• 6(current)
Information Running Kodi under Dune HD Pro One 8K Plus
Don't know, don't own any Nvidia device...
(2024-03-26, 11:00)banggun Wrote:
(2024-03-26, 03:21)clarkss12 Wrote:
(2024-03-26, 00:26)hdmkv Wrote: It does? As in proper FEL playback? Just took delivery of an Ugoos AM6B+ to try CoreELEC with DV P7.

With all the discussion of proper playback of Dolby Vision profile 7, I'm not sure if the dune actually utilizes the correct profile 7.

Keep us updated on that Ugoos box that you just got.
I was tempted to get one also.
Sorry to get in this discussion but how would we be able to detect if Dolby Vision was correctly being rendered? I mean I'm all for getting the best player possible, at the same time if the difference isn't visible to our eyes then what are we still talking about? To my current understanding this sort of sounds like high-res audio discussion where we're talking about imperceivable differences of quality to humans or am I getting this wrong ?

I will happily agree with you.  I was happily going through my life enjoying what I thought was real Dolby Vision, but after reading the post on the CoreELEC forum, I am not so sure.  Does it really matter??  Probably not. But if you *think* you have an itch, you have to scratch it.
(2024-03-26, 12:53)Sholander Wrote:
(2024-03-26, 11:00)banggun Wrote:
(2024-03-26, 03:21)clarkss12 Wrote:  
Sorry to get in this discussion but how would we be able to detect if Dolby Vision was correctly being rendered? 

Easily with DV test files from here
Any particular test clip that shows if it is fake TV-Led DV??
Now that we have the correct playercorefactory script, we should NO longer have to use the Nightly Development Builds just to get Dolby Vision playback. I am going to install Kodi v20.5 (Nexus) version and see if it does indeed play DV with the Dune's player.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Now I am talking about the native player and not Kodi.  This is for the DV information.

Right now, if I set the DV output mode, to TV-Led, I still sent 12bit DV.  My understanding, it should send 8bits tunneling.  But then, I don't understand crap about this issue of DV.    Attached are two photos to show what I am talking about.

https://imgur.com/a/74QHEXJ
Hi All,
I also just got the Dune HD Pro One 8K Plus and am using Kodi (titan mod skin if it matters) Omega RC1 .. and nightly builds of Omega.
The Dune player has its latest (I think the 3rd) firmware update on it.

I installed kodi and all went fine. Everything runs much smoother than on my Zidoo Z20pro box.
Right now I am using it just for local HDDs / files.

I noticed that in kodi, the amount of RAM listed is 4gig and not 8.
Why is that? Seeing the player has 8, shouldn't kodi see it and access it?
I read somewhere that because kodi is 32 bit it will only access 4. I dont know if that is true or not.
If it is true, is there any way for kodi to accress the extra 4 gigs of RAM and use it?
thanks
(2024-03-26, 16:20)acevideo Wrote: Hi All,
I also just got the Dune HD Pro One 8K Plus and am using Kodi (titan mod skin if it matters) Omega RC1 .. and nightly builds of Omega.

I installed kodi and all went fine. Everything runs much smoother than on my Zidoo Z20pro box.

I read somewhere that because kodi is 32 bit it will only access 4. I dont know if that is true or not.
If it is true, is there any way for kodi to accress the extra 4 gigs of RAM and use it?
thanks
Where do you see the amount of memory available?
Based on simple fact 32 bit apps are indeed always limited to addressing up to only 4GB of memory and you are correct that this applies to the Dune as it only runs 32 Bit applications. I'm also not sure where Kodi shows these details though I think Kodi only shows the amount of free memory left but not the total amount addressable but I might be overlooking something.
BTW I've mentioned this before but since there are now more and more users of the Dune has anyone noticed ethernet wired connections dropping occasionally. It it always fixed by a reboot but still. I do have WiFi set as backup so it's no a huge deal but still I'm not sure if my hardware is cooked or it's some software related issue.
(2024-03-26, 17:30)banggun Wrote: Based on simple fact 32 bit apps are indeed always limited to addressing up to only 4GB of memory and you are correct that this applies to the Dune as it only runs 32 Bit applications. I'm also not sure where Kodi shows these details though I think Kodi only shows the amount of free memory left but not the total amount addressable but I might be overlooking something.

You can find the total and used amounts in settings>system>logging> and then turn on enable debug logging.
Also there is a 'system information' widget in the commands area when adding a widget. This may be part of the Titan Mod skin though.. I dont really know for sure. It gives memory/HDD space/ etc.. info.
(2024-03-26, 16:26)clarkss12 Wrote:
(2024-03-26, 16:20)acevideo Wrote: Hi All,

thanks
Where do you see the amount of memory available?

You can find the total and used amounts in settings>system>logging> and then turn on enable debug logging.
The 1st number is total, the 2nd number is used.
Ahh ok thanks. Yes I'm also fairly new to Android TV so I'm discovering things as I go. Anyway to get more in detail on your question about Kodi being 32bit that's definitely not a Kodi issue, there is in fact an armv8 package available (64 bit).

The trouble is that almost every Android box (including the Dune 8K) is running Android TV 32 bit OS so the limitation comes from the OS. The only exception to this rule seems to be Nvidia shield, that one does run and support armv8 packages. To be honest I'm also a bit stumbled why so many Android devices run both old Android TV operating system (usually Android 11 or older also preventing proper use of 4K in GUI environments) and on top of that a 32 bit version it seems pointlessly limiting to me but perhaps someone here knows the reason for that....
With the  Dune HD Pro One 8K Plus, I am not sure if the RAM amount/usage listings in kodi are correct though.
With the Zidoo player they looked correct, but with the 8 gigs in the Dune player, I think it is messing up the readings.
Occasionally I see weird readings like 102% used, or -2xxxxxxx% remaining. 

With the Zidoo box, about 80 to 85% RAM used was about max before kodi would crash.
With the Dune, I can go over 100% before I see a crash.. but even before the crash, the Dune player is running fine, it is not all sluggish like the Zidoo box when I approach 80% used.
So I am not really sure what is going on with it.

I have a large library and had to remove sources and rescan several times before I got the Dune player working smooth and fast.

When setting up local drives, the normal android>Data> etc... path that kodi defaults to could not be read by the player.
I had to move the path into the default 'movies' folder that Dune created when it formatted the drive.
From there, using an smb path to find the local HDD's made everything run slow, so I used the path of.. 'root file system>tmp>mnt>storage'... and then chose the folders and had kodi scan them from that path.
I probably could have just scanned them normally after moving everything into the 'movies' folder after the dune format, but didn't try it.
Its all working fast now so I'll leave it as is. I think, if I remember right, having to scan local HDD's via a SMB path was a Zidoo bug in the player.
(2024-03-26, 16:14)clarkss12 Wrote: Now that we have the correct playercorefactory script, we should NO longer have to use the Nightly Development Builds just to get Dolby Vision playback. I am going to install Kodi v20.5 (Nexus) version and see if it does indeed play DV with the Dune's player.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Now I am talking about the native player and not Kodi.  This is for the DV information.

Right now, if I set the DV output mode, to TV-Led, I still sent 12bit DV.  My understanding, it should send 8bits tunneling.  But then, I don't understand crap about this issue of DV.    Attached are two photos to show what I am talking about.

https://imgur.com/a/74QHEXJ
'But then, I don't understand crap about this issue of DV'

Go to the Dune site, there is contact info up there somewhere with a support email address.
After having the zidoo for so long, I was quite surprised that the Dune people in support actually answered questions, and fast too. 
I bought mine on amazon and the guy was very helpful, if he didn't know he asked someone who did, and relayed the answers to me.
I hope this isn't too big of a derail, but I recently got a Dune HD Real Vision 4K Plus, and am trying to get Kodi up and running on it.

Folks in this thread and others I've read mention that there's a default Kodi app in Dune. Is that limited to only certain Dune devices? The only applications that came preinstalled on my Dune are, I think, Smarttube, Shoutcast, and maybe normal Youtube? Is the Dune version something I can sideload, and if so, where do I find that version? I can, of course, download/sideload the Android version of Kodi, but it's not behaving very well, and I'm wondering if the native Dune version behaves better.

Also, and I know this is a longshot, is there a playercorefactory script to accomodate streaming apps in Dune?

How do you apply playercorefactory scripts to the native Dune app? I know how to do it to the Android app, but that's because I'm able to download and use file browsing apps in the Android OS. Is that possible under the Dune OS? 

Finally, and I may have missed it someplace in the thread, but are there any Dune settings in Playback or Video/Audio that you all are using to optimize running Kodi? 

Thanks for any help you might be able to offer!
Don't believe there's a Dune-specific Kodi build. Use any 32-bit Kodi ARM version you prefer & use this playercorefactory.xml script:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<playercorefactory>
  <players>
    <player name="dunehd" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="true" video="true">
       <filename>com.dunehd.shell</filename>
    </player>
  </players>

<rules action="prepend">
    <rule name="my_rule1" player="dunehd" video="true"/>
  </rules>
</playercorefactory>