"Show video information" popup window instead of playing video file !
Hi Kodi users / helpers !

I am running Kodi on a Nvidia Shield and since the last update of Kodi few days ago, all video files stored in one of my favorites folder "series" are not able to be read by Kodi.
when I launch the file as usual, instead of playing it, a pop up windows appears : (translated from french gui) title of the pop up window - "show video information" / content of the pop up window "no informations avalaible" / button available of the pop up window : "ok", end trhe story, the video does not start.

I tried several different ways to launch the video file but no success at all...

Dear helpers, do you know this issue ? Is there a fix ?

Many thanks for your kind attention and help.

Regards.

Marc
What version of Kodi are you using?
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Something changed between Kodi 20.1 and 20.3, I think at 20.3.

You presumably have "Default Select Action" set to Show information". And a collection of videos with Content Type set to None (versus Movies or TV Shows).

At 20.1, a Select caused the display of an information dialog except when there was no information to show in which cause it played the selected video.

At 20.3, selecting a video with no information results in an error popup.

I find the 20.3 behavior quite irritating. I can see that it make some sense for the system to display the No Information error when the content type is Moves or TV Shows. However, if the content type is None, it makes more sense for Kodi to simply play the video.

If others agree, I'm happy to file a bug report on this.

In the meantime, you need to select the video and hit "Play" rather the "OK" that you're presumably more used to.
Haha, the behavior was changed because of a bug report that Kodi played the video when default select action was set to "info" and no info was available. So, you can save your time to file a bug. It would be closed. And before you ask, no, this will not be made configurable via a setting.
I guessed this was the reason and it makes a whole lot of sense for videos with the Content set to Movies, TV Shows etc.

Personally, I think it makes no sense for videos where the content type has been defined as "None". It's just annoying for folks that have a lot of those videos. But it sounds like there is little appetite for any discussion.
Hi,

Many thanks to all for your answers !

Karellen - My version of Kodi is 20.3.2

malch - Many thanks for all these informations, I quite agree with you, this popup windows with no possibilities of playing the file is a bit annoying.

Ksooo - I understand the point but when the "Default Select Action" is set to "Show information" and if there is no information to display, is it possible to add a "play" button in the popup windows "No avalilable informations" in order to let the user choose between "close the popup window and play the video" and only "close the popup windows" ?

Anyway I guess I have to modify "Default Select Action". Please where can I find this setting ? I am not an advanced user of Kodi, witch still a wonderfull app !!!

Again, many thanks to all !

King Regards

Marc
Hi KDMark,

I agree. Adding a Play option to the No Information dialog would be a great solution. No Information is not a fatal error so it would be much nicer to allow the user the opportunity to move forwards.

Try looking for the default select action setting under SYSTEM | Media | Video.

Best wishes,

malch
Thumbs Up 
Thanks malch. Have a nice week-end.
+1 on this.

A ‘Play’ option would be nice and convenient here instead of getting into the context menu to play the video. It’ll be a step shorter. 😀

(2024-01-26, 16:43)malch Wrote: Hi KDMark,

I agree. Adding a Play option to the No Information dialog would be a great solution. No Information is not a fatal error so it would be much nicer to allow the user the opportunity to move forwards.

Try looking for the default select action setting under SYSTEM | Media | Video.

Best wishes,

malch
This is an issue for me as well on my box with 20.3. My 20.2 box works as I expect it. I have a demo video clips folder that I don't want to scrape into my library. Just want to browse through file list and select file to play. Is this not possible anymore?
It's possible to play the video but the change is just incredibly irritating.

I can't believe that some folks seem to think displaying a modal "No Information" dialog is more useful than simply playing the video.

But that seems to be the ruling :-(
Either change your default 'select' action to 'play' or press the 'play' button.
Trouble is... I want "Show Info", if there is info available. Otherwise "Play Video".

Of course, it worked that way for years. And it was perfect.
(2024-03-08, 23:22)malch Wrote: Trouble is... I want "Show Info", if there is info available. Otherwise "Play Video".

Of course, it worked that way for years. And it was perfect.

I agree. I wish they’d just bring back the old function from 20.2 to make thing less complicated.

As you’ve said, if the ‘play’ function is chosen, library (with Info media) will be played directly w/o showing movie/tv details. With that, it’s a couple steps more and just annoying.
Well, conflicting requirements: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/23594

Whatever you change, there is always one guy requesting previous behavior. But we cannot make settings for everything. All this code needs to be maintained.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Show video information" popup window instead of playing video file !0