11th Gen Intel Nuc thoughts please?
Hi,

TLDR: Is the 11th Gen Intel NUC N4505 a good choice? or should I go N2+/Vero route?

---

I was wondering whether anyone had any thoughts/input on this Intel NUC 11 Essential Kit, NUC11ATKC2, Atlas Canyon, Celeron N4505, DDR4 SO-DIMM, M.2 SATA with Intel® UHD Graphics (£195 all in).

CPU Benchmark (2378): Celeron N4505.
NUC Page: NUC11ATKC2

I wish I knew more what to look for - it just says UHD graphics! I am looking to replace my Nvidia Shield - don't need the ads (I know there are workarounds) but would like this device to be stock.

I started out with the Roku>Pi2>3>4>Shield, now am using a desktop temporarily (i3-8100).

• No streaming needed - all on NFS from local server.
  • Skin - Arctiz Zephry - Reloaded.
  • 4k, HEVC
  • Don't need 3D.
  • Have the OSMC remote + dongle already which is great.
  • Librelec

Thanks!
A few things come to mind...

- The CPU/GPU is some 2 years/generations old now. Not the very latest of UltraHD graphics, but HEVC should work. 4K60..? Not sure about that, the device may be capped at 4K30.
- It possibly has fan, so noise could be a factor (I prefer fanless solutions).
- It uses only 1 memory DIMM, so no use of 'dual channel mode' which typically increases memory speed by a (little) bit.
- Intel devices are usually more expensive compared to Android boxes. I have no idea what a Vero device costs ATM.
In my opinion alone, that box would be good enough to hold a door open, maybe.

Anything celeron is more for price than performance.

You should look at specs comparisons on UserBenchmark when making these types of decisions.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/SpeedTest/...5---200GHz

A CPU rating of 1070th out of 1372 is very bad.

On Intel UHD graphics, I have had luck with them before, ffmpeg is able to take advantage of them for hardware acceleration both decode and encode, generally speaking but needs to be compiled to do so. YMMV

Based on CPU alone my opinion would be a hard pass.

Just one person's opinion, you do you.
(2023-01-04, 18:27)nymdbwdp Wrote: A CPU rating of 1070th out of 1372 is very bad.

Compared to a Intel 13th Gen powerhouse CPU..? Sure.
But this is neither supposed to be a big office server or a high octane game PC, is it?
Focus on video stream quality and codecs. For normal (not demo videos), UHD5/6 series should be fine.
There's no need to debate, it's an "opinion request" thread.

My libreelec box used to be an i3 with Intel UHD. Worked perfectly fine then, has since been repurposed and still runs server functionality on my network.

For comparision you can get a Intel NUC10 with an I3 10110U which ranks 813th out of 1372, a full 257 spots higher, and it's negligibly higher in price.

I have formed a strong dislike for celeron in my years and it's an opinion that's not likely to change.
Specs say it can do 4k 60fps and can decode HEVC, h.264 and VP9. 

https://www.icp-deutschland.de/out/media...e-Info.pdf
Celeron's are great for LE/Kodi, ive got an HTPC with the older J4105 and its great. If all you're doing is local media playback anything more than a Celeron/Pentium is a waste.

Edit: this thread is probably worth a read.
(2023-01-04, 19:23)nymdbwdp Wrote: There's no need to debate

Sorry about that, for a moment I thought I was on a forum.
(2023-01-04, 21:01)Klojum Wrote:
(2023-01-04, 19:23)nymdbwdp Wrote: There's no need to debate

Sorry about that, for a moment I thought I was on a forum.

I didn't see a need for a debate but what do I know I'm just a newb here  Tongue

I just provided my opinion as requested by OP, if I provided advice for a living I'd be broke or everyone I gave advice to would be.
@Klojum - I always forget the fan! I think Vero's are £130 + SD Card. I see on the post @PANiCnz linked to you have a J5005 Pentium? motherboard with pico psu - I have looked at these more than once - I think this may be a route I would like to investigate more.

@nymdbwdp - The small/low power dream turning into a reality of a door stop is something I definitely want to avoid - I think the NUC10's are around £300.

@calev - Thanks for the link - I did not find that!

@PANiCnz - Thanks for the link - this is something I will look at more.

---

Thank you for all the input - it really helps. I don't mind any debate - it all helps justify an opinion and arrive at a good socratic decision.

I think the hard part with the small low power route is to make sure 'just enough' does not turn into 'not enough!'

I not am going to buy this NUC as I think the diy-itx route may hold better value - and be an something I would like to learn more about.
@Charon

I'm glad you were able to make an informed decision, always happy to help.

Consider posting a mini-review on this box after you get it set up, I'm sure users would like to know some of the pros and cons or anything needed specifically to get it set up outside of the normal out of the box setup.

Have a great year, congratulations on your purchase!
A couple of points to think about:

The 11th Gen Celeron N4505 is not based on the Tiger Lake Core architecture, rather is based on Tremont/Jasper Lake Atom architecture for low cost entry devices.  As such, any comparisons between the 2 are grossly disparate.
If all you want is the ability to play media at 4K@60Hz, they do the job.  But if you plan on using KODI as your media player, I suggest you think twice.  It will be pretty sluggish because the KODI GUI is pretty demanding and processing large libraries will bring it to its knees.

You said you don't want the unit to become a doorstop in the near future.  If you're talking about a device that will be used for everyday computing, then that argument might be valid (to a point), but for something like a Media player, a one trick pony so to speak, as long as it plays your media today, it will still play it 5 years or 10 years from now.  The difference will be in what "new fangled" formats (CODECS) will be all the rage 10 years from now.  But again, your existing media will still be OK, and the odds are so will the future media.

As such, buying an older NUC (or any other SFF PC) with an older CPU is not something that should be discounted.  Sure I have a balls-to-the-wall workstation I use for my work, and I have a NUC8 with Core i7 inside my Virtual pinball machine (it needs the processing power and Iris+ Graphics).  But for KODI playback I have a NUC6i3SYK, and a NUC8i3BEH.  Both of those are Core i3, 6th & 8th gen respectively, and they play all my media perfectly at all the resolutions my LG OLED65E6 4K, 3D TV can handle. 

Since those are older models, they can be picked up used on eBay for as little as $100 for the NUC 6th Gen, and as little as $175 for the 8th Gen.  You can even find the NUC6 Core i5 for less that $150.   Personally I would recommend the 6th gen, it's a bit more compatible with certain 3D formats (frame packed MVC or ISO).  Newer models have implemented changes that break some of that compatibility.

Anyway, some food for thought.
Agree with much here and have used many different boxes and put them together for lots of people.
PCs and mini-PCs are fast with Kodi but a quality Android box like Beelink GT King or nvidia Shield is fast enough and consumes much less power. 
My favorite is Gt King Pro with Coreelec as it never glitches or freezes and everything works.
NUCs seem to die a bit easily and 4 out of 5 didn't last more than a couple years, 2 just one year. The parts are not standard and while sometimes replaceable, they aren't like PC towers where you can mish mash parts together. They are specific to each build - which sucks. Might as well be iphones!
Oh, and the hype over NVIDIA Shield... I just don't like that it's bloated with it's own stuff and you've got to wait for best Kodi updates and the gaming is not for the casual player as you have to jump through endless (for me they never ended because I just couldn't fill out all the registrations and decipher why all the accounts I had to have to play the simplest game that I just gave up). The main screen is just like any smart tv or other device trying to sell you stuff.
And the Shield has crappola nothing for storage - maybe a couple of movies if you don't have many apps? Short movies...really short.
The Beelinks and other good ones have enough GB to store a couple dozen movies or lots more so you can just take the one little box to a get together and plug it in to a TV and tada! No extra stuff needed.
That's been great for extended holiday get togethers nowhere near internet sources.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
11th Gen Intel Nuc thoughts please?0