Sluggish video and no sound from soundbar (Raspberry Pi OS no desktop environment)
I have a Raspberry 4B (4GB) with Raspberry Pi OS 64bit (without desktop environment). Yes, I know exist solutions like Libreelec but for my project I need to use Raspberry Pi OS.
At the time of writing, I updated the system (apt update) and installed Kodi (apt install kodi).

Kodi is started from the bare terminal (so, again, not from any desktop environment) by just giving 'kodi'.

However, I have two issues:
  1. Video playback freezes after around 5-10 seconds with whatever video file I reproduce (h264 or mpeg4 container and any type of file extension like .mkv, .mp4 or .avi). Kodi continues to work fine, so I can go back in Kodi menu and stop the video reproduction. Therefore, it is just any video reproduction that shows the issue.
  2. There is no audio (not from the Kodi gui or from video reproduction (the first 5-10 seconds). Raspberry Pi is connected to the Samsung TV via hdmi (the hdmi out next to the power is used). Sonos soundbar is connected to the TV via hdmi (eARC).

I know Kodi would work (both video reproduction and audio through the soundbar) because I have another SD with Batocera which comes with Kodi installed and everything works perfectly there.

Code:
uname -a
Linux 5.15.56-v8+ #1575 SMP PREEMPT Fri Jul 22 20:31:26 BST 2022 aarch64 GNU/Linux

kodi.log
/boot/config.txt
The two issues are the same. A broken audio device typically results in video stalling after a few seconds.

Does audio work from any other application? (e.g. aplay?)
What does "aplay -l" report?

If you have a spare sdcard, installing latest RPiOS image and kodi would be informative.
That should work out of the box, and if it doesn't then there's something suspicious about the audio support of your hardware.
If it works, then you have some local settings that breaks it.
Just to follow up for anyone who finds this in a search -the question was also asked here
The system reported no valid sound cards, and a reinstall didn't have the issue.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sluggish video and no sound from soundbar (Raspberry Pi OS no desktop environment)0