• 15(current)
[Win][v19+] Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback
(2022-05-18, 12:00)damagedspline Wrote:
(2022-05-16, 09:36)Krobar Wrote: If you do have time to look at the audio issue described below I would really appreciate it:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/17427

Did you try enabling the "send low noise" in settings->system->audio?

That doesn't help and I don't think would have any effect in this case. The issue with <1568SPF seems to be related to this function:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/b30b36...r.cpp#L347

When multiple smaller EAC3 frames (eg. 256SPF) need to be combined it correctly combines them but the rate of audio packet output on HDMI does not adjust. This means for 256SPF EAC3 content it correctly combines 6 EAC3 frames but the actual audio output rate on HDMI does not adjust so you get one good combined output frame of 6 followed by 5 empty audio output frames which causes most receivers to continually re-lock.
Has anyone tried to look at AMD Ryzen with 3D recently ?

I had the 18.2 MVC build running nicely on AMD Ryzen in 2019, see my post from the old MVC thread.

Alas, sometimes in i think 2021, after some windows 10 and/or AMD driver upgrade, it stopped working. Starting the 18.2 MVC build would just result in AMD graphic driver crash, which would make the display instead use some backup graphic driver from microsoft. I had to reboot to get the AMD driver operating on the display again. And now, in 2022 it got even worse: Once i run the 18.2 or the new 19.x MVC build on the Ryzen, i pretty much have to restore windows from backup (or restore point, only i don't use them):

When KOdi MVC starts and you tell it to play back with "hardware accelerated" (hdmi 1.4 3D mode), it crashes and the display driver crashes. Display driver in use then only displays at 4k (my projector), and the resolution can not be changed. When i reboot, i can see that directly when getting into windows, exactly the same happens. Aka: Some upgrade to the AMD driver must have introduced a bug that the selected 3D resolution is not reset, and so one never gets a chance to change that resolution. I tried to remove various registry keys, used DDU, but all to no avail.

Any ideas welcome. But if there is no solution to this problem, then running the MVC build on an AMD card is a complete poison pill ;-(

And i unfortunately can not even go back anymore to check older AMD drivers, because in the middle of this all, i had to take the great upgrade option to a 5600G, which hasn't been supported by the drivers all that long i think (but its not the cause of the problem, that happened equally with the old 2400G).
(2022-06-27, 18:58)te36 Wrote: Has anyone tried to look at AMD Ryzen with 3D recently ?

I had the 18.2 MVC build running nicely on AMD Ryzen in 2019, see my post from the old MVC thread.

Alas, sometimes in i think 2021, after some windows 10 and/or AMD driver upgrade, it stopped working. Starting the 18.2 MVC build would just result in AMD graphic driver crash, which would make the display instead use some backup graphic driver from microsoft. I had to reboot to get the AMD driver operating on the display again. And now, in 2022 it got even worse: Once i run the 18.2 or the new 19.x MVC build on the Ryzen, i pretty much have to restore windows from backup (or restore point, only i don't use them):

When KOdi MVC starts and you tell it to play back with "hardware accelerated" (hdmi 1.4 3D mode), it crashes and the display driver crashes. Display driver in use then only displays at 4k (my projector), and the resolution can not be changed. When i reboot, i can see that directly when getting into windows, exactly the same happens. Aka: Some upgrade to the AMD driver must have introduced a bug that the selected 3D resolution is not reset, and so one never gets a chance to change that resolution. I tried to remove various registry keys, used DDU, but all to no avail.

Any ideas welcome. But if there is no solution to this problem, then running the MVC build on an AMD card is a complete poison pill ;-(

And i unfortunately can not even go back anymore to check older AMD drivers, because in the middle of this all, i had to take the great upgrade option to a 5600G, which hasn't been supported by the drivers all that long i think (but its not the cause of the problem, that happened equally with the old 2400G).

Sadly, i dont have an amd system i can debug this scenario on so i cant comment on that...

If you are using the latest 3d kodi release:
1) disable the 3d display setting in windows
2) in kodi display settings mark "auto control 3d"
3) switch to kodi sound settings and back to display settings and you can now mark "hardware based"
4) under player settings -> video, i would advice setting the mfx level value to a low one - like 4 or 10. Setting incorrect value here would yield either mono image or no 3d at all.

If that works for you, please post a full guide here and i will link it in the first post
(2022-06-28, 20:18)damagedspline Wrote: Sadly, i dont have an amd system i can debug this scenario on so i cant comment on that...

3) switch to kodi sound settings and back to display settings and you can now mark "hardware based"
4) under player settings -> video, i would advice setting the mfx level value to a low one - like 4 or 10. Setting incorrect value here would yield either mono image or no 3d at all.

If that works for you, please post a full guide here and i will link it in the first post

Thanks.

Following your instructions, i get the same experience as with 18.2mvc. Aka: I can immediately restore my windows partition after kodi tries to go to hardware based display resolution mode. What a broken display driver.

The 19mvc build is nice when outputting e.g. SBS instead of hardware based, and i didn't even needed to use libmfxsw64 to play mvc iso. But then again, i was always utterly confused about why needs the mvc build just to decode mvc. E.g.: makemkv BD3D  rips to mkv are still mvc and still play in any non-mvc kodi build. Semms the mvc builds are more about the way mvc is present on BD iso, not mvc by itsel. Oh well, different question ;-)

When i manually in windows configure the display for 1080p 3D, i get the display to give me 3D mode, but kodi then still renders only the right eye, as it does when playing a 2D video in this mode. So not working at all that display driver.

Now i am also utterly confused about mfx level given how i wouldn't even see a libmfx installed anywhere nor any error message that its missing. What is that mfx level in the config good for ?
(2022-06-29, 03:09)te36 Wrote:
(2022-06-28, 20:18)damagedspline Wrote: Sadly, i dont have an amd system i can debug this scenario on so i cant comment on that...

Thanks.

Following your instructions, i get the same experience as with 18.2mvc. Aka: I can immediately restore my windows partition after kodi tries to go to hardware based display resolution mode. What a broken display driver.

The 19mvc build is nice when outputting e.g. SBS instead of hardware based, and i didn't even needed to use libmfxsw64 to play mvc iso. But then again, i was always utterly confused about why needs the mvc build just to decode mvc. E.g.: makemkv BD3D  rips to mkv are still mvc and still play in any non-mvc kodi build. Semms the mvc builds are more about the way mvc is present on BD iso, not mvc by itsel. Oh well, different question ;-)

When i manually in windows configure the display for 1080p 3D, i get the display to give me 3D mode, but kodi then still renders only the right eye, as it does when playing a 2D video in this mode. So not working at all that display driver.

Now i am also utterly confused about mfx level given how i wouldn't even see a libmfx installed anywhere nor any error message that its missing. What is that mfx level in the config good for ?

MFX is related to the "why fork is needed question". On a bluray iso, 3D content is scattered across 2 different files, one for right and one for left. That is done by creating a hole in the libbluray API to allow parallelized reading. For mkv's this works a little different as the frames are in the same file but need to be joined in a frame packed way. Here we have libmfx to do the caching per eye and allow syncing. Becuase kodi kodi uses directx on windows its easier to use a directx wrapper like libmfx to achieve that than to write one from scratch. Libmfx only had Intel gpu HW support, but for the rest there is a SW support which utilize the cpu instead. MFX level must match the libmfxsw.dll you use, otherwise it will fail to init mfx as a whole.

When using auto 3d control in kodi it is recommended not to set the current stereoscopic mode to hardware based, but only to set the preferred stereoscopic mode to hardware based. This is because kodi has really annoying code flow when it comes to 3d and behaviour can differ on different systems (even intel ones).

If you only see one eye during play, click 'o' in playback mode to check which decoder it use. If is does not mention mvc, it might explain your issue, if it does it might be that the second eye is simply not ready to be rendered indefinitely and require enabled logging for further information.
@damagedspline Thanks. more:

question 1:

Given how i can successfully decode MVC and display SBS, there must be some working libmfxsw on my system (given how i don't have intel GPU, and AMD only support software). But i cannot find any such file on my system. Where is it supposed to be ? Is it included invisible somewhere in Kodi ? Or is there actually anothre library supporting the single-file mvc decode ?

question 2:

Where/how is this mfx parameter used then ? I mean for the 18.2mvc build i did see a difference in how well it worked based on which version of libmfxsw i did put into the kodi directory. So i was figuring that the mfx parameter that can now be configured has something to do to match up the libmfxsw that is installed. But given how i have no libmfxsw installed, i am totall confused. Also i don't see error message popups that libmfxsw is missing...

Btw:

Blu Rays do not only have the two separated m2ts files. That separation is mostly for backward compatibility with 3D players to have the separate H264 file. In the subdirectory SSIF there is also the complete, interleaved single file 3D. The latest version of the 18.2mvc build could actually also play that file, haven't tried with your build yet.
(2022-06-30, 15:54)te36 Wrote: @damagedspline Thanks. more:

question 1:

Given how i can successfully decode MVC and display SBS, there must be some working libmfxsw on my system (given how i don't have intel GPU, and AMD only support software). But i cannot find any such file on my system. Where is it supposed to be ? Is it included invisible somewhere in Kodi ? Or is there actually anothre library supporting the single-file mvc decode ?
With which kodi build are you able to decode MVC? Official latest release?

Also, in which video container? (ISO, mkv...) Some container files have different flow inside kodi...

(2022-06-30, 15:54)te36 Wrote: question 2:

Where/how is this mfx parameter used then ? I mean for the 18.2mvc build i did see a difference in how well it worked based on which version of libmfxsw i did put into the kodi directory. So i was figuring that the mfx parameter that can now be configured has something to do to match up the libmfxsw that is installed. But given how i have no libmfxsw installed, i am totall confused. Also i don't see error message popups that libmfxsw is missing...

Probably it exist in system32 or somewhere accessible. You can install the "search everything" utility to find it. MFX libs are not included in the kodi mvc build due to licensing. Instead it is using an invoker to dynamically load it from the system (gpu driver / system32) and dynamically call funcs from it.

(2022-06-30, 15:54)te36 Wrote: Btw:

Blu Rays do not only have the two separated m2ts files. That separation is mostly for backward compatibility with 3D players to have the separate H264 file. In the subdirectory SSIF there is also the complete, interleaved single file 3D. The latest version of the 18.2mvc build could actually also play that file, haven't tried with your build yet.

I dont believe the the frames are stored as both seperated m2ts files and as a single ssif file, it is wasteful for a limited spaced BR medium to hold. Ssif file may be just a pointer to the m2ts files, i will search for some specs to verify, but looking at the ssif file size can easily determine that.
@damagedspline :

I am just wasting my time to first resolve this problem. Without being able to get software player setting to work, i don't think i will get the 3D to work correctly. Its crazy. I just did a fresh windows 10 install with WinToGo USB stick, and i still see this software rendering issue on my AMD. When i had 18.2mvc running, i could only get libmfxsw64 to run when i selected software decode in the player, otherwise it would not be used.

Yes, i could not reproduce the ability to decode MVC correctly without libmfxsw64.dll installed. My mistake during testing was to use SBS output (because there is the core problem of that maybe not working on AMD because of OS-release and/or AMD driver), but then i didn't check with glasses whether there where really two pictures. Your suggestion for 'o' from prior post to diagnose was very helpful. and when i set my projector to sbs i could also see that what looked like 3D was just duplicate of a single eye.

Yes, i had to download libmfx, newer versions from intels site (Media SDK) after registering *sigh*. Annoying thing is that that site doesn't even allow to download when i am not on an intel windows system (aka: couldn't download directly from my AMD system). Had to use an Intel CPU system.

The storage of MVC on BluRay is a single SSIF file where the two set of frames, H264 for left eye and MVC for right eye are interleaved. The m2ts files then include in their UDF file-system structure only the sectors for their own eye, aka: left-eye m2ts is just the left-eye H264 sectors, so it is compatible with non-3D blu ray playback. Right eye m2ts is only the MVC sectors for the right eye. This is why a file-by-file backup tool like MakeMKV can not give you a good 1:1 copy, because you'd end up with a BD copy that has the left and right eyes non-interleaved, and if you try to play that back on a BD drive, then you will kill the head moving back and forth. Probably won't be fast enough to play back at all. 

I am still curious as to which number your MFX version parameter relates to. There are various versions of libmfx, whose numbers i guess relate to the media SDK release. Is your config number some SDK API version, and if so, do you have an idea whether that is also included in the Media SDK / libmfx version number ? That would help to set the parameter right for the libmfxsw64.dll that one has installed.
Are you trying and not succeeding to get 3D working with an AMD CPU? Intel has been working (mostly) for a long time. It's just so much simpler than trying to fight with another processor that doesn't want to play nice. Cost is always an issue but time is also money. Just putting that out there.
(2022-07-05, 08:28)K0D1User1138 Wrote: Are you trying and not succeeding to get 3D working with an AMD CPU? Intel has been working (mostly) for a long time. It's just so much simpler than trying to fight with another processor that doesn't want to play nice. Cost is always an issue but time is also money. Just putting that out there.
3D was working fine for me on AMD with the 18.2mvc build. Something broke though in the switching to HDMI1.4 3D video mode, not quite sure yet, had to diagnose.

With the Kodi 19 builds that this thread is about, there are two additional issues:
a) The mvc build does not seem to correctly interact with libmfxsw64.dll, at least i can not manage to make it decode MVC whatever i se the API level parameter to.
b) Kodi 19 doe not work with "Software" rendering on a monitor that is also HDR capable (even if HDR is switched off). I checked, and that issue is gone in Kodi 20 (probably too old ffmpeg version in Kodi 19, not clear). Software rendering setting is required to invoke libmfxsw64.dll, else it won't be used.

I have not fully decided whether this is mission impossible, but its close ;-)
(2022-07-06, 06:41)te36 Wrote: 3D was working fine for me on AMD with the 18.2mvc build. Something broke though in the switching to HDMI1.4 3D video mode, not quite sure yet, had to diagnose.

With the Kodi 19 builds that this thread is about, there are two additional issues:
a) The mvc build does not seem to correctly interact with libmfxsw64.dll, at least i can not manage to make it decode MVC whatever i se the API level parameter to.
b) Kodi 19 doe not work with "Software" rendering on a monitor that is also HDR capable (even if HDR is switched off). I checked, and that issue is gone in Kodi 20 (probably too old ffmpeg version in Kodi 19, not clear). Software rendering setting is required to invoke libmfxsw64.dll, else it won't be used.

I have not fully decided whether this is mission impossible, but its close ;-)

MFXLevel => right click on libmfxsw64.dll and the details tab, look at the version, should be 2X.0.1.Z where Z is the MFX level.
Which Kodi v20 build did you test?
(2022-07-07, 16:40)damagedspline Wrote:  MFXLevel => right click on libmfxsw64.dll and the details tab, look at the version, should be 2X.0.1.Z where Z is the MFX level.
Which Kodi v20 build did you test?

Kodi 20 is what i just downloaded a few days ago: 20.0.ALPHA1 (19.90.701), 64 bit

I have versions of libmfxsw64.dll such as 7.16.5.13, 8.18.6.8. The 7.x.y.z version is from 2017, the8.x.y.z version from 2018. So it is curious whether z is actually an API version, because it is lower in the 2018 dll than the 2017 dll. The libmfxsw64.dll i found from downloading the latest 2021R1 Intel Media SDK has a product version of 11.0.0.003. But that version has half the file size (8MByte) than the older version (21 MByte), so i think that MVC was even removed. This here seems to also seems some indirect proof of that.

Which version are you exactly looking at ?
(2022-07-08, 01:05)te36 Wrote: Kodi 20 is what i just downloaded a few days ago: 20.0.ALPHA1 (19.90.701), 64 bit

I have versions of libmfxsw64.dll such as 7.16.5.13, 8.18.6.8. The 7.x.y.z version is from 2017, the8.x.y.z version from 2018. So it is curious whether z is actually an API version, because it is lower in the 2018 dll than the 2017 dll. The libmfxsw64.dll i found from downloading the latest 2021R1 Intel Media SDK has a product version of 11.0.0.003. But that version has half the file size (8MByte) than the older version (21 MByte), so i think that MVC was even removed. This here seems to also seems some indirect proof of that.

Which version are you exactly looking at ?

Only kodi builds that are based on the mvc patch require libmfx, so unless you tried the kodi v20 alpha early build i did a while back, you might not use it.

I use Intel Media SDK 2021, but since i have intel gpus, the mfx dispacher uses the hw dlls and not libmfxsw64.dll. the only way for me to test it is to force the dispacher to sw decoding on my system but since I am currently deep in syncing to latest v20 code, i do not want to break anything at the moment...

About the ssif, kodi uses libbluray to parse and read the bluray content, i have yet to find a way to trace the correct ssif file for a given playlist stream - again, deep in code sync...
Some updates.

For the past week and a half i have been trying to sync the mvc patch on top kodi20 alpha2 but sadly recent changes broke bluray 3d playing. The best i got so far is that blurays (either iso or disc) can only play 3D when using show menu, but that is only partially working due to libmfx high frame caching requirement (still frames in bluray look like black image freeze).
Mkv3d & sbs/htab upscale seems to work ok.

I hope to have a solution in place by the next upstream beta release.

Update (27/Jul/22): I fixed the 3d direct m2ts playback issue so I have a working Kodi MVC v20 alpha2. Next on my list is the annoying stills issue during blu-ray menu playback. Since the issue is caused by buffering in libmfx, maybe I need to try and replace libmfx with something else.
Hi everyone, I plan to make a test build once the official Kodi v20 Beta1 will be released and I will need extra hands in testing it (MVC features only). Who will be willing to assist in testing it?

What to expect MVC patch for v20:
  • Everything in v19.4 MVC build1
  • Updated codebase + API changes
  • 3D bluray menu support, including the stills fix
  • 15(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Win][v19+] Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback0