• 1(current)
Req Kodi on LG Web OS
The latest LG OLED TVs have got most apps the only one missing is Kodi.

I own the 65 inch C2 and the 55 inch CX OLED.
WebOS is designed for simply web apps and does not offer any hardware video decode, so it's pointless porting Kodi to it.
It's Linux based under the hood.  You are saying that all of the streaming apps are not accelerated?  I don't think so.
(2022-05-25, 23:27)rlw6534 Wrote: I don't think so.

Prove us wrong with your working-'Proof of Concept'-version of Kodi for WebOS.
(2022-05-25, 21:45)jjd-uk Wrote: WebOS is designed for simply web apps and does not offer any hardware video decode, so it's pointless porting Kodi to it.

It is truly pointless, and won't run ffmpeg if that is what you meant, but some WebOS devices have a pretty good media codec support https://webostv.developer.lge.com/discov.../webos-22/

Martin
A Team member did attempt a port, but quickly abandoned it once they realised they could only get software decode on SoC working using the open SDK. Software decode meant video playback would be limited to 1080p, so they thought it pointless to continue if they couldn't do 4K.
It just seems odd in that the Plex WebOS app, for example, works just fine at 4k and HDR, but yet Kodi can't.
Plex has the server backend that can do transcoding, so it's likely the server sends a web browser friendly format to the Plex app such as H.264. Plus the big players like Netflix, Amazon, Disney, HBO etc etc probably have access to a different SDK that they probably pay for, so are not using the open freely avaiable one.
(2022-05-26, 15:26)jjd-uk Wrote: Plex has the server backend that can do transcoding, so it's likely the server sends a web browser friendly format to the Plex app such as H.264. Plus the big players like Netflix, Amazon, Disney, HBO etc etc probably have access to a different SDK that they probably pay for, so are not using the open freely avaiable one.

I'm not seeing any transcoding, but the SDK access issue makes sense.  Maybe someday it will get looked at again...   Wink

Well the last attempt was 2018 so there's always the possibility something has changed in the meantime. But at the time the open SDK was aimed purely at webapps, and if you wanted to do media playback you were meant to hook into the internal LG HTML5 player. We did reach out to LG and were in communication with them, but at the time they were completely uninterested in doing anything to help us. So even if something has changed, I don't think anyone on the Team will be motivated to risk wasting their time in making another attempt.
Here someone did make an attempt at getting kodi working by rooting the TV and compiling kodi. The thread is obviously a bit old.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/nativ...795/page-4

Is any of this possible now? Could the sdk use hardware accelerated video?
Is anyone able to look at this? I'm a developer myself but kodi is such a huge app.

Where did you get to? Or where would I start? Perhaps I can pick something up.

How did you compile it for Web os?
@wsnipex tagging you here because it looks like you've made some strides in this area. Keen on seeing progress and helping test some builds but can't work out how to get a webos build and then install it up on my C9.
currently hardware acceleration only works on webos 5+. I think C9 is webos 4.5?
In general you need at least developer mode enabled or a rooted TV and LG CLI tools installed. Then you just install with ares-install [filename].
Some test builds are here https://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/webos/
Whoa, I can root my TV?  nice. hmm
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi on LG Web OS0