Shield/mac kodi setup over 100TB?
I just talked to someone with a shield pro kodi setup and they loved it…till they hit around 100 gb and upgraded to a Mac mini due to the large library being a strain.

He just got an m1 I think, anyone have an idea, if one’s library loading starts to struggle, any idea what power one should Look at ? Like is a m1 over kill or just right? I ordered a shield pro however I have an older Mac mini 2014, I assume that might struggle. Just thinking ahead any idea the ram/ processor power needed for a large 100gb hd/4k library?

i know it’s probably just a matter of guessing but if anyone has delt with it, it will be helpful for me to plan ahead, once I’m done creating my new setup I think my library will probably be about 60gb.

hope everyone is staying safe and healthy
2019 Shield Pro running fine here with a small-medium sized library (33.5TB, 2002 movies, 741 TV series). Media is on NAS running a 1.6GHz Celeron with 16GB RAM (< 2GB in use right now).

No need to spend extra for RAM / processor. Save the money for HDD storage. Wink
(2022-08-23, 22:34)Jman5150 Wrote: till they hit around 100 gb

... 100 GB of what? 100 GB can 2-3 bluray movies, or 50,000 small video or music entries. I take it it'll be the latter, but some details need to be known here.
Sorry meant 100tb. So 100TB of movies he found the movie wall was starting to struggle using a shield pro.

Would have responded sooner but fell ill and just got back to things.

Basically just concerned how large a library shield can handle before one needs to get an htpc and, if known, how much power needed for that htpc.
On another thought. Will shield play 3d mkv files (3d file extracted then merged like one does to play it on oppo 203 usb drive) through kodi?

To my surprise i couldnt find confirmation of this anywhere. I found one reference to emby however the user had issues but that was it.
(2022-09-16, 16:49)Jman5150 Wrote: On another thought. Will shield play 3d mkv files (3d file extracted then merged like one does to play it on oppo 203 usb drive) through kodi?

To my surprise i couldnt find confirmation of this anywhere. I found one reference to emby however the user had issues but that was it.

I don't believe the Shield TV has any support for 3D other than  the SBS and TAB stuff that any 2D player can play and that is contained in a regular 1920x1080 or 1280x720 frame - and you'd have to manually switch 3D viewing modes on your display (i.e. it has no real 3D functionality)

There is no MVC decode (as used by 3D Blu-rays), nor is there support for 24p frame packed 3D output over HDMI AFAIK.
(2022-09-16, 16:41)Jman5150 Wrote: Sorry meant 100tb. So 100TB of movies he found the movie wall was starting to struggle using a shield pro.

Would have responded sooner but fell ill and just got back to things.

Basically just concerned how large a library shield can handle before one needs to get an htpc and, if known, how much power needed for that htpc.

As was mentioned above, the size of the library itself isn't as much of an issue as it the number of items in the library.  My library is over 300TB that is slightly more than 17,000 items and have no problem running with the Kodi database on Raspberry Pis, Vero 4K+ units and similar.  It's when you get very large numbers of items in your library is where you might start to see slowness due to storage access times, memory and CPU usage.  It can also be a question of how many other addons and type that could play a part if things start to get slow (as well as the skin you run).  Some skins consume a lot more resources than others.

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Shield/mac kodi setup over 100TB?0