Incorrect aspect ratio
Hi. I'm new here and I might just need to find a setting to change - somewhere. I'm in Aus and the SDTV channels that are broadcast in H264 are stuck in 4:3 ratio. I'm using Kodi 19.3 with NextPVR Windows backend with an Avermedia USB tuner. Clients are Kodi on an Andoroid box and Chromecast.

When I select a H264 channel it does not show the aspect ratio in the bottom RHS of the screen and defaults to 4:3. The other channels that work in 16:9 have a box showing the aspect ratio as 1.78:1 in the OSD - I guess this is transmitted by the TV stations? Is there a way to force the H264 transmissions into 16:9?

It's all working super well apart from this, and I acknowledge it's probably the TV stations causing the problem - it's a common problem across all broadcasters. I can fix it by going into video settings but it defaults back to 4:3 every time Kodi is power cycled.

Thanks, David
Do recordings have the same problem?  Ultimately there's not much point looking until you upgrade to the current version of Kodi.

Martin
(2022-07-28, 02:08)damcc1 Wrote: I'm in Aus and the SDTV channels that are broadcast in H264 are stuck in 4:3 ratio.

When some channels work fine, and others are a problem... I'd say Kodi works okay in principle, but also that h264 itself doesn't have much to do with it.
SDTV already is suggesting a lower resolution where 4:3 broadcasts are possible. But I assume the broadcast is still meant as 16:9, and with the 4:3 ratio the video itself looks skewed in some way?

Does the zoom setting in Kodi (press the 'z' key on your keyboard a few times) do anything?
Hi Martin. Yes. I think it is a playback problem
Klojum, yes its the entire broadcast that is compressed, it is native 16:9 squashed into a 4:3 box. My gut feeling is that the broadcaster is not sending the 1.78:1 in the transmission header/message for H264. I will try to figure out how to post a screenshot.
(2022-07-28, 03:28)damcc1 Wrote: My gut feeling is that the broadcaster is not sending the 1.78:1 in the transmission header/message for H264. I will try to figure out how to post a screenshot.
Which channels?
I am in Australia also, and have not come across this issue.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Hi Karallen. I'm in rural Victoria, so they are the affiliates Prime, SouthernCross and WIN. It also happens on the new SBS channel 35, which is H264. I've noticed that the channels that are HD and H264, have the correct aspect ratio, and yet they do not display 1.78:1, so there must be some difference between the SD and HD settings....somewhere
Kodi debug logs should be able to show us what is going on.  Best to do it with a recording though and not live TV.

Martin
(2022-07-28, 05:17)damcc1 Wrote: It also happens on the new SBS channel 35
Thanks for that, I did not realise a new channel was released.

I've added it to my lineup, and it displays correctly for me. @emveepee, who is a NextPVR developer will most likely need some logs off you.

My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Thanks Martin. Give me a day or so to try to figure out how to do that Smile
https://paste.kodi.tv/zehacarefe

Hi Martin

Hopefully I've done this right. I started the debug then played an earlier recording with the aspect ratio issue for about 10 minutes.

Thanks
Do you mind placing that file (I think it is only 4 minutes) on cloud storage (Google Drive OneDrive, DropBox etc) and sending a link?  It looks like it is detecting 4:3

Martin.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1...sp=sharing
Thanks for the sample I see the same issue on Kodi for Android and I tried a couple of devices and Kodi versions.   On one Android device I can dual boot CoreElec and it is OK in CE on another with Android and LE same thing.  The uidroid Android client for NextPVR plays it fine too.

It is not PVR or NextPVR because that file does have the same problem in the Video Library and the thumb does show as 16:9.  You might have more luck in the Android support sub-forum. This could also require that you open a github issue.

Martin
Thanks for your time and effort with this Martin. You've narrowed it down - both my devices are Android. I'll check in on the other forum.

Cheers

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Incorrect aspect ratio0