tvOS Apple TV 4K 2022
I would buy an ATV in a heartbeat if I could install Kodi simply from the store.
(2022-11-16, 01:48)Glorious1 Wrote: Can I just ask a question about installing regular Kodi on Apple TV 4k?  People who do it are either reinstalling every 7 days or getting a paid $99 developer account?  That is my understanding from the installation wiki - am I right?

That's my understanding. Otherwise they are running the Kodi fork, MrMC, which has none of the problematic add-on stuff that would have stopped App Store approval. (App Store rules have changed - but I'm not sure if they have changed enough to allow regular Kodi to be an official App)
(2022-11-15, 23:45)hdmkv Wrote: Is DV or HDR10+ supported via MrMC?

Which of the myriad DV profiles do you mean?  I don't think HDR10+ is supported by MrMC as it was only added to the ATV4K in the 2022 refresh, and MrMC development has stalled since Covid.
and afaik only DV layer 5 is supported on Apple tv 4k. That's mean DV on streaming but not on file/mkv, regardless of MrMC/Infusion..
DV files will be player in HDR (don't know in MRMC, but HDR in Infuse)

BHH
HDConvertToX, AutoMKV, AutoMen author
I meant DV profiles 5 and 8. Thanks. nVidia Shield is still hard to beat.
Is anyone using KodiTVBox ? That way you will get Kodi for ATV for 25$ / year. Is basic HDR10 and basic Dolby Atmos passthrough(via DD+) working ?
(2022-11-16, 20:43)hdmkv Wrote: I meant DV profiles 5 and 8. Thanks. nVidia Shield is still hard to beat.

It's still sub-par for Netflix, Prime Video, Disney Plus and Apple TV Plus due to the lack of app-driven frame rate switching - which should deliver intelligent automatic frame rate switching on main feature content (but avoids the annoyance it can cause on auto-play trails).  Last time I checked you still had to press a button to trigger the Shield TV to try to detect the frame rate of the playing media and then switch.  For those of us who watch 24, 25, 50 and 60Hz content frame rate switching is kind of vital.

The ATV 4K is my daily driver for DRM streaming - though the lack of Kodi and HD Audio passthrough are sticking points for Kodi (hence I have a CoreElec box and a Pi 4B available too at the moment).  My Shield TV is in storage.
That is exactly what I am considering - Apple TV 4K 2022 for apps and streaming services (netflix, disney+, hbo max, spotify, F1TV, youtube, twitch...) and keep Shield just for Kodi or replace it with Coreelec/Libreelec. ATV experience seems much modern, UI is smoother, proper fame rate auto switching. HD audio passthrough is nice, but frankly I don't remember last time I used it. Bluray is dying, very few new movies/shows on BR or they are released so late. Maverick for example, August on VOD, November on Bluray...
(2022-11-17, 11:40)jarosujo Wrote: That is exactly what I am considering - Apple TV 4K 2022 for apps and streaming services (netflix, disney+, hbo max, spotify, F1TV, youtube, twitch...) and keep Shield just for Kodi or replace it with Coreelec/Libreelec. ATV experience seems much modern, UI is smoother, proper fame rate auto switching. HD audio passthrough is nice, but frankly I don't remember last time I used it. Bluray is dying, very few new movies/shows on BR or they are released so late. Maverick for example, August on VOD, November on Bluray...

True about BD/UHD BD releases - they've kept to their original delays, but VOD services are getting releases far closer to cinema release dates (for Amazon/Netflix movies that get cinema releases they are often co-timed).  However the quality of a UHD BD over a low-bitrate streaming DRM service is still worth the wait IMO.
(2022-11-18, 11:25)noggin Wrote:
(2022-11-17, 11:40)jarosujo Wrote:  

However the quality of a UHD BD over a low-bitrate streaming DRM service is still worth the wait IMO.

Just out of curiosity, what do you consider as low-bitrate streaming? Do HBO_Max 30Mbit/s streams fit into this category?
(2022-11-18, 21:16)Sholander Wrote:
(2022-11-18, 11:25)noggin Wrote:
(2022-11-17, 11:40)jarosujo Wrote:  

However the quality of a UHD BD over a low-bitrate streaming DRM service is still worth the wait IMO.

Just out of curiosity, what do you consider as low-bitrate streaming? Do HBO_Max 30Mbit/s streams fit into this category?
I don't really differentiate between streaming and pre-recorded media in bitrate terms - though I'd expect real-time live services to use a higher bitrate because they can't optimise in the same way.

For high quality 2160p23.976 UHD HDR content I'd expect 4:2:0 10-bit h265 averaging 50Mbs or higher for the video content (unless it's undemanding content that compresses well), and audio would be around 4-6Mbs in one of the lossless codecs ?

30Mbs sounds pretty decent for online streaming 2160p23.976 - though for 2160p59.94/50 content encoded in real-time I'd expect artefacts to be visible at that bitrate?
I have bought ATV 4K 2022 and tested it with KTB and it works great. 4K movies and series with Kodi addon and dolby atmos
(2022-11-17, 10:02)jarosujo Wrote: Is anyone using KodiTVBox ? That way you will get Kodi for ATV for 25$ / year. Is basic HDR10 and basic Dolby Atmos passthrough(via DD+) working ?

I have bought ATV 4K 2022 and tested it with KTB and it works great. 4K movies and series with Kodi addon and dolby atmos
For what it's worth, while normal usage is relatively quick, I've been experiencing excruciating lag when gaming on my A15 Apple TV. Some games are simply unplayable due to extremely low frame rates and input lag. (To name a few, The Pathless and Gear.Club-Stradale.) It appears that the new Apple TV has no active cooling fan (or vents of any kind, for that matter). Could that be harming thermals when gaming?
So I got new Apple TV 128GB... oh man... that is one amazing small box. It works so nice, smooth, modern interface, fast... For me Kodi is just one of apps, I use also Youtube, Netflix, Disney+, AppleTV, Twitch, F1TV Pro... Refresh rate switching works like charm with all of these apps. You really have to try it to understand... this is how modern media box should work in 2022. I still keep my Shield 2019 Pro connected to AVR, but just for pure Kodi experience (HD audio passthrough for bluray content). I managed to install Kodi on ATV, it works even faster than on Shield, but obviously no audio passthrough and no HDR. I really hope at least HDR10 will be added one day, that would be great :-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple TV 4K 20220