Startup Issues- Can't isolate the issue
Hi there,

I've tried searching and found multiple threads about startup issues and have tried troubleshooting but the issue persists.

The problem: When I start Kodi it crashes with no error within a few seconds.

Some info:
  • Windows 11 machine that Kodi used to work on. I don't know if it's a coincidence that I haven't used Kodi in a while but it used to work on Windows 10
  • I started with Kodi 20 and then tried 19 and then 18.9 but the issue persists.
  • I have tried fresh installs, restarts on the computer every time, and deleted all persisting folders (i.e. userdata and cache) 
  • My video card is a GTC 1060 and the drivers are up to date
  • I don't have any other programs that crash and I haven't added anything recently (other than Jedi Fallen Order)
  • My computer is up to date with the latest windows updates
  • I have two monitors (one an older 1440p and a newer 1080p. I tried on both monitors and with one off at a time, same issue.
  • I don't see any error message but when I looked at the log saw something around HDR capable monitor but don't have any options for that enabled and tested on both monitors.
  • Have tried launching with and without VPN on.
  • I can't keep it alive for more than a couple seconds and then it freezes and crashes so no chance to change or check Kodi settings (although should be default and no addons). 
  • Have unplugged any controllers when testing
  • For some reason the pin to taskbar icon was still there but when I click on it, it says something like "this is invalid, do you want to delete the shortcut." The program still remains on my C drive. 
Here's the log

Any help is appreciated in advance!
@jibberishballr

Not much in the log. You need to enable Debug Mode. See here... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=323719
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2022-01-17, 05:15)Karellen Wrote: @jibberishballr

Not much in the log. You need to enable Debug Mode. See here... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=323719

Thanks. I tried the steps but am not seeing an advancedxml file in the location listed. I see a few other xml files. Guessing I need to create a blank one and add the code. I'll do that and see if it works, but if I'm heading in the wrong direction, please let me know.
Disregard. I see the next step on creating one ha. Will post shortly.
(2022-01-17, 05:15)Karellen Wrote: @jibberishballr

Here's the new log after adding the advancedsettings.xml and trying to start Kodi.
I can't see anything wrong in the log.

Any reason you installed v18.9? Can you install v19.3 and check if you still have issues. You can install it in Portable Mode just to check if it works, then delete it if you want... https://kodi.wiki/view/Portable_mode
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2022-01-17, 21:17)Karellen Wrote: I can't see anything wrong in the log.

Any reason you installed v18.9? Can you install v19.3 and check if you still have issues. You can install it in Portable Mode just to check if it works, then delete it if you want... https://kodi.wiki/view/Portable_mode

I originally tried 19.3, then 20 (nightly build) and finally 18.9. All same results...Each had full deletion of all Kodi files and reboots in between.
Any other ideas/suggestions?
(2022-01-18, 19:54)jibberishballr Wrote: Any other ideas/suggestions?
Sorry, none at all. The log does not show any problems.
Your hardware is still fairly current, so that should not be an issue.
Kodi is working on millions of installs
I can only assume there is a quirk in your setup. A buggy driver maybe?
I don't really know why you are defaulting to v18.9 when the current version is v19.3. I know you answered this before, but it still does not explain to me why you have v18.9 installed instead of v19.3
Delete your Kodi data folder (wiki), install v19.3 and provide that log. It may show more logging.
My Signature
Hi,
 I have the same problem. I have the latest install on a windows11 machine (2 pc's actually) It worked fine, but just for a few days. Have tried everything. Even did a clean install of windows but without result. Kodi starts and after a few seconds it freeze and disapear. I see lot off threads on the web with the same issue. It only occurs on windows11 machines. So I have to install windows10 again to use kodi.
I think problems come when another skin is used, in my case Aeon Tajo.
Hope someone have a solution.
Kodi is now working fine on one of the pc's with win11. But on the other one Kodi still crash on the startup. Its the only program on that machine cause I only use it for my media. Have install Kodi now for more the 12 times. Different builds. I can do everything in Kodi bit as soon I shut it down, it will never start up again, just for 2 seconds. First I thought it come of some new nodes or playlists, but even with a clear Kodi it happens. 
Its just driving me nuts. Am working on the problem for a week now.
@mvth 

Without a proper debug log posted we're at a loss, and can only speculate. Suggest that you start your own thread to bring as many eyes to the issues as possible.

Side note: multiple installs don't usually fix the problem, a Portable mode (wiki) would be my suggestion to by-pass most previous software issues, unless your issue is hardware.
Thanks for the response. At the moment its crashing on both win11 machines. I think I know what the problem is. A corrupted videofile, I think. But I can't see any strange things. It are all mkv, iso, and vob files. All of them I can play through VLC player.
(2022-03-08, 18:25)mvth Wrote: A corrupted videofile
Well of course that might do it. Suggest the portable installation as previously suggested, ensure it's functionality prior to adding video sources. Activate logging, then allow one local source (with no scraper and deny scanning) Use video file mode and play a file... works? Post log in new thread if not.

Using External players (wiki) you can bring VLC to play these files, I suspect your issue is deeper though.
Still not works. It was not a corrupted videofile. I already make portable kodi's. All with the same result. But I am one step further. When I install Kodi with the default Estuary skin and make connection with my sources everything works just fine. No problems at all. The problem starts when I install another skin like Aeon Tajo or Aeon Nox. Then after shutdown Kodi it will not start. Start screen comes for just 2 seconds and disappear. I always used that skin and never had trouble, but now in windows 11 the problems start. If I use Kodi Leia all works fine.
I have a debug log on: https://paste.kodi.tv/nimilabeda.kodi        hastebin - nimilabeda (kodi.tv)
Hope you can find the problem.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Startup Issues- Can't isolate the issue0