v19 Third time is NOT a charm!
Hi everyone! I’m sure some of you will know the answer to this. I am using Kodi on an Nvidia Shield tube. I recently upgraded to v. 19.3 and after I have opened the app twice it stops opening. I have deleted it and reinstalled it several times and it stops opening after I have used it twice. This just started:
1.) when I upgraded from 18
2.) after I added a micro ssd card to the shield for more storage. 

Does anybody have any idea why Kodi stops opening?

Thanks!
Other than "it doesn't work", we didn't get much technical info. Try providing the debug log (wiki) file. You may have to connect via SMB to the Shield and pick up the file manually if Kodi keeps crashing instantly.
How can you provide a debug file if the app won’t open?
Ok this has happened 4 times now. Never happened when I was on version 18. I can install Kodi, use it once, close it and then it won’t open again. I am using it on Nvidia Shield tubes on two televisions. The only difference between the two is that the one that keeps losing Kodi has a 32 Gb SD card installed. In the device permissions Storage is enabled. Kodi is the only app on the device that stops opening. Maybe there’s a disconnect between Kodi and the SD card?
The process is probably still running in the background, even though the GUI portion of it has crashed / exited. That's probably why you can't re-open it. Likely causes for Kodi insta-crashing on launch are either an issue with your guisettings.xml file (try renaming it to something else and try again), corrupt commoncache.db file, or incompatible drivers/hardware - but these are symptoms i've experienced on Windows, not on an Nvidia Shield, admittedly. Somewhere to start looking at least.

You can enable debug logging via the advancedsettings.xml which might yield more answers as to what's causing the crash (and satisfy the Kodi Team). Details for that can be found here:

https://kodi.wiki/view/Log_file/Advanced

The TMDBHelper script also does a lot of information collection in the background, but does not provide any pop-up notification dialog to alert the user of that fact. Especially if a large library scrape / update has just taken place. Kodi will not fully exit until this script has reached it's natural conclusion, and it would appear that Kodi isn't able to force it to stop (on exit). So if you have that addon installed, that might also be an issue.

Dan / Gib.
Thank you so much!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Third time is NOT a charm!0