How Do I Downgrade Kodi Media Player 19.1 Back To 18.9 on My Android Television
Sony xbr-49x800D. 3 or 4 years old. Android TV. I just use the Kodi Media Player (App) to play video files off of USB sticks. That's it. Yesterday I hooked up the Internet to the TV for the first time in almost a year and Kodi updated from 18.9 to 19.1. There is a problem with fast forward for me with this version. For example if the file is 30 minutes and I FF 16x or 32x and go to say the 22 minute mark I don't get that. The file only advances about 5 minutes or so. I tried different flash drives all with the same results. That problem was definitely not there with version 18.9.

So I am not at all Android TV savvy though I do know how to uninstall an app. But how do I find and then install version 18.9 FOR DUMMIES.

Thank you.
(2021-10-02, 23:11)phaedruspress Wrote: Sony xbr-49x800D. 3 or 4 years old. Android TV. I just use the Kodi Media Player (App) to play video files off of USB sticks. That's it. Yesterday I hooked up the Internet to the TV for the first time in almost a year and Kodi updated from 18.9 to 19.1. There is a problem with fast forward for me with this version. For example if the file is 30 minutes and I FF 16x or 32x and go to say the 22 minute mark I don't get that. The file only advances about 5 minutes or so. I tried different flash drives all with the same results. That problem was definitely not there with version 18.9.

So I am not at all Android TV savvy though I do know how to uninstall an app. But how do I find and then install version 18.9 FOR DUMMIES.

Thank you.
Hello! I am really new to this app but I still maybe able to help you,
First You need to install any Backup & Restore addon and backup your Kodi data if you dont want to lose all Kodi addons and more.

Kodi 18.9 for Android can be found here (APK file, its a safe link from Apkmirror)
Click here to Download

Transfer this file to your Tv, Uninstall current version of Kodi (make sure you have done the backup) and Install this Apk file
Restore your data again using the same Backup & Restore addon that you installed previously.
Smile
The older apk files are available for download from our mirror server. You don't need to take any risks with 3rd party providers to get them.

Note that addons for Matrix (v19) are not compatible with those for Leia (v18) due to the Python change, so when your device updated it will have downloaded any Python3 versions of the addons that were available to it. If you manually downgrade and try to restore things back, you will have to manually find and re-install the older Python2 versions of the addons too.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2021-10-03, 14:10)Rushil Wrote:
(2021-10-02, 23:11)phaedruspress Wrote: Sony xbr-49x800D. 3 or 4 years old. Android TV. I just use the Kodi Media Player (App) to play video files off of USB sticks. That's it. Yesterday I hooked up the Internet to the TV for the first time in almost a year and Kodi updated from 18.9 to 19.1. There is a problem with fast forward for me with this version. For example if the file is 30 minutes and I FF 16x or 32x and go to say the 22 minute mark I don't get that. The file only advances about 5 minutes or so. I tried different flash drives all with the same results. That problem was definitely not there with version 18.9.

Thank you.
Hello! I am really new to this app but I still maybe able to help you,
First You need to install any Backup & Restore addon and backup your Kodi data if you dont want to lose all Kodi addons and more.

Kodi 18.9 for Android can be found here (APK file, its a safe link from Apkmirror)
Click here to Download

Transfer this file to your Tv, Uninstall current version of Kodi (make sure you have done the backup) and Install this Apk file
Restore your data again using the same Backup & Restore addon that you installed previously.
Smile
Thanks for responding. I have no Kodi backup data to install or addons. All I have ever done was go to the Google Play store and download the app. I have never added anything to the Kodi Media Player. Preferences are not important to me. When you transfer the file that I have downloaded to the tv do you mean download to my computer and put it on a usb stick and plug that into the tv? How do I install an APK file once it's on the usb stick and plugged into the back of the tv? and shouldn't I first uninstall the current version before attempting to installing the older version? Thanks.
(2021-10-03, 14:31)DarrenHill Wrote: The older apk files are available for download from our mirror server. You don't need to take any risks with 3rd party providers to get them.

Note that addons for Matrix (v19) are not compatible with those for Leia (v18) due to the Python change, so when your device updated it will have downloaded any Python3 versions of the addons that were available to it. If you manually downgrade and try to restore things back, you will have to manually find and re-install the older Python2 versions of the addons too.

Thanks for replying and providing that link. I have no addons associated with the Kodi media player. All I have is the app that I downloaded from the Google Play Store about 4 years ago that has been upgraded maybe twice before and just the other day it was upgraded to 19.xxx. Preference do not matter. So your instructions would be to download the Leia version from the link that you provided from my computer and put it on a usb stick and plug that in the back of the tv. Then before I attempt to install the file on the USB stick I should uninstall the current version on the tv, v19.xx, is that right so far? And then how do I install the Leia version on the USB stick now plugged into the back of the tv? Thanks for your help.
Normally you will have to use a file manager on the TV to open the USB stick and double-click on the apk file to install it. Most commonly you will also have to enable installing apps from 3rd party sources on the TV, as that is normally not enabled by default. Simplest way there is to try it and see, if it is not enabled then you'll get an error pop-up, usually with a link to click to go to the setting to enable it.

What you will also need to do is disable app auto-updates on your TV, otherwise it will just see the older Kodi install compared to the one in the app store and update it again from there. That's usually a setting in the play store app itself.

From a quick Google search, the links below might help somewhat (there are plenty of tutorials out there if they don't):

https://www.howtogeek.com/280763/how-to-...ndroid-tv/
https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-...-p/2347365
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/suppo...s/00113306

Depending on your TV there may be some variations on the theme, but they should give you some starting points.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2021-10-03, 16:00)DarrenHill Wrote: Normally you will have to use a file manager on the TV to open the USB stick and double-click on the apk file to install it. Most commonly you will also have to enable installing apps from 3rd party sources on the TV, as that is normally not enabled by default. Simplest way there is to try it and see, if it is not enabled then you'll get an error pop-up, usually with a link to click to go to the setting to enable it.

What you will also need to do is disable app auto-updates on your TV, otherwise it will just see the older Kodi install compared to the one in the app store and update it again from there. That's usually a setting in the play store app itself.

From a quick Google search, the links below might help somewhat (there are plenty of tutorials out there if they don't):

Depending on your TV there may be some variations on the theme, but they should give you some starting points.

>Normally you will have to use a file manager on the TV to open the USB stick

Thanks for the additional info and links. I don't think I have a file manager installed on my pre-installed apps since I purchased the tv 4 or so years ago and I know I never installed one from the Google Play store.  I'll check out the links and see if I can find some more info. Thanks again.
(2021-10-03, 16:24)phaedruspress Wrote:
(2021-10-03, 16:00)DarrenHill Wrote:
(2021-10-03, 16:24)phaedruspress Wrote:
(2021-10-03, 16:00)DarrenHill Wrote: Normally you will have to use a file manager on the TV to open the USB stick and double-click on the apk file to install it. Most commonly you will also have to enable installing apps from 3rd party sources on the TV, as that is normally not enabled by default. Simplest way there is to try it and see, if it is not enabled then you'll get an error pop-up, usually with a link to click to go to the setting to enable it.

Thanks for the additional info and links. I don't think I have a file manager installed on my pre-installed apps since I purchased the tv 4 or so years ago and I know I never installed one from the Google Play store.  I'll check out the links and see if I can find some more info. Thanks again.
Normally you will have to use a file manager on the TV to open the USB stick and double-click on the apk file to install it. Most commonly you will also have to enable installing apps from 3rd party sources on the TV, as that is normally not enabled by default. Simplest way there is to try it and see, if it is not enabled then you'll get an error pop-up, usually with a link to click to go to the setting to enable it.

As you dont have any important data in Kodi, first uninstall Kodi. Download Older version from the link @DarrenHill has provided.
You can download any Transfer files to Android TV files app from Playstore on Android TV and use it to Transfer the older version apk file or Transfer it using a USB..
Now download any file manager on Android TV and install the transferred apk file.

There is no option to disable auto update on Android TV but since you have installed the apk file, you don't have to worry about it.. Apk files does not update automatically and you will not get any problem again even after turning on internet.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How Do I Downgrade Kodi Media Player 19.1 Back To 18.9 on My Android Television0