Black Frame Insertion (BFI) to reduce motion blur
Motion blur is a surprisingly deep topic, so I'll try to keep this post as narrow in scope as possible. For additional background reading, here is a good place to start - https://blurbusters.com/faq/oled-motion-blur, https://www.testufo.com/blackframes#easteregg=1 for a demo of software-based BFI, and https://blurbusters.com for all things "blur".

Quick background - Most of today's display technology exhibit significant motion blur (even at 120hz+ refresh rates), and this is particularly exacerbated on lower framerate content (24/30fps) due to the "sample-and-hold" nature of OLED technology. Many newer TV's and gaming monitors now come with some form of hardware-based technology (BFI or backlight strobing) to combat motion blur, but phones and tablets (and their operating systems) have yet to adopt these technologies. However, it is possible to implement BFI via software (see https://blurbusters.com/software-based-b...y-in-mame/ for a MAME source-code modification that enables BFI on 120hz+ displays).

Here's an example of the effect of the motion blur of 23.976fps content on the main OLED display of a Galaxy Fold 4 (note you can actually see 3 frames blurred together):

And here is what that those 3 original frames are supposed to look like:

It would be great to see Kodi implement a software-based BFI solution for folks looking to mitigate this ugly hardware effect on today's phones / tablets and TVs / monitors that don't offer a hardware-based solution. Ideally it would offer some level of customization so that the user could define the number of blank frames to insert (see the "strobe" dropdown here - https://www.testufo.com/blackframes#easteregg=1).

What do you all think?
(2022-12-26, 22:14)dustobub Wrote: What do you all think?

I think I would start at the source of the problem and select a display technology that didn't produce motion problems especially sample and hold.  I would also embrace built-in factory provided interpolation and use it to eliminate motion problems while improving other overall video clarity.  I highly prefer 240Hz which is 10 times that of common 24Hz sources.  Furthermore, I would use advanced settings allowing doubling of refresh rates to insert more frames per second.  I see no reason to fiddle with a software player that is working perfectly to provide an exclusive band-aid for poor motion handling display technologies tbh.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
I don't think it would be worth the hassle and the added code complexity, for what is just a bandaid for bad displays and lacking display drivers.

For this to work, you would need players and displays which support 120Hz (at 4k). Both are fairly new, and I would guess that most of the latter are immune to this (by using a mature display technology of black frames). The reduction in brightness would be a huge issue. And then, you would need to port this to 7+ platforms/renderers.

If this is of concern to you, I would highly suggest to select a device which is not having such issues.
(2022-12-28, 00:05)sarbes Wrote: I don't think it would be worth the hassle and the added code complexity, for what is just a bandaid for bad displays and lacking display drivers.

For this to work, you would need players and displays which support 120Hz (at 4k). Both are fairly new, and I would guess that most of the latter are immune to this (by using a mature display technology of black frames). The reduction in brightness would be a huge issue. And then, you would need to port this to 7+ platforms/renderers.

If this is of concern to you, I would highly suggest to select a device which is not having such issues.

I entirely agree that this would be a large bandaid, and as a frame-based solution, it would also certainly be a less than ideal workaround compared to a hardware / display refresh-based solution (see here for some good notes on the topic). While this is a broad generalization, I think most phone manufacturers don't see motion performance as a priority for their consumer devices. Over the next few years, we may see an influx of 120hz OLED displays with poor motion performance, and if the time lag between when TV's started implementing motion interpolation by default (ie. the soap opera effect) until when Filmmaker Mode started to be supported is any indicator, it could be years of dealing with blur. The correct place to handle this is definitely at the driver / OS level (via something like a Low Persistence mode that was implemented on certain Daydream VR Android phones) but think it might be foolish to hold out hoping that manufacturers are going to implement that anytime soon. Maybe we do see a general improvement of motion blur over the years (certainly gaming monitors have made huge progress recently). I was just thinking that maybe it was worth a quick investigation into whether there exists some type of reasonable solution (ie. not requiring complex handling across various platforms) - something like what is described here by the founder of Blur Busters, but that isn't likely very portable across platforms. But yeah, most likely it isn't worth the effort. Just a shame to see display manufacturers prioritize other features (ie. blinding HDR brightness levels) at the expense of motion performance. Thanks for the replies / consideration.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Black Frame Insertion (BFI) to reduce motion blur0