Information Looking for clarification of TV Series Fanart "Rules" regardless of skin in use
I have a general question on TV series in general based on my extensive honing of my collection.

In the final phase of my local clean up and creating custom artwork like missing banners and season posters etc....  I started to notice that in TV shows (I use Media companion for all my transfers to Kodi), that the fanart on many of the different series actually are have season designators assigned on the image itself.

While this has nothing to with file naming which is not part of the inquiry and solidly understood, it is more about the actual image itself. The fanart image depending on the scraper would have the same season image itself used and stamped with text "Season 1, 2 3.... etc". While others are the same image for all of the seasons, with no text showing season, and sometimes a mix of the two with different images that may or may not have any text of the season or it might....

So a lot of "randomness" based on what the crawl returned.

My main inquiry even after some searching on Google and here....with no clear answer, what "should" the etiquette of the fanart background image be? Should it have season text so that if the skin could display it accordingly it would show? Does it not matter?

While the filename format is clearly documented, the image content seems to be the wild west of what is available. I certainly have the chops to make my own artwork, I'm looking for guidance of what it "should" be based on what the community would expect to find when scraped.

Can anyone provide some feedback on what the expectation should be for this inquiry?

Thanks.
Chris
Kodi: Nexus v20.5 | Skin: Madnox.redux : Current Version: 20.00.11 | Forum | Madnox.redux v3 Repo
Mr. V's Original Source
(2023-11-26, 19:02)kittmaster Wrote: that the fanart on many of the different series actually are have season designators assigned on the image itself.
It sounds like Media Companion can't distinguish between the two artwork types, or there is a setting that you need to adjust.

fanart = 16:9 image without text. Usually 1920x1080 or larger
landscape = 16:9 image with text. Usually smaller than 1920x1080

fanart is better suited for full screen displays because of their larger size.
landscape is used in a similar way to posters as shown in the following image. Fanart is in the background, landscape (your fanart with text) is boxed in the foreground
Not many skins use landscape images.

(2023-11-26, 19:02)kittmaster Wrote: While this has nothing to with file naming which is not part of the inquiry and solidly understood
Not sure you do. See how I have named my season artwork in the image...

(2023-11-26, 19:02)kittmaster Wrote: , what "should" the etiquette of the fanart background image be?
To recap...
fanart is no text and because of its larger size is used for full screen display
landscape is boxed into a smaller display size. You don't want to enlarge little landscape images or they will look terrible.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Thanks for the response. Here is an example where I did not make any changes to the images, just let MC do the scrape.  I can see now that from the site, the season 1 fanart is really the landscape image which is wrong.

Your feedback is exactly as I expected, fanart should have no text on it regardless if it is the main or season fanart... and that helps me verify my actions to correct are indeed correct.

Here is an image just for the sake of confirmation of what I have seen and hence drop the post inquiry. 

Thanks again.
Chris

http://www.kittmaster.com/imagedump/kodi/1923.png
Kodi: Nexus v20.5 | Skin: Madnox.redux : Current Version: 20.00.11 | Forum | Madnox.redux v3 Repo
Mr. V's Original Source

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking for clarification of TV Series Fanart "Rules" regardless of skin in use0