• 4(current)
Information Running Kodi under Dune HD Pro One 8K Plus
(2024-03-19, 11:45)banggun Wrote: Yeah that's the thing the videos do play at 4K but just the UI for some reason is 1080p only.

Another thing I've noticed with the Dune is that volume control doesn't seem to working over CEC adjusting the volume only seems to change the volume on the device itself either that or I'm missing a setting unfortunately there isn't much documentation on this device.

I don't use CEC on any of my devices, but this remote has a programable function.  I programmed my Dune remote to control my AVR's volume and TV's input.

Here are the instructions, it you have not already programmed your remote.  It is one of the easier remotes to program. 

You can program 4 learnable buttons (located in the "TV" section: "TV DOWN", "TV UP", "TV INPUT", "TV POWER") to control your TV or other equipment:

1. Press and hold the "TV" buttons UP" and "TV DOWN" on the remote control for 3 seconds. The indicator next to the “POWER” button will glow continuously.

2. Press one of the 4 learning buttons on the remote control. The indicator will begin to flash slowly.

3. Place your remote control and the other remote control on the table so that the IR emitters of the remote controls are directed towards each other and are at a distance of about 1 cm.

ATTENTION: If the training does not work (on remote control units of new 2023 revisions), then try increasing the distance to 30cm.

4. Press and hold the button on the other remote until the light on your remote stops flashing. This means that button training is complete.

5. If necessary, train other buttons in the same way (repeat steps 1–4).
Haha silly I completely ignored these buttons, they actually worked out of the box. Still muscle memory has me reaching for the "normal" volume buttons. In this sense the Zidoo makes a bit more sense but no big deal. Gotta say I am impressed with the performance in Kodi and have tested this now with PlexKodiConnect on the Dune it works perfectly. So in a sense Plex works with this device much better even then ZDMC I say which feels way more hacky mostly because the only way playback works well is when using the native player. The dune is snappy even with more demanding skins like Arctic Horizon though it sometimes slows down a little bit but then again I've seen this happen even on a more beefy PC, so not bad at all. As an Android device running Kodi so far I think this is the best experience. The only thing it struggles with is that if you use the automatic refresh rate option on the Dune itself it completely ignores any setting you have set in Kodi. That means that after you finish video playback the Kodi UI stays at the video refresh rate (e.g. 24/30Hz). This can be resolved by either exiting Kodi and or disabling these options. However it seems even if you disable the setting in Dune entirely it still doesn't seem to work well on Kodi as it doesn't seem to match the refresh rate when using Kodi's built in settings it seems the Dune somehow overrules whatever you set in Kodi. Not a big deal I guess if you have a TV that handles judder well but could be a warning to those that like to use this option.

I even had some pretty good results with Plex actually (even on pretty high bitrate files) but weirdly it seems to struggle after playing a few consecutive play backs and starts to get very slow on video seeking and crash.

A few points that I'm not too fond of with Dune HD:

- A strange bug that on occasion  the whole device seems to lose connection on Wired Ethernet. This sometimes lasts for a few minutes and then all seems fine again. Luckily this never happens when playing video but only when navigating the device (it may perhaps be related to the indexing of media)

- Not much in the sense of a community or documentation for the Dune. It is more of a enthusiast device for sure the website itself also feels more like a text document rather then a professional company website

- It's interface. Though I have to say from a technical point of view it is very polished and actually very pleasing to use but the look itself looks like a early 2000 device and feels very dated, if you don't care about that or just like the look then you're fine.

- No web interface to control the Dune HD itself (yes there is an API) but as far as I can tell not even a open source project that helps you with this (this is better handled on Zidoo). Mostly I liked to use the web interface for text input. Of course you can also just bluetooth connect a keyboard.

- Android 11 meaning 1080P will be a limitation for most UI environments. Then again Android 12 still seems very rare on these type of players. Also weirdly sometimes when exiting programs it takes me to the Android TV interface rather then the Dune HD app not sure why this happens.

- The lack of server based media indexing. If you don't use Kodi, Emby, Plex or Jellyfin the device has good options to change metadata but regardless of that I would always prefer doing this on a computer rather then through a TV interface it just takes a lot longer to work through big batches of media. If you are however great at managing and organising your content in tight neat directories it might work well for you. For those that like to watch anime however you will know that the are going to be exceptions no matter how nicely you index your files.

I would like to point out that thing that bugs me the most is that ethernet sometimes craps out for no reason. This is always fixed by a reboot but it seems weird. The other points are minor issues that I'm more or less ok with at this point
@banggun, what version of Kodi are you running??  Did you invoke the Android OS?
I'm running the current release candidate https://kodi.tv/download/android/ (32 bit as 64 is not supported I believe). I didn't do anything to change the Dune as it came out of the box. It seems to load the Dune app natively but you can switch to the android TV interface which I once did for a try out but then went back to the normal Dune media center. Another curiousity I ran into is that the native dune player has some issues with fancy subtitle animations such as color transitions (this caused subtitles to sometimes briefly or very shortly appear) which is more commonly seen in fan subs of anime content. This however is not an issue if you use Kodi as your default player.
In order to get Dolby Vision, I had to use the developers builds  kodi-20240317-172230e9-master-armeabi-v7a.apk.
Hmm I don't think that's the case as of RC1 anymore it plays Dolby Vision files just fine for me.
(2024-03-20, 22:46)banggun Wrote: Hmm I don't think that's the case as of RC1 anymore it plays Dolby Vision files just fine for me.

Strange, I tried that version a few days ago and it did not support Dolby Vision........  What TV do you have and does it show DV under TV info??  
I will try it again, but takes days to get it setup again.  The backup app does not work for me, so I have to do set it backup from scratch.
(2024-03-20, 22:46)banggun Wrote: Hmm I don't think that's the case as of RC1 anymore it plays Dolby Vision files just fine for me.

I just installed this version, Kodi v20.5 (Nexus), and it does NOT support Dolby Vision. You must be doing something different.
(2024-03-20, 22:46)banggun Wrote: Hmm I don't think that's the case as of RC1
(2024-03-20, 23:32)clarkss12 Wrote: I just installed this version, Kodi v20.5 (Nexus), and it does NOT support Dolby Vision.

20.x (nexus) is not supporting Dolby Vision other than in MP4 containers, that's why RC1 and the Nightly version 21.x works and 20.4 does not
(2024-03-21, 02:57)izprtxqkft Wrote:
(2024-03-20, 22:46)banggun Wrote: Hmm I don't think that's the case as of RC1
(2024-03-20, 23:32)clarkss12 Wrote: I just installed this version, Kodi v20.5 (Nexus), and it does NOT support Dolby Vision.

20.x (nexus) is not supporting Dolby Vision other than in MP4 containers, that's why RC1 and the Nightly version 21.x works and 20.4 does not
Thank you.
Apologies I didn't realise the link I posted didn't deep link to the "pre release" page on the Kodi website must be because of the tab based option but yeah I'm using that one Omega (RC). Hopefully it didn't mess up things too bad. I will say that the ability for using Kodi (with it's in built player) gives the Dune so much more flexibility over the Z9X pro. Almost makes me want to set Kodi as the default application to launch when starting the Dune. I've loaded quite a few add-ons so far including the YouTube add-on that some skins use to play back trailers and have yet to see Kodi crash. It does seem to fall back to Android TV interface everytime I turn off the Dune but it doesn't seem to exit Kodi cause when I relaunch it it takes me right back to where I left off so it's remarkably stable.
Little update I noticed that Kodi can't properly identify my display HDR/DV capabilities (LG C1) resulting in Kodi choosing HDR over DV when playing back hybrid HDR/DV mkv files. I reported it here.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...n=lastpost

I wonder if the same happens on your TV? It doesn't happen to me when playing back from Dune's native app.
(2024-03-22, 19:48)banggun Wrote: Little update I noticed that Kodi can't properly identify my display HDR/DV capabilities (LG C1) resulting in Kodi choosing HDR over DV when playing back hybrid HDR/DV mkv files. I reported it here.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...n=lastpost

I wonder if the same happens on your TV? It doesn't happen to me when playing back from Dune's native app.

I have a Vizio P65Q9-H1 that supports Dolby Vision AND HDR 10+ and I have NOT had that issue.
Thanks for testing this it had my recheck my current setup and I found that the culprit is my AVR being directly connected to the Dune so that Kodi can't properly detect whether my TV is DV capable. I'm guessing since Dune itself has options for you to manually configure this in their software anyway it doesn't work like that so it's mostly an issue I think for people using Kodi and having their AVR directly connected to it.
(2024-03-22, 21:34)banggun Wrote: Thanks for testing this it had my recheck my current setup and I found that the culprit is my AVR being directly connected to the Dune so that Kodi can't properly detect whether my TV is DV capable. I'm guessing since Dune itself has options for you to manually configure this in their software anyway it doesn't work like that so it's mostly an issue I think for people using Kodi and having their AVR directly connected to it.

Unless your AVR does NOT support DV, then it should work.  How old is your receiver?? 
My receiver supports everything EXCEPT HDR 10+, so I connect directly to my TV.  I then use eARC to send all of the audio codecs to my Yamaha AVR.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Running Kodi under Dune HD Pro One 8K Plus0