• 53(current)
Req Kodi on LG Web OS
Damn! I tested it with DTS-HD 5.1 yesterday and that seemed to work fine.
(2024-03-17, 15:20)Dr_Brooks Wrote: Damn! I tested it with DTS-HD 5.1 yesterday and that seemed to work fine.

In what way, there was no audio delay/lipsync issue? Did you test multiple videos to double-check?
I could only find one DTS 5.1 file so I could not test others. But the audio sync seemed fine.
@sundermann

Why is the size difference between the webOS version of Kodi 21 RC1 and RC2 almost 10 MB? Just asking out of pure curiosity. Does it include more binary addons than before and if so what new ones have been added? Smile
A couple of weeks ago I took the plunge and installed a nightly on my son's LG (low-end 4k model bought a couple of years ago). The process of enabling dev mode and installing Kodi was not that hard, actually it took me a longer time to fine tune it the way I liked it.

Yesterday my son asked what has happened to the Kodi application. Checking the apps it seems that the Kodi app has disappeared. Is this a known issue? Can I somehow bring the app back (I really would like to avoid re-installing and configuring from zero)?

EDIT: When Kodi reaches stable status, do you think that it will be available via the LG app store, or will it still have to be loaded via this developer-mode?
(2024-03-18, 19:33)SoulReaver Wrote: @sundermann

Why is the size difference between the webOS version of Kodi 21 RC1 and RC2 almost 10 MB? Just asking out of pure curiosity. Does it include more binary addons than before and if so what new ones have been added? Smile

inputstream.ffmpegdirect is now included
@carmik LG has a notoriously long and thorough approval process, and they often ask for revisions to fit their ridiculously strict rules. It's very likely going to take 2-3 months before it's approved on the LG webos store. Just install the "Webos dev manager" app on your computer to easily manage sideloading apps. You get 1000 hours before it gets reset, but you can use an automatic process that extends this time. The whole proces is explained in the webos dev manager app, but theoretically you can have unofficial apps sideloaded indefinitely.

I suggest you use this method to install the latest RC 2 build till the official release, but there are still serious issues with the Webos version that need fixing. (Updating apps is easy with the webos dev manager though). You will have re-configure your settings if Kodi is gone from the TV though. If your dev session timer runs out, all the sideloaded apps become unavailable and you will have to do the setup all over again iirc.
(2024-03-19, 12:35)Dr_Brooks Wrote: @carmik LG has a notoriously long and thorough approval process, and they often ask for revisions to fit their ridiculously strict rules. It's very likely going to take 2-3 months before it's approved on the LG webos store.
Just install the "Webos dev manager" app on your computer to easily manage sideloading apps. You get 1000 hours before it gets reset, but you can use an automatic process that extends this time. The whole proces is explained in the webos dev manager app, but theoretically you can have unofficial apps sideloaded indefinitely.

I suggest you use this method to install the latest RC 2 build till the official release, but there are still serious issues with the Webos version that need fixing. (Updating apps is easy with the webos dev manager though). You will have re-configure your settings if Kodi is gone from the TV though. If your dev session timer runs out, all the sideloaded apps become unavailable and you will have to do the setup all over again iirc.

@Dr_Brooks thank you for laying out the situation for me. Having Kodi available on the LG store is not an immediate goal. I'll be happy if I can just download it from the store till the end of year and get over with the dev-mode related trouble.

As for the existence of this dev timer, well, I was enither aware of that one nor of the implications of the times coming down to zero Sad At the moment I lack the courage to set things up once more, especially since I'm not certain if I can backup Kodi's configuration and restore it back (in case it goes missing again). Out of curiosity though, where are you tracking/downloading from the RC2 version?

EDIT: found it one page earlier as https://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/webos/

But in any case, hats off to the Kodi developers: this beta Kodi worked beautifully on the LG, with high quality 4k and HDR-respecting butter-smooth playback. Huge respect fellas!
Once the new version becomes available on the Kodi mirror you can find it on the webos dev manager app as well. You can simply press update and it will do it for you. I know it sucks that you have to re-configure everything, but once you have it setup correctly there should be no issues anymore. I've had my current dev session going for 6 months without issue.
Read the first 5 plus the last 5 pages of this thread and read the wiki entry at https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Kodi_for_webOS as well, but I found no reference on how to avoid the devmode timer from resetting. Since we're at RC2 right now there might be no need to explain how it can be done to LG Kodi newcomers like me. OTOH, since it will take time for the app to appear in the official store, perhaps someone could take the plunge and enrich the wiki article with details like that (ie how to avoid devmode timer reset etc)?

Alternatively, if you have some links, I could try to do this myself.
The webos dev manager app will guide you through the process when you add a new device. It's super convenient, that's how I learned it as well. I don't know any links I can share that explain the process. So just download it on the link below and setup your device.

You can download the app here: https://github.com/webosbrew/dev-manager-desktop
I've used it already as per the wiki pages to install Kodi once Smile My comment above was regarding how to do things in order to avoid the counter from expiring. Do you SSH to the tv? Or use this devmode app?

I should add that my son lives in a house of his own, so there's not someone around constantly to be able to pull some quick commands via SSH or other means.

(note: I'm feeling that I'm abusing this thread though with questions not directly related to the actual development (compiling/testing/issue reporting) cycle. If I am, please let me know and I'll start a new thread Smile )
Once you have added your TV to the webos dev manager, go the the info tab and press "renew automatically". A popup will appear, go to the IFTTT applet categorie. Everything will be explained there step by step. It seems IFTTT changed their pricing policy the past months though, I'm currently looking for other free alternatives. Basically, as long as it does a call to the dev link within the 1000 hour, the timer will reset and all apps stay on the device.
(2024-03-19, 12:34)wsnipex Wrote:

Apologies if it's a stupid question but does this help with the audio sync issue? It's installed for me but I still have the problem, and I've seen someone mention this addon on the github page but I didn't understand the set up process they outlined. Does it require any user-side tweaking or is the audio sync issue still at large?
(2024-03-19, 12:34)wsnipex Wrote:

Nice! Thanks for the info Smile
  • 53(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi on LG Web OS0