Win Unstable Access to SMB Shares
I have a Kodi in an Android TV box that access several shared folders in a Win 10 PC and one old Popcorn Hour. Sometimes, I can access some folders but not others (operation not permitted), and sometimes I can after a period of time or after I restart Kodi and/or the TV box and/or the PC. The weird thing is that I can access folders in the Popcorn Hour correctly, and it uses SMBv1.

There's a second Android TV box in the local network and the same problem takes place.

I already made various tweaks (enabled only the client option in SMB in the PC--I can't turn off SMBv1 bec. I won't be able to access some old devices in the local network), made sure network discovery is on and passwords for sharing disabled, added a "kodi" user in the PC and made sure the folders are shared with everyone and "kodi" in read only), and the problem persists.

I share this here because I don't think it's a problem with Kodi but with Windows, and I read that SMBv1 has been deprecated. To recap, I can sometimes access a shared folder and sometimes can't (operation not permitted). After several minutes, I might be able to access it, or if I restart Kodi, the Android TV box, or the PC. In some cases, a folder that I could access initially is no longer so. But there are situations when I can access all folders correctly.

Has anyone experienced this issue?
I also forgot to mention that I also checked the power options to make sure that the PC is running at high power and that the network card isn't being turned off by the computer.
In case anyone's interested, here's one "solution":

Install and use a free FTP server in Windows. I'm currently using Xlight.

Use a static IP address for the PC.

Create a user (e.g., "kodi," preferably with a password), then select the folders to share with only read-only permission. For the virtual folder name, make it similar to the actual name. For example,

actual folder - d:\ActionVideos
virtual folder - \ActionVideos

Add a video source in Kodi using the FTP protocol, using the IP address of the PC (e.g., 192.168.2.10) and the user name and password you set in Xlight. When you browse the source, you'll see the folders you shared.
Thread moved to Android support
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unstable Access to SMB Shares0