Solved NFS sources not opening/being selected in Kodi after updating NAS with DSM7
I just upgraded my Synology NAS  to DSM7. Went fine.
All my movies are in Collections on my NAS like HDMovies1, HDMovies2 etc.
SMB and NFS services are enabled on the NAS as they were in DSM 6
However now I find that I cannot add an NFS source from my collecrions in Kodi ( I use Matrix). The sources are visible in NFS but do not open to be added.
SMB is working fine.
Apparently some setting change is required in NFS settings on the NAS or in Kodi
appreciate any help
Which OS(es) do you use on your client(s) running Kodi?
(2021-08-10, 07:05)Klojum Wrote: Which OS(es) do you use on your client(s) running Kodi?

Windows 10
I only had a brief attempt this morning with Kodi on an Android phone, quickly slammed a NFS 4 share together on the NAS. Kodi saw the shared folder (which is already a plus for me), but could not enter the folder...

I'll have to find some more time for additional testing. Perhaps others can chime in with their experiences.
From the DSM7 changelog, the only two items directly linked to sources that I can see are:

Quote:3. DSM 7.0 by default disables NTLMv1 and enables NTMLv2 only, so SMB clients (e.g., Windows XP devices, media players, network printers, smart TVs, and IP cameras) won’t be able to access your Synology NAS. To restore the connection after the update, go to Control Panel > File Services > SMB > Advanced Settings > Others and enable NTLMv1 authentication.

4. NFSv4.1 and related advanced functions (multipathing) are no longer supported on Synology NAS models with the following package architectures: Alpine, Alpine4k, armada38x, Avoton, Braswell, Bromolow, Cedarview, Grantley, Monaco. If you had previously enabled NFSv4 and NFSv4.1, the maximum NFS protocol is set to NFSv4 by default after the update. For more information about the package architecture of your model, please refer to this article.

The referred article is here detailing how to determine which CPU your NAS has.

I must admit I've also got the option of the DSM7 update on my NAS, but have yet to actually do it. So I'll hold off a while I think if this is going to be a problem.

Edited to add:

If I remember properly, seeing shares but not being able to enter them is down to the squash mapping. The set-up below works for me (on DSM6 for now):

|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2021-08-10, 13:39)Klojum Wrote: I only had a brief attempt this morning with Kodi on an Android phone, quickly slammed a NFS 4 share together on the NAS. Kodi saw the shared folder (which is already a plus for me), but could not enter the folder...

I'll have to find some more time for additional testing. Perhaps others can chime in with their experiences.

same here. Kodi saw the shared folders but could not open them.
(2021-08-10, 16:29)DarrenHill Wrote: From the DSM7 changelog, the only two items directly linked to sources that I can see are:
Quote:3. DSM 7.0 by default disables NTLMv1 and enables NTMLv2 only, so SMB clients (e.g., Windows XP devices, media players, network printers, smart TVs, and IP cameras) won’t be able to access your Synology NAS. To restore the connection after the update, go to Control Panel > File Services > SMB > Advanced Settings > Others and enable NTLMv1 authentication.

4. NFSv4.1 and related advanced functions (multipathing) are no longer supported on Synology NAS models with the following package architectures: Alpine, Alpine4k, armada38x, Avoton, Braswell, Bromolow, Cedarview, Grantley, Monaco. If you had previously enabled NFSv4 and NFSv4.1, the maximum NFS protocol is set to NFSv4 by default after the update. For more information about the package architecture of your model, please refer to this article.

The referred article is here detailing how to determine which CPU your NAS has.

I must admit I've also got the option of the DSM7 update on my NAS, but have yet to actually do it. So I'll hold off a while I think if this is going to be a problem.

Edited to add:

If I remember properly, seeing shares but not being able to enter them is down to the squash mapping. The set-up below works for me (on DSM6 for now):

Thanks for your help.
My Squash  mapping is set up exactly same way but NFS shares are being seen but I am not able to enter them .
SMB shares which I tried on one Matrix installation are working fine.
Cannot understand what to do? Should not have upgraded to DSM7 but it is done so have to wait till problem sorted out.
I'm connecting to DSM 7 through NFS OK, with Android on a Fire TV, on Kodi 19.1.

Not needed to tinker with settings on either the Synology or Kodi (thankfully!) after updating from DSM 6.

My NFS settings are similar but also have the "higher ports" setting ticked.
I specifically called out the IP of my Fire TV in the hostname, but I remember the settings also worked with the * wildcard.

For the full picture:

Control Panel / File Services / NFS 
  • Enabled
  • Max. NFSv3
  • Advanced, Apply default Unix permissions ticked.

Control Panel / Shared Folders / Select Folder / Edit
  • General Tab - Nothing ticked
  • Unencrypted
  • No Advanced options
  • Permissions set to read/write for the admin and Kodi user.
  • No advanced permissions
(2021-08-11, 16:38)Raboon Wrote: I'm connecting to DSM 7 through NFS OK, with Android on a Fire TV, on Kodi 19.1.

Not needed to tinker with settings on either the Synology or Kodi (thankfully!) after updating from DSM 6.

My NFS settings are similar but also have the "higher ports" setting ticked.
I specifically called out the IP of my Fire TV in the hostname, but I remember the settings also worked with the * wildcard.

For the full picture:

Control Panel / File Services / NFS 
  • Enabled
  • Max. NFSv3
  • Advanced, Apply default Unix permissions ticked.

Control Panel / Shared Folders / Select Folder / Edit
  • General Tab - Nothing ticked
  • Unencrypted
  • No Advanced options
  • Permissions set to read/write for the admin and Kodi user.
  • No advanced permissions
Thanks. My settings are same but still no go. NFS shares are visible but cannot enter them. Have also raised a support ticket at Synology support
I have the same problem as @tuareg, tried all the possible 'fixes' mentioned here and on the Synology forum. I'm running the latest Kodi version on a Nvidia Shield 2019 edition and I really hope someone finds a working solution soon. I miss watching my shows and movies on the TV now Angry
The problem seems to be solved after a reply for my support ticket from Synology Support. Glad to note that they are pretty helpful. I was at my wits end and switching to SMB instead of NFS. But I do prefer NFS because it has a smaller overhead and I had faced a problem with it earlier.

Working Solution:
1. Change "squash" to map all user to admin
2. Change IP to *.* ( this may or may not be required as per them) 

I changed both settings in NFS permissions as above and my DS416 Play NAS now all folders can be entered into like it was in DSM 6.2.

Trust the above helps. Best Regards
(2021-08-13, 09:03)tuareg Wrote: The problem seems to be solved after a reply for my support ticket from Synology Support. Glad to note that they are pretty helpful. I was at my wits end and switching to SMB instead of NFS. But I do prefer NFS because it has a smaller overhead and I had faced a problem with it earlier.

Working Solution:
1. Change "squash" to map all user to admin
2. Change IP to *.* ( this may or may not be required as per them) 

I changed both settings in NFS permissions as above and my DS416 Play NAS now all folders can be entered into like it was in DSM 6.2.

Trust the above helps. Best Regards
Darren Hill's reply above was also correct, but I did not see that my squash was set to Map root to admin instead of all users to admin. That setting had worked in DSM 6.2
Glad you got it resolved, and useful to know for the future. Will probably look to update my NAS to DSM7 over the weekend.

Thread marked solved.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Just to follow-up, my 1016+ was updated successfully this morning, and NFS (and indeed almost everything else) is working fine with the settings posted above.

From some team testing, it works fine on LibreElec and Windows Kodi, but there seems to be some issue on Ubuntu (seemingly due to a bug in the OS itself).

Lost a couple of packages to incompatability, but nothing that wasn't unexpected and replaced (Python 3 dropped as it's now built-in to DSM7, and Nano moved from one community package into another one).

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NFS sources not opening/being selected in Kodi after updating NAS with DSM70