Launching the Skip 1s Universal remote by Flirc
I think the screen is essential for advanced use - the sort of functions I am talking about (change Audio language, download subs, various amp things) - really need labels.  No way colours will cut it.  I do agree though - the 650 could lose the colours, and even the numbers, which I never use.  But your colour wheel thing definitely wouldn't work for me.  I mean - over time there's no

You may well be right for others, indeed probably are, of course - just in my case I definitely want a label system, and I need maybe 12 to 20 of those, depending on the installation (I have three I used regularly, some with amp, some without...all need several labelled things for Kodi, but in some case a few advanced TV and Amp features too).

I get most people don't go to those lengths, although on the flip side, Harmony (and others) built a business a lot based on supporting those sorts of advanced things.  So both markets do exist.  And here you feel caught between in a way - you have the programmability of the Harmony (and your software looks much better, and no phone home is *great*) - but not yet really the flexibility and ease of use that comes from the screen.  But certainly a flying start and I wish you folks much success!
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
I pre-ordered a while back, looking forward to getting it and setting up. I refer to my home as the place that remotes come to die, so I will be putting it through its paces. Smile
(2022-09-09, 23:54)natethomas Wrote: Biggest problem with the 650 is the absurd number of buttons on it. It looks like an AV receiver remote with a screen. A major goal of the Skip 1s is to present something a little simpler and cleaner. Instead of a screen, we're going with a programmable color wheel that typically acts as a direction pad, but when the color button is hit adds four more keys. I could be wrong, but my guess is most people rarely, if ever, look at those screens. They memorize the button associated and press without looking down. Same concept here. Combine that functionality with a drag and drop app that let's you assign any button anywhere, and hopefully this covers the vast majority of use cases.

Have pre-ordered to see how I like it - but one point I would make is that many devices in Europe need RGBY coloured buttons for basic functionality - as they are a standard way of using interactive applications, digital text/teletext, or quickly accessing catch-up etc. VOD services - on Satellite, Cable and OTA set-top boxes.  Not having them as separate buttons is a bit of a pain (as you will be flipping in and out of colour / direction mode all the time to use these applications which use UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT/ENTER and RED/GREEN/BLUE/YELLOW at the same time for navigation), and also means you won't have 4 spare buttons for use on those devices.
(2022-10-12, 11:16)noggin Wrote: Have pre-ordered to see how I like it - but one point I would make is that many devices in Europe need RGBY coloured buttons for basic functionality - as they are a standard way of using interactive applications, digital text/teletext, or quickly accessing catch-up etc. VOD services - on Satellite, Cable and OTA set-top boxes.  Not having them as separate buttons is a bit of a pain (as you will be flipping in and out of colour / direction mode all the time to use these applications which use UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT/ENTER and RED/GREEN/BLUE/YELLOW at the same time for navigation), and also means you won't have 4 spare buttons for use on those devices.

Agreed, hopefully the colour wheel function can be turned off so they can be used as standard colour keys as found on STB/TV remotes, as being able to the colour keys directly is essential.
Shame linux support is only planned. Wanted to pre-order one but won't until that happens, "planned linux support" doesn't exactly have a high-degree of actually happening for KS projects.
(2022-07-25, 20:39)natethomas Wrote: Goal is to replace the now defunct Harmony remotes out there.

This sounds like music to my ears. I'll gather info and ask questions if I have them.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
(2022-09-10, 00:35)jbinkley60 Wrote: I still have the standalone software but haven't tried it for some time.

Curious about this. Standalone still needs to connect to the internet for codes, etc. am I right?

Edit: it all sounds great but I agree with people saying that a screen is a necessity for complex setups (like mine, unfortunately). Also agree on the need of having the four colored buttons that are needed for many functions in Europe. Plus, no way that three activities are enough for me.

All in all, I wish this a great success, because I want to see further, more advanced products in the line. It's actually the first project that makes me optimistic for an "after Harmony" future (I have two remotes, brand new, in storage, for the time being).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
(2022-11-25, 02:13)ashlar Wrote:
(2022-09-10, 00:35)jbinkley60 Wrote: I still have the standalone software but haven't tried it for some time.

Curious about this. Standalone still needs to connect to the internet for codes, etc. am I right?

Edit: it all sounds great but I agree with people saying that a screen is a necessity for complex setups (like mine, unfotunately). Also agree on the need of having the four colored buttons that are needed for many functions in Europe. Plus, no way that three activities are enough for me.

All in all, I wish this a great success, because I want to see further, more advanced products in the line. It's actually the first project that makes me optimist for an "after Harmony" future (I have two remotes, brand new, in storage, for the time being).

Yes - I'm backing it even though it won't be a daily driver.  Separate RGBY and D-Pad controls are a must for all the main UK broadcast TV platforms.
Does anybody know if this new remote would work with the Nvidia Shield (2017 model).
On the FAQs there is no mention of Android as a supported OS, but a couple of posts I've seen on reddit seems to suggest that this remote would work on the Shield. I'm presuming I might also need to purchase the Flirc USB as well?

I've never been a fan of the minimalistic look and feel of the Shield remote, so was hoping that something like this would act as a good replacement.
I maybe mistaken, but I don't think there's an IR receiver on the Shield, since the remote uses Bluetooth. If so then Skip 1s won't work as it's IR only.

It's a shame the Skip 1s doesn't have Bluetooth, as without it can't fully replace a Harmony Hub. Hopefully there'll be Version 2 with Bluetooth.
Nice remote with a nice concept. I could not find out if the remote buttons are illuminated. Does anybody know?
Sorry, found the answer: No backlite. 

That means that this remote is definitly not for me.
Damn. That is a shame.
I upgraded from the original Shield remote to the newer styled one when the 2019 model was released but would still much prefer a more traditional style. Like you said, hopefully future releases of this device might offer a solution.
(2022-11-28, 21:50)jjd-uk Wrote: I maybe mistaken, but I don't think there's an IR receiver on the Shield, since the remote uses Bluetooth. If so then Skip 1s won't work as it's IR only.

It's a shame the Skip 1s doesn't have Bluetooth, as without it can't fully replace a Harmony Hub. Hopefully there'll be Version 2 with Bluetooth.

AIUI the early (2015 and earlier) Shield TVs had IR receivers (though there wasn't an nVidia IR remote), the later (2017) models didn't.

***EDIT - nVidia site confirms this ***
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/...%282015%29
(2022-11-28, 21:03)Dumyat Wrote: Does anybody know if this new remote would work with the Nvidia Shield (2017 model).
On the FAQs there is no mention of Android as a supported OS, but a couple of posts I've seen on reddit seems to suggest that this remote would work on the Shield. I'm presuming I might also need to purchase the Flirc USB as well?

I've never been a fan of the minimalistic look and feel of the Shield remote, so was hoping that something like this would act as a good replacement.

This is correct. The Flirc USB actually has a profile specifically set up for Nvidia Shields that people have been using with their harmony remotes for a long time. Using that with a Skip 1s should eventually be a matter of a few clicks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Launching the Skip 1s Universal remote by Flirc0