WIP Madnox.Redux ( Matrix - Nexus+ ) (WIP)
Just spent 5 worthless days trying to get Github to work, zero results, complete waste of energy. I'm pissed off and tired of the cryptic responses. Taking a break until I can find a solution that actually works.
Kodi: Nexus v20.5 | Skin: Madnox.redux : Current Version: 20.00.11 | Forum | Madnox.redux v3 Repo
Mr. V's Original Source
Break time is over, it took some wrangling and bit of help from a fellow skinner and multiple members of the Kodi team but we got it done. Had to make some adjustments to the script as it was not looking for a specific option, adjust the versioning because the defaults where causing an installation block and the general understanding of how to create a repository was not clear to me. Well, it is now, and it is operational.

Just to give some forewarning; I am making some minor graphics changes, but NOT to the engine that affects normal operation within Kodi or your day to day use, more of, I'm using the system icons like the logo itself for the installation repository and I'm adding my signature to it and up versioning the v2 status to v3 which will be reflected directly in the graphics of the repository itself. This will draw a clear line between (not in any form of condescension) old work on the skin to what I'm going to do going forward with the "new" skin and bug updating. I will be updating the reserved thread with an active link for you to try if you so choose. I'm just mentioning this now because I don't want users to get nervous that I'm making any visual radical changes, that is not going to happen.

What you are going to find now are 2 things regarding Madnox installation: One is the old way, just go to the repo, get the latest .zip file, install from zip and have at it..... however, you will never see updates that way and just hope for the best as dev continues.... the 2nd is now an active repository where you will install the repository in file manager, and then install the skin from within Kodi and also receive updates and/or notifications as I continue to release bug fixes, updates to support deprecated scripts and methods for Omega and beyond.

On a personal note: This was one of the WTFs that I described in post #1. It was a good learning experience at the expense of Dev time, but it really set the sail for being able to provide a better support mechanism and user experience than depending on emails to get the latest and greatest etc. The GitHub thing was probably one of the most frustrating things I've done in a long while hence my break post... but the Kodi team and a fellow skinner got us going....so Greetz to them!

I am still working on some graphics for the Repo before I create the link for it in Post 2, so it may become live tonight, or in the new day or so... the graphics are trivial and minor changes to syntax within the repo now it's working. Stay tuned.... we are now officially underway.

Greetz,
Chris
Kodi: Nexus v20.5 | Skin: Madnox.redux : Current Version: 20.00.11 | Forum | Madnox.redux v3 Repo
Mr. V's Original Source
Hi Chris, thanks for taking over. I sent you a PM with my discord info if you need some help.

It has been years since i worked on the skin. It was pretty much ready for the repo for matrix and I just felt burnt out, and thought next month i will submit it. That never happened and it fell off the radar, and i started to work on other personal projects.

I can help behind the scenes, and try to get it nexus ready with your support.
(2024-02-25, 02:27)gibxxi Wrote: @kittmaster

It might be a bit obvious to mention this, but I am assuming you've checked out Mr. V's GitHub page for Aeon Madnox as a starting-point for areas that were still WIP at the point Mr. V disappeared. It's also important to note that this skin has been worked on by at least 5 different developers (to my limited knowledge), across multiple revisions of Kodi. So it's no surprise to me that the code is a bit of a mess. But in the absence of anyone else taking up the mantle of keeping it alive in the same form and feature level as was originally intended, you have my thanks.

Smile

Dan / Gib.

Hi Dan,
Hope you are doing well. I am back and will help Chris if he would like.
Yeah i have seen on github others have forked and worked on the skin. I can't say from the forks of the skin how much of a mess it is. I do know the matrix version on my repo is a clean version and was ready for the kodi repo at the time. I can see Chris used my matrix repo for a starting point. So everything should be ok. The WIP was really more things i wanted to add to the skin, not really required. There probably was a few overlooked bugs that was not fixed, but i am here to assist if required, but not as the torch holder.

Cheers
Mr. V (Nathan)
Madnox 2.0
Forum / Source
(2024-03-01, 11:11)Mr. V Wrote: Hi Chris, thanks for taking over. I sent you a PM with my discord info if you need some help.

It has been years since i worked on the skin. It was pretty much ready for the repo for matrix and I just felt burnt out, and thought next month i will submit it. That never happened and it fell off the radar, and i started to work on other personal projects.

It might be a bit obvious to mention this, but I am assuming you've checked out Mr. V's GitHub page for Aeon Madnox as a starting-point for areas that were still WIP at the point Mr. V disappeared. It's also important to note that this skin has been worked on by at least 5 different developers (to my limited knowledge), across multiple revisions of Kodi. So it's no surprise to me that the code is a bit of a mess. But in the absence of anyone else taking up the mantle of keeping it alive in the same form and feature level as was originally intended, you have my thanks.

Smile

Dan / Gib.

Hi Dan,
Yeah i have seen on github others have forked and worked on the skin. I can't say from the forks of the skin how much of a mess it is. I do know the matrix version on my repo is a clean version and was ready for the kodi repo at the time. I can see Chris used my matrix repo for a starting point. So everything should be ok. The WIP was really more things i wanted to add to the skin, not really required. There probably was a few overlooked bugs that was not fixed, but i am here to assist if required, but not as the torch holder.

Cheers
Mr. V (Nathan)

OMG..... I feared nothing but the worse because no one had heard from you, even in private messages. I was rolling through your GitHub skin issues tracker and came across a response and feared the worse when I read it based on its context..... boy I am glad I to see I was wrong!!!

I think just your post alone will re-inspire most knowing that you're ok.

I don't use discord, but I do have an account, I'll make the connection. I will certainly inquire when I have questions on workflow and other "how did you's"... but not be a haunt because that serves no one well.... and I certainly welcome any and all help and critiques. As I mentioned to all when I took it up that I don't burn out on things and will run with this for a very long while to keep it fresh and active since I'm an exclusive user of it myself making it a win/win for all involved.

I really do appreciate you reaching out and letting us know you are good and offering support, it really is a breath of fresh air... and as you've probably noticed, I dived right into the deep end being being my first skin and all... but hey, you and the previous authors did all the heavy lifting, so really it comes down to bug hunting, feature enhancements, and deprecation avoidance type scenarios for a better user experience.

I'm sure there will be a few stumbles on my end learning different things, you'll probably see some of that when you visit the "dev skins" area where I have a few threads going / solved due to learning the Kodi dev ecosystem... and there will be quite a few head shaking moments of like.... wtf is he doing or how the fuck do you not know that type of stuff..... LOL. So strap in... it's going to be an interesting ride...  Wink

Good to see you and be safe!

Greetz,
Chris
Mr. V's Original Source
(2024-03-01, 11:11)Mr. V Wrote: It has been years

Hi Mr. V...

It's excellent news to hear you are well, alright and back! Smile
Keep well!

Sincerely,
Oscar
Nice to see you in here again Mr. V, and knowing you are well! Smile
HTPC: AMD Ryzen 9 7900 | AMD Radeon RX 7600 XT | 32GB DDR5 6000 | 2x WD Black SN770 1TB + 182TB HDD.
TV/Audio: LG OLED CX 77 | Yamaha RX-A3070 | 5.1.2 Atmos Speaker Setup

Software:
Kodi: v21.0 Omega | Skin: Madnox.Redux v21.00.11 | OS: Windows 11 Home
Ok, first update has been pushed out v.21.00.01. See post 1 to get the latest and greatest.

I highly recommend using the repository method to install, there are going to be a lot of changes and fixes going forward and I will not be coming back here to continually announce updates. 

I will be pushing the updates directly to the repository and let the automation notify you that the updates have have occurred.

I'll be watching for reported issues here as they arise and do my best to address them in a timely fashion, keep in mind I have things going in life, but I'll be here to acknowledge your concerns as I hate leaving people hanging.

I'm hoping for a smooth roll out of this first update.

Roadmap:

Replacing abandoned scripts to newer platform
Replacing deprecated methods being removed by future Kodi builds
Several bugs still on the books
Feature requests like vertical menus (feasibility view)

Let me know how it goes.

Greetz,
Chris
Mr. V's Original Source
Hey, great work on reviving the skin!

I'm using Omega beta 3, tried installing from the repo but it doesn't work.
Found addon.xml contains 
Code:
<import addon="xbmc.gui" version="5.15.0"/>

Changed it to
Code:
<import addon="xbmc.gui" version="5.17.0"/>

And now it's working on Omega beta 3

Will you make separate branches for different Kodi versions?
I'm not big in Github, but willing to help you with stuff like this!
(2024-03-09, 09:36)Fietspomp Wrote: Hey, great work on reviving the skin!

Found addon.xml contains 
Code:

Changed it to
Code:

Yes, that is the plan, I have the repo pre-staged for Matrix, Nexus, Omega, I just haven't gotten around to push and test it. I am aware of the .15 to .17, since Omega is still Beta, my primary focus has been Nexus with the leap to Omega which we know works... minus the moving the favorites dialog from one file format to another which has been strictly implemented yet... I imagine with Omega official occurs, it will not install on Omega for real if the files are still in Nexus mode.
Mr. V's Original Source
(2024-03-09, 14:46)kittmaster Wrote:

Found addon.xml contains 
Code:

Changed it to
Code:

Yes, that is the plan, I have the repo pre-staged for Matrix, Nexus, Omega, I just haven't gotten around to push and test it. I am aware of the .15 to .17, since Omega is still Beta, my primary focus has been Nexus with the leap to Omega which we know works... minus the moving the favorites dialog from one file format to another which has been strictly implemented yet... I imagine with Omega official occurs, it will not install on Omega for real if the files are still in Nexus mode.

Thanks for the reply.

I've been using the Mr. V's  Madnox on Omaga for quite a while and haven't seen any real issues to be honest.
Only thing what I did found, don't know if this is known, that image calibration doesn't work on this skin?
When switching to Estuary, it works and I can move the arrows/subtitle location. With Madnox I cannot.

Anyway I'll wait for the repo and in the meantime just adjust addon.xml everytime a new version comes out  Big Grin
(2024-03-09, 16:12)Fietspomp Wrote:
(2024-03-09, 14:46)kittmaster Wrote:

Found addon.xml contains 
Code:

Changed it to
Code:

Thanks for the reply.

I've been using the Mr. V's  Madnox on Omaga for quite a while and haven't seen any real issues to be honest.
Only thing what I did found, don't know if this is known, that image calibration doesn't work on this skin?
When switching to Estuary, it works and I can move the arrows/subtitle location. With Madnox I cannot.

Anyway I'll wait for the repo and in the meantime just adjust addon.xml everytime a new version comes out  Big Grin
Turn on the debugging log and watch all the deprecation warnings that are on the horizon. I still have to figure out how to address it all. It's like a damn where I'm plugging each hole with a finger, then another spout, and another.....10 fingers.... currently 7 in use. LOL.

Learning the ecosystem is interesting to say the least.
Mr. V's Original Source
(2024-03-01, 11:11)Mr. V Wrote: Hi Chris, thanks for taking over. I sent you a PM with my discord info if you need some help.

Smile

Dan / Gib.

Hi Dan,

Cheers
Mr. V (Nathan)

Hi Nathan / Mr. V,

So glad to hear that you are indeed OK. I did fear the worst when you went off radar for so long. Especially after what you told me about where you were after your prior 'break' (for want of a better word). What I will say, is that you went above and beyond in your efforts to keep this skin on the radar, and current, and for that, you too have my gratitude & thanks.

It's not out of the ordinary after putting so much time & effort into a project, as well as having to put in all that work without any other team-members to spread the load, that you would get to the 'burn-out' state of mind. Perhaps the two of you could collaborate and push the renovation of this great skin to the level it deserves.

I never imagined that I would become such an advocate or supporter of this skin. Back in the day when I was using Aeon MQ3, I didn't even like the earlier versions of Aeon Nox (v2 / v3). v4 changed all that. I am currently on BeatmasterRS' Arctic Zephyr Redo, so it seems I have a bit of a penchant for skins that are being rescued from the grave, lol.

Anyway, I don't visit these forums nearly as much these days, due to my own real-life issues, & lack of free time. Either way, thanks for coming back and letting us all know that you are OK. I hope you will continue to contribute to the community, even if it's only posting on these forums, rather than directly contributing to the skin's development. I wish you all the best for future projects, and again, you have my thanks for carrying the flag for the time you did.

Smile

Dan / Gib.
(2024-03-09, 16:12)Fietspomp Wrote: that image calibration doesn't work on this skin?
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/20509
Also
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=363553
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
@kittmaster / Chris,

Would it be possible to version-bump the addon.xml file for Madnox on your Github repo so that the skin can be used by Kodi Nexus at the least? As last time I checked, it was still using Matrix as the UI version requirement, and thus directly synching (via GitHub Desktop / SyncBack Pro) into my Kodi installs, Kodi throws up an error that the skin is not supported in Nexus. To facilitate this also for Omega once it goes gold, you may need to fork your fork and have repos for each Kodi version. Not sure as GitHub isn't something I know much about.

TIA,

Dan / Gib.
(2024-03-10, 04:08)gibxxi Wrote: @kittmaster / Chris,

Would it be possible to version-bump the addon.xml file for Madnox on your Github repo so that the skin can be used by Kodi Nexus at the least? As last time I checked, it was still using Matrix as the UI version requirement, and thus directly synching (via GitHub Desktop / SyncBack Pro) into my Kodi installs, Kodi throws up an error that the skin is not supported in Nexus. To facilitate this also for Omega once it goes gold, you may need to fork your fork and have repos for each Kodi version. Not sure as GitHub isn't something I know much about.

TIA,

Dan / Gib.

I did bump it for Nexus, you should be seeing it at .15 which is the Nexus requirementHuh

Unless I missed something else? I've been using Nexus and my own Repo to check dev on version 20.00.11 of the skin as a portable, so it is working here... ?

See images I snapped 5 minutes before this response:

Mr. V's Original Source

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Madnox.Redux ( Matrix - Nexus+ ) (WIP)0