adding games to kodi
is it possible to add games installed already on the PC like windows or linux to kodi or does it have to be retro games?
Yes, this is possible via add-ons. I suggest you browse the forum and look at the wide variety of add-ons available.

You can also try one of my test builds based on the stable v20.0 release: https://github.com/garbear/xbmc/releases . I included repos for IAGL and AKL so that you can try them out without having to install the repos manually.
On Windows I also use Steam Launcher to launch anything in my Steam library. I also include the repo for this in my test builds.
hey thank you so much I will try your recommendations
hey @garbear does your addon works for .iso games installed on windows with the usual .exe file coming ? and if yes, do you have some read me file on how to do that. thank you so much
Hey I know it's been a long time but finally i had the time to do it using your recommendations and I was able to add all my PC games to kodi. this is amazing Big Grin. thanks for your help
Glad it worked out!
i would like to play all my pc games on kodi to but has no idea where to start and thoughts would be great thanks
(2024-01-28, 15:58)mollyrocco Wrote: i would like to play all my pc games on kodi to but has no idea where to start and thoughts would be great thanks

Hello,

I am just a user of Kodi and I like it so much so that I put everything that interests me into it including Games so just so you know, I am not an expert or part of Kodi team or anything like that. so here is how I did it.

Please note:
- Some steps are essential and some steps just for the sake of being organized and make it easy for some setup steps.
- This is Windows based so adjust for your platform.

1- I gathered all games resources / installation exe/ iso files / etc. in a parent  folder, then sub-folders for each game separately.
Games Sources
    Doom setup
    Syberia setup
    Yesterday setup
    etc.

2- I installed those games into another parent folder in C drive and again sub-folders for each game.
Games
    Doom 
    Syberia
    Yesterday
    etc.

3- I made shortcuts of each game then gathered them in a folder on C drive as well.
Games Launchers
    Doom.lnk
    Syberia.lnk
    Yesterday.lnk
    etc.

4- In Kodi install add on called "Advanced Emulator Launcher" go through its config and adjust it as you see fit. the most important config is: 
    4a- ROM scraping > Metadata scan policy > choose NFO + Scrapers.
          ROM scraping > Asset scan policy > choose Local images + scrapers.
    4b- Head to Mobygames and obtain API then add it to this config.
          MISC settings > SCRAPER API KEY.
    4c- Path > choose where you want the assets to be stored.
    4d- ROM scraping > Scanner scrapers > chose "MobyGames" (this is the best one that worked for me, see what works for you).

5- Open the add on "Advanced Emulator Launcher" press "C" on your keyboard and chose "Create New Category" and give it a name. I named mine "Games".

6- Highlight the new created category and press "C" and choose "Add New Launcher" inside the "Games" category and give it a name. I named mine "Launcher". This should be an "LNK Launcher (Windows Only)" type and "Microsoft Windows" platform.

7- Then a pop up will appear asking you to browse for the lnk shortcuts. This should be the folder created in step 3 called "Games Launchers".

8- After the launcher is created, highlight it and click "C" then chose scan ROMs.

9- This should add the games to Kodi and now you are able to run them from this add on at the section called "Launcher" that you just created.

10- Since now you have access to the games, you can add each one to Kodi Favorites and then you can make a Kodi main menu  called "Games" then point it to the Games you added to the Favorites. You can do that in a more tidy way using addon called "Super Favorites". So now you can launch the games from Kodi main menu / Games instead of going all the way into the add on.

finally, be aware that some games will require admin rights to run, since they are executable files so the popup will show on Windows and not on Kodi.

here are some screenshots

https://imgur.com/a/ZRrSHsG
https://imgur.com/a/RdpKdIN
https://imgur.com/a/rP4g0db

hope this helps

nordicguy
(2024-01-28, 17:01)nordicguy Wrote:
(2024-01-28, 15:58)mollyrocco Wrote: i would like to play all my pc games on kodi to but has no idea where to start and thoughts would be great thanks

Hello,

I am just a user of Kodi and I like it so much so that I put everything that interests me into it including Games so just so you know, I am not an expert or part of Kodi team or anything like that. so here is how I did it.

Please note:
- Some steps are essential and some steps just for the sake of being organized and make it easy for some setup steps.
- This is Windows based so adjust for your platform.

1- I gathered all games resources / installation exe/ iso files / etc. in a parent  folder, then sub-folders for each game separately.
Games Sources
    Doom setup
    Syberia setup
    Yesterday setup
    etc.

2- I installed those games into another parent folder in C drive and again sub-folders for each game.
Games
    Doom 
    Syberia
    Yesterday
    etc.

3- I made shortcuts of each game then gathered them in a folder on C drive as well.
Games Launchers
    Doom.lnk
    Syberia.lnk
    Yesterday.lnk
    etc.

4- In Kodi install add on called "Advanced Emulator Launcher" go through its config and adjust it as you see fit. the most important config is: 
    4a- ROM scraping > Metadata scan policy > choose NFO + Scrapers.
          ROM scraping > Asset scan policy > choose Local images + scrapers.
    4b- Head to Mobygames and obtain API then add it to this config.
          MISC settings > SCRAPER API KEY.
    4c- Path > choose where you want the assets to be stored.
    4d- ROM scraping > Scanner scrapers > chose "MobyGames" (this is the best one that worked for me, see what works for you).

5- Open the add on "Advanced Emulator Launcher" press "C" on your keyboard and chose "Create New Category" and give it a name. I named mine "Games".

6- Highlight the new created category and press "C" and choose "Add New Launcher" inside the "Games" category and give it a name. I named mine "Launcher". This should be an "LNK Launcher (Windows Only)" type and "Microsoft Windows" platform.

7- Then a pop up will appear asking you to browse for the lnk shortcuts. This should be the folder created in step 3 called "Games Launchers".

8- After the launcher is created, highlight it and click "C" then chose scan ROMs.

9- This should add the games to Kodi and now you are able to run them from this add on at the section called "Launcher" that you just created.

10- Since now you have access to the games, you can add each one to Kodi Favorites and then you can make a Kodi main menu  called "Games" then point it to the Games you added to the Favorites. You can do that in a more tidy way using addon called "Super Favorites". So now you can launch the games from Kodi main menu / Games instead of going all the way into the add on.

finally, be aware that some games will require admin rights to run, since they are executable files so the popup will show on Windows and not on Kodi.

here are some screenshots

https://imgur.com/a/ZRrSHsG
https://imgur.com/a/RdpKdIN
https://imgur.com/a/rP4g0db

hope this helps

nordicguy
wow thanks for the advice ,   the games i have are on cd and the year is win 95    i am running win 11   but my games wont install even after admin or compatability  mode
(2024-01-29, 10:35)mollyrocco Wrote:
wow thanks for the advice ,   the games i have are on cd and the year is win 95    i am running win 11   but my games wont install even after admin or compatability  mode

The steps above assume that you have already installed the games on your Windows machine and you are able to run them and play them from Windows with no issues. (I should have mentioned that)

If I understand you correctly, the games are made for Win95 and you need to install them on Win 11? then it isn't a Kodi problem. you need to google or youtube how you can install older games on newer platform. probably you will have to dig into emulators and ROMS subject. also some emulators and standalone games are available inside some Kodi addons.

If you mean that you have followed the steps above to implement the games into Kodi and you still not able to run and play the games, then please provide more info or better debug log to understand the problem better

nordicguy
(2024-01-29, 13:11)nordicguy Wrote:
(2024-01-29, 10:35)mollyrocco Wrote:

The steps above assume that you have already installed the games on your Windows machine and you are able to run them and play them from Windows with no issues. (I should have mentioned that)

If I understand you correctly, the games are made for Win95 and you need to install them on Win 11? then it isn't a Kodi problem. you need to google or youtube how you can install older games on newer platform. probably you will have to dig into emulators and ROMS subject. also some emulators and standalone games are available inside some Kodi addons.

If you mean that you have followed the steps above to implement the games into Kodi and you still not able to run and play the games, then please provide more info or better debug log to understand the problem better

nordicguy
thanks for your reply  yes the games are for year 95  , but would like to play them within kodi as i am trying out launchbox

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
adding games to kodi0