Linux New on kodi. How to continue ???
Hello how are you ?
I am new to kodi and have some doubts.
I haven't had any problems with the installation, I've been using Linux for a long time, nor with the language and regional settings, but I don't quite understand how Kodi works, it doesn't give the impression of being a client-server application, but rather a stand-alone application.
to sum up.
I have my network, with an ubuntu server and kodi already installed. For example.
1.- How do I access kodi to play my local files (within the server) on my television.
a.- It is an LG with WebOs so it should be accessed via the web with the TV browser.
b.- I can access "configure" but not play, search, etc ...

2.- How do I do the same from my cell phone? The play stre application is "another server" not a client that connects to my server.

In summary, I have everything installed, how do I continue?
Greetings and thanks.
kodi feels like a client standalone because that is what it is intended to be

kodi *can* serve upnp but that is not its intended function and imo it is clunky and i dont use it

normal kodi usage is install it as a client, add file sources and play them within kodi - not play them from kodi on another device where kodi is not installed
Ahh, ok, then is not wath i looking for. 
99% of the advertisements say media server, that's why I was testing it, ... so I'll keep looking.
Thank you.
if you are looking for a media server look into jellyfin/emby/plex/mezzmo

i use jellyfin personally
I was looking there, it looks promising. I'll try it, thanks for the info.
(2023-06-23, 17:41)geminis Wrote: 99% of the advertisements say media server
Sure they don't say 'media centre'?
(2023-06-23, 17:00)geminis Wrote: Hello how are you ?
I am new to kodi and have some doubts.
I haven't had any problems with the installation, I've been using Linux for a long time, nor with the language and regional settings, but I don't quite understand how Kodi works, it doesn't give the impression of being a client-server application, but rather a stand-alone application.
to sum up.
I have my network, with an ubuntu server and kodi already installed. For example.
1.- How do I access kodi to play my local files (within the server) on my television.
a.- It is an LG with WebOs so it should be accessed via the web with the TV browser.
b.- I can access "configure" but not play, search, etc ...

2.- How do I do the same from my cell phone? The play stre application is "another server" not a client that connects to my server.

In summary, I have everything installed, how do I continue?
Greetings and thanks.

I would start your research here.   Many of us use UPnP/DLNA types of solutions which can do what you want (hence my tagline).  The 4 most popular ones are mentioned above and have links on the sharing Wiki page.  Each has its strengths and weaknesses.  Kodi makes for an excellent client for all of these solutions and and each have Kodi addons which make the experience even better.

Thanks,

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
Quote:a.- It is an LG with WebOs so it should be accessed via the web with the TV browser.
You could try installing the new experimental Kodi for WebOS directly on your TV and then use your ubuntu server to share the media using smb or nfs
http://mirrors.kodi.tv/nightlies/webos/master/
Kodi 21 Windows 10 and 11 | 21 Xbox One X | 21 Linux Mint Virginia XFCE | CoreELEC NO 21 nightly S905X4 aarch64

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New on kodi. How to continue ???0