v20 Which -DAPP_RENDER_SYSTEM value to choose for correct HDR support on kodi-gbm
If one compiles kodi-gbm using -DAPP_RENDER_SYSTEM=gl, will the resulting binary be able to play back HDR video correctly or does that request -DAPP_RENDER_SYSTEM=gles?
Need help programming a Streamzap remote?
HDR metadata passthrough is only supported in gles.
My Samsung QN90B does not detect HDR compatible stream (and the colors are dull consistent with no HDR) when running my x86_64 linux box with kodi-gbm (compiled with gles) when I play back HDR_HEVC_10-bit_BT.2020_59.940fps_Camp_by_Sony.mp4 from kodi samples.  Note that I have the Adjust Refresh setting to "On Start/Stop".

By comparison, the tv does detect both "UHD" and "HDR" if I play the same clip from my RPi4B running Arch ARM (kodi there is tracking @popcornmix branch of gbm_nexus).

What is needed to have kodi-gbm/gles on x86_64 output HDR content?
(2023-12-17, 14:02)graysky Wrote: What is needed to have kodi-gbm/gles on x86_64 output HDR content?

This - https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/24160
(2023-12-17, 18:53)smp1 Wrote:
(2023-12-17, 14:02)graysky Wrote: What is needed to have kodi-gbm/gles on x86_64 output HDR content?

This - https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/24160

I can test it but there are tons of comments in the PR about how it isn't right... plus, it is not part of the gbm fork that plays HDR (on RPi4B).

EDIT: patching nexus with that PR did not allow for HDR playback using kodi-gbm/gles.
(2023-12-17, 19:26)graysky Wrote: there are tons of comments in the PR about how it isn't right... plus, it is not part of the gbm fork that plays HDR (on RPi4B).
There are no "tons of comments" and the PR is right. It merely removes the checks for MaxFALL/MaxCLL that should not be there to begin with.

Quote:plus, it is not part of the gbm fork that plays HDR (on RPi4B).
Why would it be? This has nothing to do with RPi.

Quote:patching nexus with that PR did not allow for HDR playback using kodi-gbm/gles.
With this PR the above mentioned sample would play with correct colors and it would switch my TV into HDR mode. Tested with Intel TGL and current LibreELEC master (Omega).
I haven't tired the Omega branch + that patch, just the latest Nexus.
Actually, that sample plays correctly on Omega even without my PR.
Does that PR + latest Nexus work for you?
I didn't try it on Nexus. Nexus does not really support HDR passthrough on x86. It is missing one crucial commit for that - this one. Omega has the proper support.
I will have to try omega and report back.  Thanks.
So booting into Omega + that patch allows for HDR detection but only if I start playback of the HDR video, unplug the HDMI, then plug it back in.  If I just let kodi-gbm boot to the GUI, and play the video, HDR is not detected.
Are you using AMD GPU/APU? I've seen this issue on AMD but not on Intel.
(2023-12-18, 00:04)smp1 Wrote: Are you using AMD GPU/APU? I've seen this issue on AMD but not on Intel.

Yes, it is a Radeon RX 550
you might want to file a bug report with AMD/mesa

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which -DAPP_RENDER_SYSTEM value to choose for correct HDR support on kodi-gbm0