Original title (english title) not getting scraped into NFO file
Hi Dancooper

there seems to be a bug or problem encountered recently..

When scraping, Original title (english title) of a foreign language movie, the english title is not getting scraped into nfo file tag <originaltitle>
if folder is already renamed in the foreign language title

Originally a movie e.g. The Mission (1999) (also same folder name) after scraping in ember, it got renamed as Cheung foh (1999)
for some unknown reason.

I checked the modules - renamer setting, it was set as $T {($Y)} $V
So I changed the setting to $O {($Y)} $V.

I click scrape movies > ALL > Automatic > NFO only, 

The problem is I noticed my movie folder is still named as Cheung foh (1999)
and NFO file is now filling tag as this 

<title>Cheung foh</title>
<originaltitle>Cheung foh</originaltitle>

So it is now no longer adding the English titles into the tag (<originaltitle> or <title>) so that the folder gets renamed in English title.
And yes this movie does  have an english title on IMDB and TMDB
i.e. The Mission (1999)

This is just one example of what has happened to my entire foreign language movies catalog,
which is very annoying to fix now since all the movies folders are now not in their English title.

Please help solve this problem or implement a fix in the program update.
The renamer only uses values from the database. So the renamer can't be the issue in this case.

The original title is not the same as the english title for a movie.
The orginal title on TMDb is 鎗火 and I'm pretty sure that's not what you want as original title or file/folder name.
The result on IMDb depends very much on the IP/country the website is called from. They don't have an official and free API and the website and result changes often. If I go the page https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0220644/reference the title is "Cheung foh":

If I go to the "Release Info/AKA" page https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0220644/releaseinfo#akas the original title is also "Cheung foh":

As you can see there is no good way to get proper results from IMDb.
(2022-12-20, 11:46)DanCooper Wrote: The renamer only uses values from the database. So the renamer can't be the issue in this case.
Yeah not sure what to make of this.

(2022-12-20, 11:46)DanCooper Wrote: The original title is not the same as the english title for a movie.
The orginal title on TMDb is 鎗火 and I'm pretty sure that's not what you want as original title or file/folder name.

Correct,  I want the folder to be renamed in English title The Mission (1999) not in chinese characters or as some english pronunciation of the chinese characters ie Cheung foh (1999)
If you go to the main page of IMDB or TMDB of that movie it shows the english title

https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/45871-cheung-fo
(2022-12-20, 11:46)DanCooper Wrote: The result on IMDb depends very much on the IP/country the website is called from. They don't have an official and free API and the website and result changes often. If I go the page https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0220644/reference the title is "Cheung foh":

If you go to the main site 
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0220644/
then it shows english title = The Mission

The AKA title also has world wide english title and USA title, why not use that, instead of relying on anything to do with IP/country the website is called from?
(2022-12-20, 11:46)DanCooper Wrote: As you can see there is no good way to get proper results from IMDb.
Maybe as a suggestion to an update to the program scraping procedure.

How about just using the World-wide (English title) or USA title for <Title> tag (see image below) if using IMDB scraper?

OR using translated english title if using TMDB

Anyway we need a proper solution to this problem (please look into what can be done) because there are many people with lots of foreign language movies
and we don't want ember to rename all those English titles folders names into non English titles which is very annoying and time consuming to fix back.

This is a very big problem with regards to foreign language movies scraping since ember will wreck/rename our entire movie catalog English title folder names into non english title.

All my foreign movies are now in non english titles now after I did a scrape with Ember, when previously it was in English titles.
This is not good.

Please find a solution to this problem or implement the one I suggested

IMDB scraper = use the World-wide (English title) or USA title for <Title> tag
OR if using
TMDB scraper = use translated english title for <title> tag
(2022-12-20, 13:58)madmax2 Wrote: Correct,  I want the folder to be renamed in English title The Mission (1999) not in chinese characters or as some english pronunciation of the chinese characters ie Cheung foh (1999)
If you go to the main page of IMDB or TMDB of that movie it shows the english title
That means you don't even want the original title, you want the translated title...
Sorry, but a translated title is not the original title if the original title is a chinese one!

(2022-12-20, 13:58)madmax2 Wrote: If you go to the main site 
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0220644/
then it shows english title = The Mission
If I go to the website it's a german title and if I manually change the language back to US the title changes to "The Mission" but the original title is still (wrongly) "Chueng foh":

(2022-12-20, 13:58)madmax2 Wrote: The AKA title also has world wide english title and USA title, why not use that, instead of relying on anything to do with IP/country the website is called from?
IMDb desides how the result looks depending on your IP, not Ember. And the word wide title is still not necessarily the orginal title...
Also a word wide title is not always available on IMDb aswell as any other country/language depended title.

(2022-12-20, 13:58)madmax2 Wrote: Media center master creates a movie.xml file with these tag, so it renames the folder the same name
You can use this XML with the "correct" original title if you change the file name to the same that Ember uses or if you cange the file name in Ember to read the XML from Media Center Master and lock the field "Original Title" in the settings to prevent changes on this field if it has a value.

(2022-12-20, 13:58)madmax2 Wrote: Anyway we need a proper solution to this problem (please look into what can be done) because there are many people with lots of foreign language movies
and we don't want ember to rename all those English titles folders names into non English titles which is very annoying and time consuming to fix back.
I'm pretty shure that a chinese user is very happy with a correct chinese original title.

(2022-12-20, 13:58)madmax2 Wrote: This is a very big problem with regards to foreign language movies scraping since ember will wreck/rename our entire movie catalog English title folder names into non english title.
If this is a new "phenomenon" than IMDb has changed someting. The last release of Ember is more than a year old.

(2022-12-20, 13:58)madmax2 Wrote: Please find a solution to this problem or implement the one I suggested
IMDB scraper = using the World-wide (English title) or USA title for <Title> tag
OR if using
TMDB scraper = using translated english title for <title> tag
So, you want a new feature that allows to use a translated title as original title? So a feature request and no bug fixing? You can post it on Github and I will track any progress I've done: Link

(2022-12-20, 13:58)madmax2 Wrote: and release an update as soon as possible to fix this problem.
I will try. But if I'm to slow for you, Ember is open source and you can add this new feature by yourself.
(2022-12-20, 20:03)DanCooper Wrote: That means you don't even want the original title, you want the translated title...
Sorry, but a translated title is not the original title if the original title is a chinese one!

Okay I just got confused about the difference between <title> and <original title>.

What I want is the movie folder to be renamed as the english title that the movie is known as world wide when it got released in english speaking countries.
It is also the english title that is shown the on main IMDB page of that movie.

I don't want the movie folder to be renamed based on the original title which is in chinese font (鎗火) or spelled as the english pronunciation of the chinese word (Cheung foh)
I want the movie folder to be renamed as The Mission, which is what the movie is known as world wide as the english title, heung foh is not the english title known world wide.

The way the scraper is currently filling the <title> and <originaltitle> tag is incorrect or it is a potential bug, you can test this yourself, I will explain further below.

You can test this bug/problem yourself.

Steps 
1. Name a movie folder Cheung foh (1999)
2. Click scrape movies button > ALL > automatic > NFO only

You will see in the NFO , both tags are populated with the same title.

<title> Cheung foh</title>
originaltitle> Cheung foh </originaltitle>

3. If you clean database, clear caches
delete the NFO file, and rename the folder back to the The Mission (1999)
then Click update library, click scrape movies button > ALL > automatic > NFO only
you may be lucky or not and the nfo now is filled as this

<title>The Mission</title>
<originaltitle>鎗火</originaltitle>

note: the reason I say lucky is because it sometimes fills the tag correctly and sometimes keeping fill the tag is Cheung foh

So it seems like when the folder is already named as Cheung foh
the tags <title>, <originaltitle> will only get filled as Cheung foh

but if the folder was in english The Mission (1999) then if you are lucky then 
ember may filled the tags as 

This is the correct way the scraper should be filling the nfo, so that the renamer module can rename it into English title based on this setting $T {($Y)} $V

For some unknown reason, the original movie folder "The mission" got scraped by ember and renamed as "Cheung foh" instead of "The Mission"
and once the scraper rename the folder as "Cheung foh" , the scraper will no longer scrape the data properly like example 2 and will just keeping filling both tags as "Cheung foh"

example 2

So there is actually two bugs,
-the first bug is, why when scraping despite having the correct English title in the folder name, it scrapes the movies and decides to renamed it as Cheung foh (non english title) rather than English title (The Mission).
-the second bug is, once it is named like this, it would no longer scraped the data correctly like mentioned above in (example 2) so that it can renamed as the English title
and will keep filling both tags as Cheung foh etc. no matter how many times you re scrape the nfo file only.

(2022-12-20, 20:03)DanCooper Wrote: You can use this XML with the "correct" original title if you change the file name to the same that Ember uses or if you cange the file name in Ember to read the XML from Media Center Master and lock the field "Original Title" in the settings to prevent changes on this field if it has a value.

Not sure how to do this "or if you change the file name in Ember to read the XML from Media Center Master"
please post a screenshot.

(2022-12-20, 20:03)DanCooper Wrote: I'm pretty shure that a chinese user is very happy with a correct chinese original title.

Well I doubt a chinese user would be happy to have their movie folder be name as  Cheung foh (1999)
instead of in the proper chinese font = 鎗火 (1999)

And what about all the users who wanted their foreign language movies to be in English title or don't understand that language?
There needs to be a setting or option for them too.
I don't think they would be happy that their entire foreign movie collection is now essentially unreadable.

Right now my entire foreign movies (which was originally in English) is now meaningless/incomprehensible cos it is written in non english words
and It will be a lot of work to manually rename all the movies titles back into English titles, unless ember can scrape the data properly again and automatically rename it back into english.

(2022-12-20, 20:03)DanCooper Wrote: If this is a new "phenomenon" than IMDb has changed someting. The last release of Ember is more than a year old.

no idea... if anything has changed.

All I know is when I was scraping ember to update my NFO files, 
ember decided to rename all my foreign movies folders which originally had English title into Non english title (ie english spelling pronunciation of those movies original title e.g. Cheung foh etc)

(2022-12-20, 20:03)DanCooper Wrote: So, you want a new feature that allows to use a translated title as original title? So a feature request and no bug fixing? You can post it on Github and I will track any progress I've done: Lin

No I don't want a new feature that allows translated title as original title.
Please ignore the screenshot of the TMDB translate title, it was a misunderstanding on my part about original title, title and translated title.

The only thing I want is ember to scrape the data properly so that for foreign movies the nfo has

<title> tag contain the proper English title the movie is known as worldwide or when it was release in English speaking countries (if there is an English title) e.g The mission,
not some english spelling pronunciation of the original title e.g. Cheung foh (which is meaningless to people that don't understand what it means).

<originaltitle> tag contains the original title when released in that country of origin which may be in chinese font, or however that country spells the words etc.

If ember can do this, then the renamer module should rename the movie folder into the english title based on the setting = $T {($Y)} $V

Hope that clears things up.

As explain in the steps on how to reproduce this bug/problem mention above,
I think there is something wrong with the way ember is scraping these foreign movies.
(2022-12-20, 20:03)DanCooper Wrote: I will try. But if I'm to slow for you, Ember is open source and you can add this new feature by yourself.
Yes please try to fix this problem when you have free time.
Apologies if it came off as trying to get you to fix this big problem quicker.
Just not happy that my entire foreign movies folders is now renamed in an essentially incomprehensible titles
and will be a lot of work to manually renamed back into English titles, unless an Ember update fix can automate this renaming process once it has fix how it scrapes these foreign movies tags in the nfo file.

If my skill level was good enough then I would have try to fix this instead of posting here.
Right now I think you are the only one working on this project and probably only one who knows how all the code pieces are working together.
The only thing I can do is report this problem that I noticed.

If you need more info on how to reproduce the bug/problem or whatever then just post here.

Thanks.
Hi Dancooper,

I have been doing some testing in regards to the problem with why foreign movies titles is not being renamed into English title and instead just renamed as the foreign title

If I enabled checkbox
IMDB scraper
-original title
-title

and also enable checkbox
TMDB
-original title
-title

Then scrape the movie/s, IMDB scraper would over ride the scraping and put the same foreign movie title into both tags
e.g. 

If I disable/uncheck the
IMDB scraper
-original title
-title

then the TMDB scraper would fill in English title correctly in the <title> tag and Ember renamer module will correctly rename the movie into it's English title

So the cause of this problem is IMDB scraper
and something that you could look into as the reason why IMDB scraper is doing this (ie filling foreign movies titles into both <title> and <originaltitle>
and prevent IMDB scraper from overriding the TMDB <title> tag if it is different to the <originaltitle tag> if settings for both scrapers are enabled for <title> and <originaltitle> scraping

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Original title (english title) not getting scraped into NFO file0