Movie's runtimes are false, because Kodi use the video file duration
Hi Smile ,

When i record movies with NextPVR, I choose my movies folder to have movie information retrieved from themoviedb with add-on Universal Movie Scraper.

It works fine except the runtime : it isn't the good one because Kodi use the video file duration to display the runtime, and not the "real" movie duration.

For instance, I recorded "The Mule". The recorded file include a lot of minutes before and after the movie (ads, etc.).

The information screen display 2h29m27s :

but the real runtime is 1h56m (source: themoviedatabase website) :

Is there any solution to display the good runtime ? (i don't want to edit the video file...).

Thanks
This is not a PVR question since duration from NextPVR and other backends will be the reported recording duration typically based on start and stop times not metadata.   I would check first with the Estuary skin to see if it is a skin issue and if not report this is the Video Library sub forum.

Martin
(2022-01-07, 16:37)emveepee Wrote: I would check first with the Estuary skin to see if it is a skin issue and if not report this is the Video Library sub forum.

Can't see how it can be an error.  Kodi reports the length of the video file as the duration.  Core has no clue if it contains adverts or padding or whatever.  Nor should it have.  It simply reports the entire duration.  If you want to remove adverts/commercials etc then use something like comskip to remove them.  That will get you closer to the actual runtime, but it isn't the job of core, or a skin, to figure this out.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Isn't the OP actually implying that the time in second screen shot is coming from the metadata and not the file duration that would be in the video library?

Martin
(2022-01-07, 22:07)emveepee Wrote: Isn't the OP actually implying that the time in second screen shot is coming from the metadata and not the file duration that would be in the video library?

Looks to me (of course I could be wrong), that the second screenshot is from the backend data (epg), which will know how long the runtime is (minus adverts etc).  First screenshot shows the actual runtime of the (recorded) video file... I think!
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2022-01-07, 22:33)black_eagle Wrote: Looks to me (of course I could be wrong), that the second screenshot is from the backend data (epg), which will know how long the runtime is (minus adverts etc).  First screenshot shows the actual runtime of the (recorded) video file... I think!
Not knowing what skins those are does make it confusing which is why I was wondering what Estuary would show.   The backend time and  the ffmpeg calculated time in Kodi will typically be close to the same since NextPVR reports the padding in the file duration.  Rarely, the ffmpeg calculated time is wrong because of crazy timestamps, and sometime NextPVR reports long if the tuner/source didn't deliver data for portions of the recording.

Kodi libraries can show the time less the commercials if the EDL file is type 0, but in PVR NextPVR forces type 3 because of confusion on the length.  That could also be at play here.

Martin
I'm not even sure the second screenshot is from Kodi.
Yes good point.  Looking closer it is certainly possible with that link Apple TV and looking at the Infolabels it doesn't look like the actual run time is available from the Video Library so this becomes a feature request.  It still doesn't belong in PVR.

Martin
(2022-01-08, 01:35)Hitcher Wrote: I'm not even sure the second screenshot is from Kodi.
I think it's from the TMDB, which makes sense when you read the OP. English language version of the same movie here:-
If they added recording to Kodi movie library without cutting out padding and ad's, surely that would explain the increased duration? I certainly wouldn't expect Kodi to show correct duration if I hadn't edited the recording file first.
It makes sense if you interpret "good" time to mean the release runtime which is where I went wrong.  Even taking out commercials and padding, shows are still edited for television, both for content and to fit a time slot so it might not match.

Martin
Hi,

Thanks a lot for your replies and sorry a lot for not having precised that my second screenshot was from themoviedatabse website; I edited my OP.

Reflecting and reading your messages, it is well about "metadata".
I think Kodi should display somewhere the release runtime when a video has been scraped to the library: the runtime should be retrieved from a source like tmdb or other with the scraper (Universal Movie Scraper or other) and be displayed in addition to the file duration (which could be useful to keep).

So yes, it is more a scraper and maybe also a skin question but because it happens only (often) with recording files, I posted in this subforum thinking other NextPVR users would maybe have a solution Smile.

To be more precise about what is annoying me: it is when I choose a movie to watch: I often look at the movie duration in the movie list to make a choice, but as I said, this data is wrong for movies I recorded.

Example with "MAJ" view type :

The duration in red rectangle is for file duration, ok, so it could be very useful to have the release duration somewhere else, like where I manually added a line (green rectangle).

What do you think?

Thanks Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Movie's runtimes are false, because Kodi use the video file duration0