Kodi with ATSC3.0/HEVC/AC-4 Audio Support
I've just completed a successful build of Kodi that supports SiliconDust HDHomeRun tuners that receive the new ATSC3.0 broadcasts that were recently rolled out in large test areas.  This is a 64-bit Windows build of Kodi from the latest sources on github but modified to use an ffmpeg library that supports AC-4 audio.  This build has been tested on Windows 10 & 11 with NextPVR as the back-end.  I can successfully watch, record and play back all ATSC3 broadcasts in the Phoenix area.  If anyone is interested in testing this build, please reply to this thread or send me a PM for a download link.  I'm assuming that anyone interested already has some experience installing and configuring NextPVR and the NextPVR add-on within Kodi.
(2021-10-16, 00:50)ferrellsl Wrote: I've just completed a successful build of Kodi that supports SiliconDust HDHomeRun tuners that receive the new ATSC3.0 broadcasts that were recently rolled out in large test areas.  This is a 64-bit Windows build of Kodi from the latest sources on github but modified to use an ffmpeg library that supports AC-4 audio.  This build has been tested on Windows 10 & 11 with NextPVR as the back-end.  I can successfully watch, record and play back all ATSC3 broadcasts in the Phoenix area.  If anyone is interested in testing this build, please reply to this thread or send me a PM for a download link.  I'm assuming that anyone interested already has some experience installing and configuring NextPVR and the NextPVR add-on within Kodi.

I forgot to mention that this build does NOT require a PVR subscription with SiliconDust.
Do you have a link so I can download and test this build?
Would this work with the Zuki HD Homerun Client as well?
Here you go:  Kido-AC4-setup.exe
(2021-12-26, 05:57)relayer35 Wrote: Would this work with the Zuki HD Homerun Client as well?

I have no idea as I haven't tried it, but it should working in theory.  I use the NextPVR client by Graeme Blackley ver. 20.1.3 and everything is working just fine, even scheduling/recording of ATSC3.0 channels.  Best part about using this modified version of Kodi with Graeme's add-on is that I don't have to pay any subscription fees now for recording shows.
(2021-12-21, 10:53)dang2 Wrote: Do you have a link so I can download and test this build?

Here's the link:  Kodi-AC4-setup.exe  Use the NextPVR add-on by Graeme Blackley within Kodi instead of the one by SiliconDust.
Since you a patching Kodi it shouldn't matter what backend you use as long as they capture raw ts. @djp952 might be able to comment.  NextPVR would really only be suggested if you want AC-4 support on Android devices.

Martin
(2021-12-31, 20:09)emveepee Wrote: Since you a patching Kodi it shouldn't matter what backend you use as long as they capture raw ts. @djp952 might be able to comment.  NextPVR would really only be suggested if you want AC-4 support on Android devices.

Martin

It does matter for PC users because using an AC-4 patched version of Kodi with NextPVR as the backend allows you to record AND playback ATSC3.0 and ATSC1.0 programming without having to pay a monthly subscription to do so.  The SiliconDust PVR add-on doesn't even allow recording at all according to the wiki here, only playback of live TV:  https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:HDHomeRun.  By using this patched version of Kodi and Graeme Blackley's NextPVR add-on I get playback and recording of all my channels within Kodi and no subscription fees.
(2021-12-31, 21:47)ferrellsl Wrote:
(2021-12-31, 20:09)emveepee Wrote: Since you a patching Kodi it shouldn't matter what backend you use as long as they capture raw ts. @djp952 might be able to comment.  NextPVR would really only be suggested if you want AC-4 support on Android devices.

Martin

It does matter for PC users because using an AC-4 patched version of Kodi with NextPVR as the backend allows you to record AND playback ATSC3.0 and ATSC1.0 programming without having to pay a monthly subscription to do so.  The SiliconDust PVR add-on doesn't even allow recording at all according to the wiki here, only playback of live TV:  https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:HDHomeRun.  By using this patched version of Kodi and Graeme Blackley's NextPVR add-on I get playback and recording of all my channels within Kodi and no subscription fees.
Just a follow up question...suppose you already subscribe to the PVR service, in which case there is Zuki's HD Homerun Client for Kodi. Theoretically. that should work (on Windows at least)? Problem is, I didn't see either PVR client that is directly for the HD Homerun Service, since the patched build is built of Nexus and not Matrix.
@ferrellsl says his build is for NextPVR 20.1.3  and that was before a major binary update so it is no longer compatible with current PVR addons. As always unofficial Kodi builds without a patch file are not easy to support. 

Earlier I noted that @djp952 has to comment on this and on the status of Nexus builds.

Martin
Hi everyone, I've kind of been "on a break" from Kodi for a while now, but I got word from emveepee (thank you) that you were looking for me here.

I spent this evening updating the "zuki" addon for the current state of Kodi Nexus, and built a formal release for it: 2022.01.12 Nexus Release

I do not have easy access to any HEVC/AC-4 channels via my HDHomeRun devices, so I cannot guarantee any success here.  I am considering forking over the cash to get an ATSC 3.0 tuner device for support purposes since I live very close to a "major market" and that market has been gradually (slowly) working on ATSC 3.0, though.  From the things I see on SD's forum, ATSC 3.0 is really hit and miss still depending on the market Sad

If you understand that the addon is limited to sending Kodi whatever HDHomeRun is trying to sell it, it's out there now and I would sincerely appreciate any feedback since I currently cannot take part in testing...
Where does the EPG data come from?
That Wiki is ancient history.  Silicon Dust does not have a Kodi PVR addon.  There is a third party PVR that works with HDHR products and does record and playback.  But I suspect you knew that already.
(2021-12-31, 18:48)ferrellsl Wrote: Here you go:  Kido-AC4-setup.exe

@ferrellsl , Thanks.  I'll try this out.  I'm a developer on the Cliff Watson EPG Program team.  Our app is in the Windows Store and it will soon support HDHomerun ATSC 3.0 recordings.  I've also installed your VideoPlayer from GitHub and given it a spin.  Thanks for creating it!  It played our test clip (from the Charlotte DMA) well, so you can add that to the list.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi with ATSC3.0/HEVC/AC-4 Audio Support0