customization?

Do you mean something like this ?

Tracks 7,8,9 & 10 are credited to "The Three Tenors" which is the albumartist, so they don't appear in the list. Songs by each individual show the individual artist name for that track. If you choose an album where all the tracks are by the same albumartist, it would just show track number and track title. If you viewed a compilation (various artists) album, it would show track number, artist name and track title, as below.

Finally, a screenshot showing an album by a single artist where albumartist == artist. It just shows the track numbers and titles.

Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2021-09-07, 09:35)black_eagle Wrote:
(2021-08-04, 03:49)1a2b3c4d Wrote: Is this something that can be achieved through xml customization?

Do you mean something like this ?

Tracks 7,8,9 & 10 are credited to "The Three Tenors" which is the albumartist, so they don't appear in the list. Songs by each individual show the individual artist name for that track. If you choose an album where all the tracks are by the same albumartist, it would just show track number and track title. If you viewed a compilation (various artists) album, it would show track number, artist name and track title, as below.

Finally, a screenshot showing an album by a single artist where albumartist == artist. It just shows the track numbers and titles.

That is precisely what I am looking for.
(2021-09-08, 02:04)1a2b3c4d Wrote: That is precisely what I am looking for.

Cool.  I achieved this by modifying the Variables.xml file in the stock Estuary skin.  The location of this file will depend on your OS, and as Estuary is shipped with Kodi it will be installed in the addon directory inside the directory pointed to by special://xbmc (see special protocol (wiki) for OS translations).

The variable to modify is ListLabelVar and the current values can be seen at https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...ml#L71-L76

What I did was to add the following two value conditions to that variable, before the value which doesn't have a condition attached.

xml:
<value condition="!String.IsEqual(ListItem.Artist,ListItem.AlbumArtist) + String.IsEqual(ListItem.DBType,song)">$INFO[ListItem.TrackNumber,,. ]$INFO[ListItem.Artist,, - ]$INFO[ListItem.Title]</value>
<value condition="String.IsEqual(ListItem.Artist,ListItem.AlbumArtist) + String.IsEqual(ListItem.DBType,song)">$INFO[ListItem.TrackNumber,,. ]$INFO[ListItem.Title]</value>

What this does is ignore the track naming template in Kodi's settings and formats the value as follows.

If the artist AND the albumartist are different, AND the item is a song then :-
     Write the track number if any, followed by . .  If there is no track number then the . is ignored.  Write the artist name followed by  - and finally the song title.
if the artist AND the albumartist are the same AND the item is a song then :-
     Write any track number as above, followed by just the song title.

The full variable should end up looking like this.

xml:
<variable name="ListLabelVar">
        <value condition="String.IsEqual(ListItem.DbType,episode) + Window.IsActive(videoplaylist)">$INFO[ListItem.TVShowtitle,,: ]$INFO[ListItem.Season,,x]$INFO[ListItem.Episode,,. ]$INFO[ListItem.Title]</value>
        <value condition="String.IsEqual(ListItem.DbType,musicvideo) + Window.IsActive(videoplaylist)">$INFO[ListItem.Artist,, - ]$INFO[ListItem.Title]</value>
        <value condition="[!String.IsEmpty(ListItem.Season) | !String.IsEmpty(ListItem.Episode) | !String.IsEmpty(ListItem.EpisodeName)] + Window.IsActive(videoplaylist)">$INFO[ListItem.Title,,: ]$VAR[SeasonEpisodeLabel]$INFO[ListItem.EpisodeName]</value>
        <value condition="!String.IsEqual(ListItem.Artist,ListItem.AlbumArtist) + String.IsEqual(ListItem.DBType,song)">$INFO[ListItem.TrackNumber,,. ]$INFO[ListItem.Artist,, - ]$INFO[ListItem.Title]</value>
        <value condition="String.IsEqual(ListItem.Artist,ListItem.AlbumArtist) + String.IsEqual(ListItem.DBType,song)">$INFO[ListItem.TrackNumber,,. ]$INFO[ListItem.Title]</value>
        <value>$INFO[ListItem.Label]</value>
    </variable>

Make sure that Kodi is not running when you edit the file as it is only read when Kodi starts or you reload the skin.

@jjd-uk Anything there I have missed or might cause an issue ?
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Thank you for the very detailed response. Tested it and it works for me as well. I only made one change - the order of the displayed information. I have it showing TrackNumber. ListItem.Title - ListItem.Artist

xml:
<value condition="!String.IsEqual(ListItem.Artist,ListItem.AlbumArtist) + String.IsEqual(ListItem.DBType,song)">$INFO[ListItem.TrackNumber,,. ]$INFO[ListItem.Title,, - ]$INFO[ListItem.Artist]</value>

The displayed information is much cleaner now. I have never seen the need to list the artist against every song on a single artist's CD but GUI (skin) track display solutions that I have seen do not have the ability to do this without affecting collaborations or VA CDs.

It would be fantastic if this could be an option in the GUI, but I guess that is a feature request for another party. Thanks again for the efforts. They are appreciated.
I cannot see a spot for feature requests. I could be blind and I did search but to no avail. Is there a dedicated spot for feature requests?
Is there nowhere to make an *official* feature request?
(2021-10-26, 10:02)1a2b3c4d Wrote: Is there nowhere to make an *official* feature request?

https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, please click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Artist Name listing customization0