• 1(current)
Information Running Kodi under Dune HD Pro One 8K Plus
Without hijacking other treads, I am creating this one.

I received my Dune HD Pro One 8K Plus a couple of days ago, and I think it has a great front end.  However, Kodi users want a Kodi **interface"?  

The Dune has it's own Kodi that runs under the Dune OS.  It plays everything flawlessly EXCEPT Dolby Vision.  The Kodi version is 20.2.0, compiled 2023-06-29.
Will a newer Kodi version play the Dolby Vision videos??  Not sure I can even update the Dune version of the Kodi app.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtxgSr1o9zE
Thanks for sharing the video. Looks like it's playing HDR10+ dynamic metadata correctly as that test file you played shows the contrast changing at the 5:15 mark as it should. This is good. With DV, I'm wondering if you can sideload the nightly v.21 here & test.
I'm not sure how to sideload a different version of Kodi without installing the Android operating system onto this device.

The existing Kodi it's part of the Dune OS I do believe.
I will try to figure something out to sideload it.
I had to use a couple different apps to side load version 21.0 beta 2. Compiled 24-01-29. Some of the newer versions affect the okay button so it doesn't work.

When playing back to the Future in Dolby Vision, there is a red tint. When I go back to the main menu, everything is green.

Edit: if I enable Dolby Vision compatibility mode, then Dolby Vision works okay.
HDR 10 Plus works okay also.
I watched a DVD rip with granddaughter and it actually played better using Kodi than the Dune app.
You will need to use this file if using Kodi and want Dune player:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<playercorefactory>
  <players>
    <player name="dunehd" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="true" video="true">
       <filename>com.dunehd.shell</filename>
    </player>
  </players>

<rules action="prepend">
    <rule name="my_rule1" player="dunehd" video="true"/>
  </rules>
</playercorefactory>

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...light=dune
Did you try netflix/prime video Kodi add-on cause it supports widevine L1 ?

What about netflix on android TV ? 4k ?

It's not possibile to load Kodi at startup or android TV at startup ?

Edit: ok I see your video there is Dune os from this you can lunch android TV , Kodi etc
(2024-02-14, 20:52)Roby77 Wrote: Did you try netflix/prime video Kodi add-on cause it supports widevine L1 ?

Edit: ok I see your video there is Dune os from this you can lunch android TV , Kodi etc
Dune uses a complicated OS.  If you enable the native Android, it runs side by side with the Dune Linux distro ( from my understanding).  So basically dual booting. 
Even though, this device seems to have all of the security enable hardware, none of the streaming services that I tried, worked.  I am guessing that each streaming service requires some kind of certificate, like Netflix.  Dune HD chooses to NOT get involved with the Google certs, so it can make changes without consulting Google.  

Dune HD, notes, that this box is NOT a streamer. 

I am not sure how to get Kodi to load up as startup.

After I tested Android on this box, and found that it really had nothing to offer me, I did a factory reset to just run the Dune HD OS.
Thank for your feedback
(2024-02-14, 04:52)Edworld Wrote: You will need to use this file if using Kodi and want Dune player:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<playercorefactory>
  <players>
    <player name="dunehd" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="true" video="true">
       <filename>com.dunehd.shell</filename>
    </player>
  </players>

<rules action="prepend">
    <rule name="my_rule1" player="dunehd" video="true"/>
  </rules>
</playercorefactory>

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...light=dune

Unfortunately, I don't know how to do that.
(2024-02-14, 04:19)clarkss12 Wrote: I'm not sure how to sideload a different version of Kodi without installing the Android operating system onto this device.
The Android TV option doesn't work to switch to that OS?
(2024-02-15, 01:26)hdmkv Wrote:
(2024-02-14, 04:19)clarkss12 Wrote: I'm not sure how to sideload a different version of Kodi without installing the Android operating system onto this device.
The Android TV option doesn't work to switch to that OS?
I was able to sideload the beta version of Kodi, without going into Android. If that's what you're saying?
Not quite, but if you managed it another way, that also works. If this player is anything like the Dune RTD1619 players, what I meant was, after switching to the Android TV option, you can plug in a USB drive or browse to a server location using ESFileExplorer, Xplore or similar to install the latest Kodi v.21 nightly. Wondering if the latest makes any difference in DV playback here?
(2024-02-15, 02:50)hdmkv Wrote: Not quite, but if you managed it another way, that also works. If this player is anything like the Dune RTD1619 players, what I meant was, after switching to the Android TV option, you can plug in a USB drive or browse to a server location using ESFileExplorer, Xplore or similar to install the latest Kodi v.21 nightly. Wondering if the latest makes any difference in DV playback here?

I did not like the Android version, so I did a factory reset and went back to strictly the dune OS.
So I sideloaded the beta version of Kodi and replaced the dune version of Kodi.
Now, Kodi plays with Dolby Vision, but I have to use the Dolby Vision compatibility mode. Otherwise I get red or green tints. Only on Dolby Vision videos.
Seems positive. Expect Dune will improve things as firmware matures.
(2024-02-14, 20:52)Roby77 Wrote: Did you try netflix/prime video Kodi add-on cause it supports widevine L1 ?

I am sorry, but I miss read your question about Netflix.......  I just now used Castagnait's repo to install Netflix addon.  I created a NFAuthentication.key.  However, the Netflix app was giving an error, so would NOT run.

So, out of curiosity, I ran the Dune HD version of Netflix, and not expecting much.  Obviously it is a touch screen version of NF..... 

When I tested a video, I was TOTALLY BLOWN AWAY!!.  

I used the air mouse function on the remote, to select "Band of Brothers", and when it played, the video quality is amazing......... From my TV stats, it is showing 2160P at 24fps, with HDR10.  That  is because of my Dune video settings.  The audio is only stereo....

So, in a pinch this device CAN play Netflix with very good video quality.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Running Kodi under Dune HD Pro One 8K Plus0