• 2(current)
Information Running Kodi under Dune HD Pro One 8K Plus
Thank you, but I don't get (probably I lost in translation or I am dumb) but what touchscreen version ?
(2024-02-15, 16:57)Roby77 Wrote: Thank you, but I don't get (probably I lost in translation or I am dumb) but what touchscreen version ?
You have to use a mouse.
Sorry man I don't want to bother you, but why it's not possible with arrows remote ?
(2024-02-15, 18:09)Roby77 Wrote: Sorry man I don't want to bother you, but why it's not possible with arrows remote ?

No, it is not possible to move around the Netflix interface with your remote, it has to have a pointing device like a mouse.....  Running Netflix on this device should ONLY be as a last resort..........
I have been testing Kodi extensively on this device. I just discovered that this new system on a chip from Amlogic, suffers from the same problem of not being able to play videos with the VC1 codec.
Thinking of buying this but just curious about the stability of Kodi itself. I remember running Kodi on the shield and Kodi often crashing after sleeping and waking the device this just seemed to be quite common on Android devices. Have you noticed any of this behaviour on the Dune ?
(2024-02-29, 15:51)banggun Wrote: this just seemed to be quite common on Android devices.

this is subject to your Kodi setup

Kodi is still unstable on Android devices "if you run custom skins and extraneous addons" due to resource limits of Android
Kodi can be very stable "if you use the default skin and limit the addons installed"

i know you're asking clarkss about this specific device but clarkss does not run custom skins or put a bunch of addons so the experience he should have is quite stable which may not reflect yours if you do
(2024-02-29, 15:51)banggun Wrote: Thinking of buying this but just curious about the stability of Kodi itself. I remember running Kodi on the shield and Kodi often crashing after sleeping and waking the device this just seemed to be quite common on Android devices. Have you noticed any of this behaviour on the Dune ?

I really don't recall Kodi crashing on any of my devices. 

The Dune Pro one 8k is a fantastic media player using it's own internal player, but the native Kodi, does NOT support Dolby Vision.  You can side load the Pre-release Kodi v21 and that gives you Dolby Vision playback.  Once Dune HD provides the playercorefactory script, then Kodi running on this device, will be hard to beat.

For the ultimate media player for your own media, this Dune Pro 8k is the best if you use the native player.

If YOU do NOT need Dolby Vision, the TOX3 running CoreELEC is also a great Kodi player.
Well yeah that's true I'm kind of sensitive to how the UI looks and behaves, not the biggest fan of Kodi's default skin but it's alright. More importantly would be that the interface is actually run in 4K the main reason I don't use my shield that much is because it's lack of 4k support in the UI fonts just look blurry, you could do all kinds of tweaks to make it run in 4k but the UI started to look pretty weird.

Thanks for the feedback I might be getting this. I might also not have a huge need for Kodi if there's a Plex client that renders the UI in 4k.
(2024-02-29, 16:44)banggun Wrote: Well yeah that's true I'm kind of sensitive to how the UI looks and behaves, not the biggest fan of Kodi's default skin but it's alright. More importantly would be that the interface is actually run in 4K the main reason I don't use my shield that much is because it's lack of 4k support in the UI fonts just look blurry, you could do all kinds of tweaks to make it run in 4k but the UI started to look pretty weird.

Thanks for the feedback I might be getting this. I might also not have a huge need for Kodi if there's a Plex client that renders the UI in 4k.

i can't disagree here, i spent the better part of a year tweaking and customizing the default skin to look more modern like Plex or Jellyfin or every other modern steaming app like Prime and Hulu
which only leads to having your own custom skin that cannot be updated when Kodi changes

hope you find what you need
(2024-02-15, 16:51)clarkss12 Wrote:
(2024-02-14, 20:52)Roby77 Wrote: Did you try netflix/prime video Kodi add-on cause it supports widevine L1 ?

What about netflix on android TV ? 4k ?

It's not possibile to load Kodi at startup or android TV at startup ?

Edit: ok I see your video there is Dune os from this you can lunch android TV , Kodi etc

I am sorry, but I miss read your question about Netflix.......  I just now used Castagnait's repo to install Netflix addon.  I created a NFAuthentication.key.  However, the Netflix app was giving an error, so would NOT run.

So, out of curiosity, I ran the Dune HD version of Netflix, and not expecting much.  Obviously it is a touch screen version of NF..... 

When I tested a video, I was TOTALLY BLOWN AWAY!!.  

I used the air mouse function on the remote, to select "Band of Brothers", and when it played, the video quality is amazing......... From my TV stats, it is showing 2160P at 24fps, with HDR10.  That  is because of my Dune video settings.  The audio is only stereo....

So, in a pinch this device CAN play Netflix with very good video quality.

Hi. Sorry to bump the thread again. But what exactly do you mean by the better video quality or picture quality. Do videos look better on this device and if so what's causing it? I know Zidoo has something like the VS10 engine that can make SDR content and remap it to DV or something so I'm guessing the better picture quality comes from change in color rendering? Or were you talking about upscaling? Also is the Dune better than the Zidoo in this regard. Lastly I'd like to ask if there is any Plex client available at all for the Dune I'm guessing there is but limited to a 1080p GUI?
(2024-02-29, 19:30)banggun Wrote:
(2024-02-15, 16:51)clarkss12 Wrote:
(2024-02-14, 20:52)Roby77 Wrote: Did you try netflix/prime video Kodi add-on cause it supports widevine L1 ?

What about netflix on android TV ? 4k ?

It's not possibile to load Kodi at startup or android TV at startup ?

Edit: ok I see your video there is Dune os from this you can lunch android TV , Kodi etc

I am sorry, but I miss read your question about Netflix.......  I just now used Castagnait's repo to install Netflix addon.  I created a NFAuthentication.key.  However, the Netflix app was giving an error, so would NOT run.

So, out of curiosity, I ran the Dune HD version of Netflix, and not expecting much.  Obviously it is a touch screen version of NF..... 

When I tested a video, I was TOTALLY BLOWN AWAY!!.  

I used the air mouse function on the remote, to select "Band of Brothers", and when it played, the video quality is amazing......... From my TV stats, it is showing 2160P at 24fps, with HDR10.  That  is because of my Dune video settings.  The audio is only stereo....

So, in a pinch this device CAN play Netflix with very good video quality.

Hi. Sorry to bump the thread again. But what exactly do you mean by the better video quality or picture quality. Do videos look better on this device and if so what's causing it? I know Zidoo has something like the VS10 engine that can make SDR content and remap it to DV or something so I'm guessing the better picture quality comes from change in color rendering? Or were you talking about upscaling? Also is the Dune better than the Zidoo in this regard. Lastly I'd like to ask if there is any Plex client available at all for the Dune I'm guessing there is but limited to a 1080p GUI?

I think the video quality of Netflix is because of the upscaling done by Dune.  But as I stated, this device is NOT for streaming apps, do they are NOT recommended. 

I did sideload a version of Plex and it would not even play the high bitrate videos............  So, that is NOT something that will run on this device.

Emby on the other hand, uses the Dune player, so it plays everything just as the Dune media player.
(2024-02-29, 20:00)clarkss12 Wrote: I did sideload a version of Plex and it would not even play the high bitrate videos............  So, that is NOT something that will run on this device.

Hmm that is very useful information. The more I read about both the Dune as well as Zidoo devices is that they or more or less primarily designed to playback local content rather then stream it over network. I almost exclusively stream all my content over the network and care little for playing back videos from local storage seems a bit old fashioned. If Plex doesn't work well I'd be inclined to try the plexkodiconnect add-on for it but as mentioned earlier I could imagine this would mess with the stability of Kodi a bit. I'm not sure about switching over to Emby for that ...
If you're talking about network streaming, like Netflix, these devices are not for you.
If you mean network streaming from a network storage device like a NAS, then these devices are excellent for media players.
Yeah actually I did mean as in streaming over network as in from a NAS. I know these players can play over samba/cifs but I haven't been able to experience the way they index media content and I have some doubts as to how much priority is given to these features in their software.

The fact that their native video playing software needs better integration with software like Kodi/Plex or other software makes me feel that the best experience is had when only using their own software. Given the longer track record of both Kodi and/or Plex I feel a bit safer knowing that I can rely on this software staying up to date in the long run. Of course given the fact it plays back 8k and most modern codecs it should be fairly future proof but you never know.

I'm also quite happy with my network server indexing media under Plex keeping track of watched content resume positions etc. I feel Plex is the most mature media server not to mention I've been using Plex for tidal integration on Plex but that's a whole different story .... But if you say Emby works well I might give it a go, it's just that I haven't been hearing much from Emby over the years I suppose moreso even now that Jellyfin is out there as well.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Running Kodi under Dune HD Pro One 8K Plus0