Req On videos on many audio tracks provide flexibility in language choice
This is an enhancement request, probably more useful for us whose English is not our native language, but also for specific viewer categories (eg anime, classic movies).

My native language is Greek. Have been watching:
(1) a lot of movies/series with the original sound being English, in that language.
(2) a zillion of Asian movies plus anime, where I also prefer to hear the Japanese/Korean/Chinese audio (always head and heels better due to the pathetic English voice actor casting)

With my current configuration set in Kodi being Greek, (1) is not an usual problem since there is no Greek audio, so the English stream is heard. But in quite a few cases, the "default" audio track is not the English one. Obvious solution would be to configure English to be the preferred audio, but that setting would produce extra clicks in the second category.

I'd like to ask the development gals and lads whether it would feasible and worthwhile to implement some sort of priority audio language preference, like the one in Media Player Classic. For example, if I want to hear the Japanese/Chinese/Korean track if it exists and have a fallback to English, I could specify an audio preference order of ja,ch,kr,en

The appropriate track would be the first that would match. Similarly for a, say, Greek with eye view problems (but who can understand spoken English well enough), gr, en could be selected. default could be included as a special keyword if a stream is marked as such and no language matches, or 1 for the first track.

Before posting, I made a quick search and found at least one reference similar to this one in a 3-year old thread (https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=44450), in which a similar problem was described, the one of prioritizing better quality audio, but regarding the same language.

Not a developer here, just offering a view that from a UI point a user select audio tracks using 3 controls in the gui:
* one to select to prioritize language first / audio quality for that language second (or the other way around). So the user either fixes the language preference and then if multiple tracks are offered, the user-configured best quality is selected, OR the user fixes which would be the listening quality, and then the user-configured language preference finally selects the language that should be played,
* settings regarding language priority (ie ja,ch,kr,en),
* settings regarding audio quality (AC-3, DTS, stereo etc)

Thanks in advance for your consideration in looking into this.

PS: is there some sort of upvoting / downvoting enhancement requests? There are certainly very nice ideas in this forum, some certainly definitely more mass-appealing than the others...
(2023-08-21, 12:28)carmik Wrote: Not a developer here, just offering a view
There's nothing stopping development in this area, both users & skilled developers are welcome to continue improving the Kodi open source. The feature request area of the forum is meant to trigger enthusiastic and creative solutions and additions to Kodi. Views are always welcome and should there be skilled persons that wish to contribute to the software pile, we'll all appreciate the enhancements. 

Settings>player>language> preferred audio & prefer default audio is Kodi switches, then of course there is the OSD while playing a video. These functions are not ideal in all cases, and depending on how the file was encoded etc... The program MKVmerge Supplemental tools (wiki) will allow you to change/make order default audio. Subtitles can be toggled with the keyboard T key.

Using External players (wiki) it's possible to incorporate Media Player Classic. as your player if Kodi doesn't fit your needs.
(2023-08-21, 12:28)carmik Wrote: upvoting / downvoting enhancement
It's a nice idea which is implemented for knowledgeable users and mods as up-votes/likes.
(2023-08-22, 17:07)PatK Wrote: Settings>player>language> preferred audio & prefer default audio is Kodi switches, then of course there is the OSD while playing a video. These functions are not ideal in all cases, and depending on how the file was encoded etc... The program MKVmerge Supplemental tools (wiki) will allow you to change/make order default audio. Subtitles can be toggled with the keyboard T key.
I am aware of the functionality. The enhancement request was to provide for automatic selection of audio in case the user frequently views videos with varying audio languages.
(2023-08-22, 17:07)PatK Wrote: Using External players (wiki) it's possible to incorporate Media Player Classic. as your player if Kodi doesn't fit your needs.
Unfortunately all my Kodi boxes are Linux based (Open-/LibreELEC to be precise), hence MPC does not cut it.

Kodi is not a player for me. It is an entire ecosystem, one that had me hooked to buy the original Xbox and mod it not for gaming, but for enjoying my videos/music in style! Over the years it has evolved, but still no other software comes close.
(2023-08-22, 17:07)PatK Wrote:
(2023-08-21, 12:28)carmik Wrote: upvoting / downvoting enhancement
It's a nice idea which is implemented for knowledgeable users and mods as up-votes/likes.
So it's there, but not enabled for ordinary user accounts, right? Perhaps enabling it, if possible, on this sub-forum would be a nice idea Smile

As an open-source project, driven by for-free enthusiasts I can fully understand that one might implement new features (as this one) based on what he wants to. Having ordinary users voting for features would provide a good feedback of what the community would enjoy more/less in seeing in the future.

With that said, thanks for providing and continuing to provide endless hours of joy on your platform!
Are your files mkv?
You should be setting the language preference in the mkv file.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
On videos on many audio tracks provide flexibility in language choice0