Strange changelog page (KODI)
Hi,

I was just about to update KODI 19 on my QNAP, but wanted to see the changelog first. To do this opened this page: https://www.qnapclub.eu/en/qpkg/releasenotes/874

Is it normal that the Changelos is, shall we say, so "clear"? In other words, there are no changes listed at all.

Cu
No idea as those builds are not official.
Well, unfortunately there is no "official" way to install KODI on a QNAP NAS. For that you have to specify this source.
If you want the official summary then look at the official website at https://kodi.tv/blog/tag/release

But as those builds are not by us there's no guarantee they'll be exactly the same.
Why was KODI actually removed from QNAP back then? I really don't understand that.
We have never done builds for Qnap
When I bought the QNAP many years ago, KODI was officially downloadable from their QNAP App Store. At some point it was removed.
It most certainly wasn't put there by us.
What do you recommend to use KODI optimally on a NAS? So QNAP obviously not?
(2022-07-24, 16:08)dajana.s Wrote: I was just about to update KODI 19 on my QNAP, but wanted to see the changelog first.
So what did you do with all previous Kodi releases, were there any changelogs then?

(2022-07-27, 23:29)dajana.s Wrote: What do you recommend to use KODI optimally on a NAS? So QNAP obviously not?
I wouldn't use Kodi on/from a NAS at all. A NAS usually produces at least some noise already which is not acceptable to me next to a TV setup. My 'NAS' setup is 2 rooms away from where the TV resides, and I use a separate fanless/quiet HTPC for running Kodi. I also once used a long HDMI cable at some point to also have the HTPC next to the NAS, which works when using CEC, but it's awkward when I want to go internet browsing. IMHO, a NAS should do what it is originally intended for, which is serving files over a network as well as other computer network services.
@Klojum I changed from KODI 17 (I think it was version 17) to 19. I didn't look at a changelog, that would have been too extensive for me. But within KODI 19 individual changelogs of the small updates would have been helpful to see if the effort for the smaller update is worth it.

Regarding the use of a NAS: Your opinion only. I didn't ask if you like a NAS for using KODI, I didn't ask for that opinion. A NAS is now much more than just a hard drive connected to the network with small services. I use a NAS also for KODI already for many many years without problems. The NAS is even located directly near the AV receiver. Works flawlessly and quietly.
(2022-07-27, 23:29)dajana.s Wrote: What do you recommend to use KODI optimally on a NAS? So QNAP obviously not?
(2022-08-02, 13:18)dajana.s Wrote: Regarding the use of a NAS: Your opinion only. I didn't ask if you like a NAS for using KODI, I didn't ask for that opinion.

You asked for my opinion, and I gave it to you. If you didn't like the opinion, that's another matter altogether.
True, thanks for your opinion!
(2022-08-03, 13:00)dajana.s Wrote: True, thanks for your opinion!

With regards to NAS systems and Kodi, there are a couple of primary approaches.  First, run some type of media streaming server on the QNAP NAS.  I believe Plex is capable of this but I've never used it.  I don't believe there are very many media streaming servers which run natively on QNAP.  The other option is to run Kodi on some other device and use SMB / similar folder mapping for Kodi to access the files.  I believe this approach is used quite commonly and is what Klojum described. 

A variation of these options is to run a media streaming server on a device and have it map to the QNAP media.  Then have clients connect to the media server.  This option may be preferable in situations where Plex or similar is not desirable, the media server imposes too much of a load on the NAS (NAS devices often are under-powered for certain functions) or there are multiple clients wanting to access the media which may pose too much load.   This type of  solution is what I run for various reasons including 8+ Kodi and non-Kodi clients, web interface, superb performance and minimal maintenance. 

For a more complete listing of media sharing solutions you can view the Kodi Wiki page.

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Strange changelog page (KODI)0