Does KODI corrupt itself over time?
I have been using KODi on and off for many years, multiple different hardware set ups, verity of different Windows OS, dedicated PC's "not used to web surf, so don't believe its viral issues", only things I run normally is KODI, Emby/Plexx server for streaming to the rest of the house and Eventghost, no add-ons, all movies have been stored on a verity ways, internal hard drives, external hard drive, NAS device.  Seems like as time goes on, more and more issues start popping up.   Crashes, freeze up, trouble launching movies, things like that.  Updating KODI, uninstalling and reinstalling does not fix, only solution has been to wipe windows and start over.   AS stated this has seemed to be on ongoing for years, through mutiple versions of KODI.  Any one else noticed this?
No.  My mishaps using Kodi were brought on by myself;  Improper shutdowns, alpha/beta builds and add-ons, my own experiments, overlapping upgrades, improper settings for my usage, hardware/software/driver changes, etc.  I cured all this by always having a back-up of a working install.  I simply copy and paste my entire userdata folder, from time to time, that I can quickly retrieve to replace an install I bungled that isn't worth the time to repair.  Never, ever, have I needed to resort to reinstalling an O/S such as Windows due to something I messed up in Kodi.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2021-10-02, 18:04)mpg732 Wrote: I have been using KODi on and off for many years, multiple different hardware set ups, verity of different Windows OS, dedicated PC's "not used to web surf, so don't believe its viral issues", only things I run normally is KODI, Emby/Plexx server for streaming to the rest of the house and Eventghost, no add-ons, all movies have been stored on a verity ways, internal hard drives, external hard drive, NAS device.  Seems like as time goes on, more and more issues start popping up.   Crashes, freeze up, trouble launching movies, things like that.  Updating KODI, uninstalling and reinstalling does not fix, only solution has been to wipe windows and start over.   AS stated this has seemed to be on ongoing for years, through mutiple versions of KODI.  Any one else noticed this?
Microsoft Visual C++ xxxx (year) Redistributable xxx.xxxxx (version) does get corrupted and frequently you will have no error message, other than Kodi does not load and(or) it freezes. Already helped a few who were scratching their heads, simple fix delete via Control panel >> Programs and Features - then run Kodi install to reinstall

As with @brazen1 never had to reinstall an OS and I take backups regularly
I had no problems but I decided to do some maintenance.  I made a system image and deleted all the Microsoft Visual C++ xxxx (year) Redistributable xxx.xxxxx (versions) along with Kodi and rebooted.  Then I reinstalled Kodi along with the Visual C++ and Redistributable.  It still worked fine.  However, none of my other software worked any longer because they were all dependent on their own versions of C++ and redistributables.  Even my mouse/keyboard using SetPoint software/drivers was DOA.  Newer versions DO NOT simply fill in for the deleted/uninstalled.  Evidently, they are part of install packages you may or may not be able to see installing and deleting them leaves no hope of them working again without a lot of determination.  I have 10 different versions installed - each dedicated to various necessary installations.  Fixed in 10mins thanks to the system image and if anyone is contemplating the same maintenance, I suggest you backup prior.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2021-10-03, 01:05)brazen1 Wrote: I had no problems but I decided to do some maintenance.  I made a system image and deleted all the Microsoft Visual C++ xxxx (year) Redistributable xxx.xxxxx (versions) along with Kodi and rebooted.  Then I reinstalled Kodi along with the Visual C++ and Redistributable.  It still worked fine.  However, none of my other software worked any longer because they were all dependent on their own versions of C++ and redistributables.  Even my mouse/keyboard using SetPoint software/drivers was DOA.  Newer versions DO NOT simply fill in for the deleted/uninstalled.  Evidently, they are part of install packages you may or may not be able to see installing and deleting them leaves no hope of them working again without a lot of determination.  I have 10 different versions installed - each dedicated to various necessary installations.  Fixed in 10mins thanks to the system image and if anyone is contemplating the same maintenance, I suggest you backup prior.
Sorry forgot to include a warning, if there is more than one version of Visual C++, you can easily check which version(s) are used by Kodi.

Leia

Matrix

Have various older versions (some go back ten years) without a major issues, but I've had numerous crashes based on testing new scripts/add-ons etc.. if Kodi is in the middle of a background write, software can get corrupt. Every couple of years I have to manually go through thumbnail files looking for odd half tone colours to delete the image, I then get a slight speed up. Each Kodi upgrade, I install a new portable instillation to keep library fragmentation to a minimum and give a fresh start.
(2021-10-03, 04:23)PatK Wrote: Each Kodi upgrade, I install a new portable instillation to keep library fragmentation to a minimum and give a fresh start.
I'm not sure I get what you mean by this. Do you re-scrape everything at every major upgrade?
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
(2021-10-03, 12:48)ashlar Wrote: Do you re-scrape everything at every major upgrade?
I do scrape for each major iteration e.g. from Leia to Matrix, it's all local, taking in existing meta-data and it's pretty fast. I do copy the sources.xml, advancedsettings.xml, playlists, and nodes manually, re-install add-ons & scripts. Once in place, I don't recall ever having a major issue weeks/years later.
(2021-10-03, 16:49)PatK Wrote:
(2021-10-03, 12:48)ashlar Wrote: Do you re-scrape everything at every major upgrade?
I do scrape for each major iteration e.g. from Leia to Matrix, it's all local, taking in existing meta-data and it's pretty fast. I do copy the sources.xml, advancedsettings.xml, playlists, and nodes manually, re-install add-ons & scripts. Once in place, I don't recall ever having a major issue weeks/years later.
Do you keep watched status this way?
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
(2021-10-03, 19:50)ashlar Wrote: Do you keep watched status this way?
advancedsettings.xml (wiki) 2.4.14 videolibrary appreciates my watched into the exported library.
(2021-10-03, 19:50)ashlar Wrote:
(2021-10-03, 16:49)PatK Wrote:
Do you keep watched status this way?

Watched status is in each nfo
FWIW the vcredist.exe shipped with Kodi 19.1 is Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistributable (x64) - 14.28.29914

scott s.
(2021-10-04, 01:52)scott967 Wrote: FWIW the vcredist.exe shipped with Kodi 19.1 is Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistributable (x64) - 14.28.29914

scott s.

Perhaps it used to be, just downloaded and checked

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Does KODI corrupt itself over time?0