Android Video playback stops working system-wide after Kodi goes to the background
Allow me to apologize in advance if this is a widely known problem. I've searched quite thoroughly and couldn't find any mention of it before asking.

I've been using Kodi for quite a few years now and obviously it is phenomenal, but I've always had a very specific problem with it when using it on an Android based platform.
I was originally using Kodi on a dedicated streamer (Xiaomi Mi-box) and whenever Kodi lost focus, which happened pretty often due the screen saver kicking in or merely me navigating to the home screen without exiting Kodi, I would no longer be able to initiate any sort of video playback.
Netflix and Youtube, for instance, would throw out errors when trying to play something and Kodi itself would also refuse to play anything. This would persist until I restarted my streamer, though on very rare occasions forcefully terminating Kodi through the apps menu would also work.

I've recently picked up a TV with Android TV, and the problem has increased dramatically on that particular platform. If I have Kodi lose focus and then try to open any other app (without even having to initiate any video playback) my TV essentially soft-locks by having the screen go black and since there's no way to restart it without resorting to violence I have no alternative than to power-cycle it to get things working again. This can be avoided by resetting my TV immediately after using Kodi, but is very easy to forget and also very incompatible with children.

Any and all advice on how to resolve this issue would be extremely welcome. Is this somehow a well known issue that I simply haven't been able to track down online?
To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

The instructions are here... Debug Log

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.
4.Upload the log to Kodi Paste Site manually or use the Kodi Logfile Uploader. (wiki) With either method post the link to the log back here.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file (wiki)

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Use the Kodi Paste Site. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
(2023-10-14, 23:21)izprtxqkft Wrote: To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.
By all means.

I originally assumed the log would persist between launches, so here's a log from launching Kodi after I was forced to restart my TV: https://paste.kodi.tv/ipaxusapeh
Looking around it didn't seem to contain anything overly useful, so here's another log of me just launching Kodi and playing a video: https://paste.kodi.tv/arunaxijoz

Sure enough, after playing said video, my TV got stuck. I'm not sure any of that would show up in the log seeing how this happens outside of Kodi, strictly speaking.
(2023-10-15, 08:38)HolyEggplant Wrote: Looking around it didn't seem to contain anything overly useful, so here's another log of me just launching Kodi and playing a video: arunaxijoz (paste)

so this is the log of something playing normally but then

(2023-10-15, 08:38)HolyEggplant Wrote: Sure enough, after playing said video, my TV got stuck. I'm not sure any of that would show up in the log seeing how this happens outside of Kodi, strictly speaking.

we need to see the broken log from 'after' not the log of a video playing normally
- if it is stuck and unable to get the log then after restart, the log uploader should offer an option to 'upload old log'

the mechanism is - kodi.log is current running process, when kodi starts and sees an existing kodi.log it will move kodi.log to kodi.log.old which is the log from the Last time kodi ran
Sadly after trying to grab a useful log for quite some time I must profess that I have failed.
However, this seems to be a variant of the issue described in this thread if not the very same one (my TV is a TCL TV as well) so I imagine I'll just keep my eyes on that one and hope that this gets sorted out further down the line.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video playback stops working system-wide after Kodi goes to the background0