Questions about how kodi finds / selects album cover art
I had Kodi (19.5) scan my NAS music library and later when I'm browsing the library I see the correct cover art for some albums and a generic icon for other albums.   In the case of generic icons, in those folders I have some file names like front.jpg and back.jpg but not thumbnail.jpg or cover.jpg.  I'm assuming there is a list of cover art file names that kodi might or does use when scanning a library, is this list accessible somewhere in kodi config menu?

I've looked here:

https://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/Media/Music#Artwork

but on my screen I don't see the line that has "thumbnail image files" but I see all the other items on that screen.

Also, if I add or create a thumbnail.jpg file to a folder that didn't have that file when Kodi did a library scan, will Kodi look for that file the next time I navigate to that album, or do I have to perform an entire library re-scan for that cover art file to be picked up?
You need to have your settings level option set to expert to see that setting.  "thumbnail.jpg" is not a default filename so you have to add it to the list in that setting.  Using those standard names implies you have music organized with all album songs in a folder, or possibly in subfolders for disk1, disk2 etc.  Otherwise if song file is tagged with cover art that art will be used for album art.  I think now added art will be picked up but you have the option of going to the info dialog for album and setting the art there.

scott s.
Ok so I've set the user level as Expert, and I've edited the list of Thumbnail image files so it contains cover.jpg as well as Cover.jpg (capitalize the first letter because I don't know if file names are case sensitive).

So I have duplicate entries (upper-case and lower-case first letter) for thumbnail, cover, front, etc.

But I find that even with this list, when I've put album artwork files that were missing in the appropriate album folders, even duplicating the names so there is both a cover.jpg and front.jpg (same file), and I do a perform an "Update Library" and I see it scanning the file system, it is sometimes picking up the new artwork for some albums and for others it's not.

I will do an "Update Library", then "Clean Library".

What I'm seeing is that for 2 albums, the cover art file is "front.jpg", and front.jpg and Front.jpg are in the list of "Thumbnail image files" (near the end of the list).  But those cover art files are not displayed for those 2 albums.  (I'm painstakingly going through my library seeing what albums are not showing cover art and then for each one trying to fix it manually).
(2024-01-06, 05:36)Sumguy Wrote: capitalize the first letter because I don't know if file names are case sensitive
Artwork names are case sensitive.
ALWAYS use lower case.

This page might help... https://kodi.wiki/view/Artwork/Album
and... https://kodi.wiki/view/Artwork_types#Music_Library

Artwork needs to be in the folder at the time of first scan of that album. Scanning an album, then adding artwork later and running another scan does nothing as the album which is already in the database is just skipped over.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Questions about how kodi finds / selects album cover art0