fanart image not in English
Hi Dancooper, 

There is a problem with scraping the fanart.

No matter how many times I scrape a movie or click scrape movies button > ALL > Automatic > Fanart only
the fanart image that is downloaded is not in english.
I have tried tools > clearing the cache, clean database and reload all movies but still the same problem occurs.

The poster is in English title
but movie title in the fanart image is not in english.

e.g. 

My setting is  Force Language > English

Ember does not use the language filter for fanarts because 99% of all fanarts does not have a language assigned. I know that is a wish of a lot of users to filter out fanarts with a foreign language and it should be implemented in the next release.
(2022-12-23, 11:44)DanCooper Wrote: Ember does not use the language filter for fanarts because 99% of all fanarts does not have a language assigned.
what is the purpose of the setting scrapers > prefer language > english etc?

So you saying 99% of fanart don't have language label because when people upload the fanart, they don't bother assign a language to it even if it has a title?
or 99% of fanart does not have any movie title in the fanart image, so there is no need to assign a language to it?

if are manually scrape one movie at a time, then we can see Image select that ember knows which fanart is in english or another language, if there is a title in the fanart.
Does it mean those fanart had their language assign to the fanart and can get filtered?

(2022-12-23, 11:44)DanCooper Wrote: I know that is a wish of a lot of users to filter out fanarts with a foreign language and it should be implemented in the next release.
good to know you are working on this for next release.

if the 99% fanart does not have a language assigned, how would you filter it in the next release?

can you add as setting preference for fanart scraping
-prefer language e.g. English, 
 else get fanart with no movie title if English fanart not exist

-download fanart without any movie title in the fanart  
(2022-12-23, 15:09)madmax2 Wrote: what is the purpose of the setting scrapers > prefer language > english etc?
If you add a new source you have to set an "inital language". This language will be assigned to each new movie that you add to the database except if a language is set in an existing NFO. Also you can change the language on any movie individually via context menu. This information is also written to the NFO. All multi-language data scrapers like TMDb and TVDb use this language to get all (text) information. The image however always scrape all images available and use the "Preferred Language" settings you mentioned in the last post. Whitout any option enabled all images will be showed/used. If you use "Force Language", only images with this language tag will be used. If you use "Media Language only" only images with the assigned movie language will be used. The other two sub-option adds english and as "blank" (no language related text in the image) tagged images will be used. This is useful for languages like "german" where most of all movie titles are the same as in the US/english speaking countries and because an image can only be assigned to one language english usually is used.

(2022-12-23, 15:09)madmax2 Wrote: So you saying 99% of fanart don't have language label because when people upload the fanart, they don't bother assign a language to it even if it has a title?
or 99% of fanart does not have any movie title in the fanart image, so there is no need to assign a language to it?
I think Fanart.tv supports language tagging for fanarts since they started the service, but TMDb had no language tag for a long time. Also most of all fanarts in the past don't had text in the image. This was the reason to ignore any filter for fanarts.

(2022-12-23, 15:09)madmax2 Wrote: if are manually scrape one movie at a time, then we can see Image select that ember knows which fanart is in english or another language, if there is a title in the fanart.
Does it mean those fanart had their language assign to the fanart and can get filtered?

Ember always showed the language information if there was one, even for fanarts and even if no filter for fanarts has been implemented.

As said, it is not a problem to implement the filter for fanarts as well. The only think I've to think of is how to handle the case users prefer "blank" fanarts instead of "movie language" tagged ones.
(2022-12-23, 15:09)madmax2 Wrote: So you saying 99% of fanart don't have language label
fanart = images with no text. So there can be no language assigned to them. It is classed as "No Language" at TMDB
landscape = fanart with text.

https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/615678-.../backdrops
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2022-12-23, 20:31)Karellen Wrote: fanart = images with no text. So there can be no language assigned to them. It is classed as "No Language" at TMDB
landscape = fanart with text.

thanks for the info
though I don't think this info/definition applies anymore nowadays or is relevant

If you manually scraping each movie the fanart selection window shows fanart with text and no text fanart.

I have not seen ember download any landscape pics nowadays /anymore,
don't think they exist or people are just not creating them.
(2022-12-23, 18:29)DanCooper Wrote: I think Fanart.tv supports language tagging for fanarts since they started the service, but TMDb had no language tag for a long time. Also most of all fanarts in the past don't had text in the image. This was the reason to ignore any filter for fanarts.

yeah unfortunately nowadays many fanart has text movie title in them.

if the fanart downloaded had no text then that is fine, 
just the ones that ember downloads with the text in a language you don't understand or want, then it does not look nice.

(2022-12-23, 18:29)DanCooper Wrote: As said, it is not a problem to implement the filter for fanarts as well. The only think I've to think of is how to handle the case users prefer "blank" fanarts instead of "movie language" tagged ones.

when you say blank fanart, do you mean fanart without any text in the image?

If so, that is what I meant when add two settings to fanart settings
  1. Download fanart with your prefer language, if it doesn't exist, then download blank one 
    (this setting for people who prefer fanart with movie title text in the image else get the blank one)
  2. Download only blank fanart (no languages/text in the image)
    (this setting for people who prefer no text fanart ie blank fanart)
(2022-12-23, 23:19)madmax2 Wrote: though I don't think this info/definition applies anymore nowadays or is relevant
It does to Kodi.
Using the Kodi scrapers, only "No Language" images are scraped as "fanart".
"Landscape" images are scraped, and which language is scraped depends on the language set in the scraper settings.

I should have been clearer. My comments related to Kodi. Kodi definitely uses "landscape.jpg"
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2022-12-23, 23:43)Karellen Wrote: Using the Kodi scrapers, only "No Language" images are scraped as "fanart".
"Landscape" images are scraped, and which language is scraped depends on the language set in the scraper settings.
is kodi scraper getting the landscape images from the same fanart.tv site and TMDB?
and it is just renaming any fanart with text as landscape.jpg

I enable the setting in ember to download landscape images from FanartTV and not a single one has been downloaded for any movie (according to green tick icon in the ember main movie listing window)

Also according the wiki, resolution should be 1000w x 562h for landscape, which would not be common resolution if using fanart with text which are commonly in 1080p or 4k resolutions nowadays.
https://kodi.wiki/view/Artwork_types

Image specifications
Name : landscape
Type: jpg
Resolution: 1000w x 562h
Aspect Ratio =16:9
Transparent background = No
(2022-12-24, 01:51)madmax2 Wrote: is kodi scraper getting the landscape images from the same fanart.tv site and TMDB?
and it is just renaming any fanart with text as landscape.jpg
Yes

(2022-12-24, 01:51)madmax2 Wrote: Also according the wiki, resolution should be 1000w x 562h for landscape,
That is a suggestion.
From the top of that page...
Quote:Note: All resolutions are suggestions and roughly fall in line with the sizing at the scraper sites. You may modify the resolution to suit your own needs, but the aspect ratio must be maintained otherwise the image may undergo stretching, squashing or cropping when viewed in Kodi. If you intend to share your artwork, check the scraper sites to ensure your artworks are within their minimum and maximum limits.
My Signature
(2022-12-23, 23:43)Karellen Wrote: Using the Kodi scrapers, only "No Language" images are scraped as "fanart".
In my opinion that's not correct. "Landscape" is another image type then "fanart". "Landscape" is usually used as an image for alternative library views like banners-view instead of a poster. I've never seen a "landscape" used as fanart/background image. I know these images types:
  • poster
  • fanart (uses as background) = extra fanarts (additional fanarts to switch through for backgrounds) = extra thumbs (usually "screenshots" from the movie that shows scenes with actors that will shows on the information dialog if you press "i")
  • banner (as alternative to poster)
  • landscape (as alternative to posters)
  • discart
  • clearart
  • clearlogo
  • characterart
  • keyart (poster without any text/logo)
(2022-12-24, 15:55)DanCooper Wrote: "Landscape" is another image type then "fanart". "Landscape" is usually used as an image for alternative library views like banners-view instead of a poster. I've never seen a "landscape" used as fanart/background image.
Yes, you are correct. I am not suggesting otherwise.
I am trying to explain that fanart with text is called "landscape.jpg" in the Kodi world. It would be wrong to use landscape images as large fanart backgrounds.
They are used in other views, similar to poster view, banner view or panel/landscape view.
My Signature
(2022-12-24, 15:55)DanCooper Wrote:
In my opinion that's not correct. "Landscape" is another image type then "fanart". "Landscape" is usually used as an image for alternative library views like banners-view instead of a poster. I've never seen a "landscape" used as fanart/background image. I know these images types:
  • poster
  • fanart (uses as background) = extra fanarts (additional fanarts to switch through for backgrounds) = extra thumbs (usually "screenshots" from the movie that shows scenes with actors that will shows on the information dialog if you press "i")
  • banner (as alternative to poster)
  • landscape (as alternative to posters)
  • discart
  • clearart
  • clearlogo
  • characterart
  • keyart (poster without any text/logo)

is it normal for ember not to download any landscape images?
I have the landscrape checkbox enabled but no landscape ever gets downloaded from fanart.tv
Do you also enabled a file name for landscape?
(2022-12-28, 23:50)DanCooper Wrote: Do you also enabled a file name for landscape?

Can you post screenshot of what you mean or how to do this?

Also why ember not do this automatically after enable the landscape checkbox?
Seems like it would be simpler to do this automatically than having users wonder why it not working.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
fanart image not in English0