Setting up Kodi on RPi4B with ArchLinuxArm
Hi,
I managed to install ArchLinuxArm on my Raspberry 4B   (Linux Raspi 6.2.1-1-aarch64-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sat Feb 25 15:18:35 MST 2023 aarch64 GNU/Linux
), and install Kodi 20.0.

As a complete newbie to ArchLinux I am facing a couple of issues / questions:

* Where can I find the PVR-clients, inputstream.adaptive, Inputstream.* ...
* Videos are playing, but for H.265-videos I hear the sound, but my screen is black,  only SW-rendering is used - 
   This might be caused by using X11-Windowing - how do I switch to GBM or Wayland?

Thanks!
(2023-03-02, 05:30)MicTie Wrote: As a complete newbie to ArchLinux I am facing a couple of issues:

As you may have noticed, we offer official support only for Ubuntu Linux via a PPA for Intel x86-64 devices. Other solutions for RPi devices are done via external sources.
So for ArchLinux-related solutions (certainly when they are only a week old), it's best to contact the Arch forums/developers directly, as they provide their own packages for the Kodi application.
(2023-03-02, 05:30)MicTie Wrote: * Where can I find the PVR-clients, inputstream.adaptive, Inputstream.* ...
* Videos are playing, but for H.265-videos I hear the sound, but my screen is black,  only SW-rendering is used - 
   This might be caused by using X11-Windowing - how do I switch to GBM or Wayland?

Arch ARM is not offering kodi-addon-inputstream-adaptive in our official repos but you can build it yourself pretty easily.

As to why you don't have HW decoding, did you modify your /boot/config.txt as pacman advised upon installation?
pacman Wrote:>>> Remove any manual tweaks made to /boot/config.txt particulary a line such
as gpu_mem=xxx. Driver setup for Kodi is stored in /boot/kodi.config.txt

Manually append the following to /boot/config.txt to make them active:
[all]
include kodi.config.txt

A reboot will be required to activate them if this is a fresh install.
Need help programming a Streamzap remote?
@graysky
Thanks for your reply!

What about PVR IPTV Simple Client? Do I have to build it myself? Should not be a problem, I have built all these before for my Jetson Nano ...

Adding the recommended lines to /boot/config.txt did not change anything.  
See here:
enable_uart=1
[all]
include kodi.config.txt
The PVR stuff you want isn't even offered in the official Arch Linux repos, but it is in the AUR: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/kodi-...iptvsimple

For HW accel decoding you will need the linux-rpi (RPi Foundation fork) package not linux-aarch64 (vanilla linux).  I am guessing you are running linux-aarch64.
pacman Wrote:
Code:
:: Processing package changes...
(1/1) installing kodi-rpi                  [##########################################################] 100%
Optional dependencies for kodi-rpi
    afpfs-ng: Apple shares support
    bluez: Blutooth support
    linux-rpi: HW accelerated decoding [installed]
    python-pybluez: Bluetooth support
    pulseaudio: PulseAudio support
    pipewire: PipeWire support
This what I see:
<code>
[root@NanoRaspi ~]# pacman -S kodi-rpi --info
Repository      : alarm
Name            : kodi-rpi
Version         : 20.0-9
Description     : Media player and entertainment hub with hw accel for RPi 3/4/400, gbm_nexus fork
Architecture    : aarch64
URL             : https://github.com/graysky2/xbmc/tree/gs-gbm_nexus
Licenses        : GPL2
Groups          : None
Provides        : xbmc  kodi=20.0  kodi-common=20.0
Depends On      : bluez-libs  curl  dav1d  desktop-file-utils  hicolor-icon-theme  fmt  lcms2  libass  libbluray  libcdio  libcec-rpi  libmicrohttpd
                  libnfs  libplist  libpulse  libxslt  lirc  mariadb-libs  mesa  libpipewire  python-pillow  python-pycryptodomex  python-simplejson
                  shairplay  smbclient  sndio  spdlog  sqlite  taglib  tinyxml  libxkbcommon  polkit  linux>=5.4.35  lzo  libinput  pcre
Optional Deps   : afpfs-ng: Apple shares support
                  bluez: Blutooth support
                  linux-rpi: HW accelerated decoding
                  python-pybluez: Bluetooth support
                  pulseaudio: PulseAudio support
                  pipewire: PipeWire support
Conflicts With  : xbmc  kodi  arm-mem-git  shairplay-git  kodi-rbp  kodi-rbp3  kodi-rbp4  kodi-rpi-legacy
Replaces        : xbmc-rbp-git  kodi-rbp4
Download Size   : 33.89 MiB
Installed Size  : 87.45 MiB
Packager        : Arch Linux ARM Build System <[email protected]>
Build Date      : Thu Mar 2 04:09:14 2023
Validated By    : MD5 Sum  SHA-256 Sum  Signature

</code>
linux-rpi (RPi Foundation fork) package? 
I am using: Linux NanoRaspi 6.2.1-1-aarch64-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sat Feb 25 15:18:35 MST 2023 aarch64 GNU/Linux (not sure it's related)

Thank you!
(2023-03-02, 12:36)MicTie Wrote: I am using: Linux NanoRaspi 6.2.1-1-aarch64-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sat Feb 25 15:18:35 MST 2023 aarch64 GNU/Linux (not sure it's related)

That is the wrong kernel. Run:
Code:
# pacman -S --needed linux-rpi raspberrypi-bootloader firmware-raspberrypi

Once you reboot it should look like this:
Code:
% uname -a
Linux submyth 6.2.0-2-rpi-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Feb 21 06:01:54 EST 2023 aarch64 GNU/Linux
Thanks!

Changing the kernel was not so successful ...
The device does not boot ... may have to reinstall

PS: could this be caused by the fact that I am booting from a USB-stick (w/o Sd-Card) ?
maybe something a little easier like libreelec would be an option here, less guesswork and it *should run out of the box
If you're booting to USB you will need to adjust some files.  I haven't done it in a while.  You might search on the Arch ARM forum for a post detailing it.
(2023-03-02, 17:33)jepsizofye Wrote: maybe something a little easier like libreelec would be an option here, less guesswork and it *should run out of the box
Guessing and testing is OK - it's part of a learning experience.
I am looking for a Raspberry OS which can run the latest Kodi as well as other applications (some servers), and I hope it can run for several years w/o reinstallation.
ArchLinux was recommended, it started of well, now there is an obstacle which need to be settled.
If it's too difficult I can always go back to RaspiOS or Debian ...
i dont know who told you libreelec cant be a mini server... https://wiki.libreelec.tv/installation/docker
coreelec has opkg, not sure about libre though

(note i use docker on my nas)
(2023-03-02, 22:52)graysky Wrote: If you're booting to USB you will need to adjust some files.  I haven't done it in a while.  You might search on the Arch ARM forum for a post detailing it.
Thanks!
I changed /boot/cmdline.txt to my boot-device, and it's booting again.

uname -a shows:
Linux NanoRaspi 6.1.13-1-rpi-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Feb 23 12:17:10 MST 2023 aarch64 GNU/Linux (you have 6.2.0-2)

But there is still no HW-acceleration.

Any recommendation what to try next?

Thanks!
(2023-03-03, 05:48)jepsizofye Wrote: i dont know who told you libreelec cant be a mini server... https://wiki.libreelec.tv/installation/docker
coreelec has opkg, not sure about libre though

(note i use docker on my nas)
Oh, I was not aware - will check!
Thanks!
(2023-03-03, 07:02)MicTie Wrote: But there is still no HW-acceleration.

Any recommendation what to try next?

Are you using gbm? Did you start kodi from the included systemd service or are you running kodi through X?

(2023-03-03, 07:02)MicTie Wrote: uname -a shows:
Linux NanoRaspi 6.1.13-1-rpi-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Feb 23 12:17:10 MST 2023 aarch64 GNU/Linux (you have 6.2.0-2)

Yes, the 6.1.y series of kernels are the stable ones.  I am running a development one based on the 6.2.y series.  That doesn't matter.  Both offer HW decoding.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Setting up Kodi on RPi4B with ArchLinuxArm0